Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi both of you

I'm newly pregnant again but there's something that's been nagging away at me since my first delivery and I thought I'd ask your opinion...

I had intended to have a home birth but decided to transfer to hospital after several hours of labour when it became clear that there was still a long way to go and I couldn't use the gas and air without being sick. I had been pushing at home and couldn't stop until they gave me an epidural (probably pushed for 2 hours before epidural from 5.30am to 7.30am). Once the epidural kicked in the urge to push went away and I carried on having contractions. I was fully dilated when examined but not asked to push until about midday when they said that although my son was still quite high up I could push for an hour to try to deliver him myself before they would want to intervene.

The midwife told me how to push and got me going then left me with my partner and mum saying "When the number on the machine reaches 35 [or whatever it was], get her to push". She left us alone for more than half an hour. Literally no one checked on us or put their head around the door or anything.

Eventually my son was delivered by forceps at 3pm. He was fine.

My concern is that my son was put into a dangerous situation while I was pushing because no one was checking whether he was okay or distressed and I thought that the pushing bit was one of the most challenging times for the baby.

At the time I was so focussed on what I was doing that I didn't think about it but since then I've wondered if this is okay or usual.

Thanks for reading this - it's so kind of you both to give up so much time to put people's minds at ease. :)

Love VIL
xxx

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Hi

it is so difficult, and I'm sure your midwife felt the same as she was probably caring for 3 labouring ladies at the same time.

If this was a big issue for you or even if you just need to know it won't happen again, then you need to mention it on your birth plan and make them very aware of how worried you were.

There isn't a problem with you mentioning it, no-one will be funny with you but I don't blame you. I didn't want to be left on my own at all, even though I didn't want anyone to touch me ^idiot^

Take care x

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Oink, that's really helpful.  I'll mention it to my midwife when I see her next week.  It sounds like hospital midwives can be put in impossible situations looking after so many women.

Thanks for your help.  :)

Love VIL
xxx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts