Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My gp advised me last week that my uterus was measuring about 20 wks rather than 16 wks as I was then.  He said there could only be one of two explanations for this;

1.  My dates are wrong - was IVF so that's ruled out.

2.  There is more than one baby...

I had a scan at 8 wks at my clinic and a nuchal at 12 wks privately and was told it was a singleton pregnancy.  I don't know what to think now. 

I was just wondering if there was any other possible explanation? 

I'm feeling quite anxious about it - not that I wouldn't be pleased if it was twins but I just want to know.  My gp said I will have to wait until my 20 wk scan before we know any more.

Many thanks for your help.
petlamb

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Could you let me know your ET date and I can double check IVF dates to completely rule that out. IM me if you wish so it doesn't get lost on here.

Ruth

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Just to reassure you, quite often the pregnancy has a growth spurt which might make you bigger initially but will level out eventually. I was quite big until 24 weeks with my little girl and she was a normal size. Sizes of babies  in pregnancy is difficult to measure accurately without ultrasound before 24 weeks and after this time depends on the  the person who is feeling your tummy . You might find that if you saw someone else e.g. the midwife she might say you were the right size depending on your height, frame size etc. The other possibility is that you are having a slightly bigger baby.Is there a history of diabetes in the family? Diabetics may have bigger babies.There is unlikely to be anything wrong at all, this happens all the time ,if you are concerned can't you get an appt with your midwife for reassurance?
Ali

1 - 3 of 3 Posts