Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

Welcome to 2005 and Happy New Year and good luck wishes to all :)

Thought we could start this year off with reintroducing ourselves to our members new & old, so come on tell us a little about yourself and say hello :)............... I'll start :)

Hello everyone, I'm Amanda and a member of the Fertility Friends Management Team. I've been a member on here for two years this month. I'm 36 this year....yikes !!

I live with my partner Ian and daughter Millie conceived through IVF in 2003 after trying for 10 years with various treatments.

We live in Southern England about 8miles from central London and I'm now a full time Mum, before that I worked in the mortgage industry for 14 years.

We're huge Disney World fans and have been to America numerous time, I also love shopping and Christmas is my favourite time of the year :) We've got two cats, one is ours and the other one just turned up one day and stayed with us ;D One day we would love to get a dog but will wait a few years until we have a bigger garden, I would love a Westie.

I'm really proud to be a member of this site and it's great to meet new friends and continue the relationships with the people I have already met :)

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
Hi all - great idea Amanda!

Happy New Year to you all and hoping it's a year full of magic, where dreams become reality!  Here's to 2005!

As you've gathered from my log in name - I'm Sue! and am mummy to my little boy, Iestyn Huw, who was born in November 2003, following 6 ICSI attempts over a course of 2 years. Our dx is primarily Male Factor, due to dh having Cystic Fibrosis - so we always knew we would not be able to conceive naturally.  In fact, right up until the early to mid 90's, men with CF were classed as totally infertile, as they had not yet discovered Surgical Sperm Retrievals and ICSI until then!

I have been a member of this site since the early days, May 2002 and have enjoyed making so many friends, helping others where I've been able to and really appreciated the support through my own (many) troubled times.

I have just turned 35 (prefer to look at it that way, rather than say I'll be 36 this year - THANKS Amanda!) and am a full time mum, having been made redundant from my role as Pensions Manager, when I was 20 weeks pregnant...... wonderful timing, I was never going to go back anyway!

I live in Bristol, have done since 1986 and am married to Dion. We have a Cocker Spanial who is now 11 years old, called Dexter.  I do have a cat - Tigger, who will be 15 this year, but now resides with my mum and dad in Gloucester where he is thoroughly spoilt.

I still have many dreams, would love to be able to have a sibling for Iestyn, though will never ever take for granted how lucky I am to have him.

Looking forward to hearing from the rest of you.

Love,

Sue xxxxxxxx

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi everyone - what a brilliant idea!

Happy New Year!

My name is Sammy, I am 33 years old, I live in London and am PA to the Chief Executive of a charity.

We found out in September, after trying to conceive for a year, that we had some problems and will hopefully be having our first ICSI cycle in Feb/March.  We are both feeling excited but also a little bit scared, not quite sure what to expect - but very much looking forward to getting started.

I have been a member of this site for about 2 months.  The support from everyone has been fantastic it is great just to speak to others in the same boat.  I would also like to thank everyone on the management side that keeps this site going - you do a fab job.

I look forward to speaking to you all soon.
Love Sammy x

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi everyone,fab idea,
I am Lisa I have been a member of this site for 2 years this month,and am mummy to Hannah Chelsi,who was conceived at Care Notts via Icsi,we where very lucky to egg share I had 19 eggs in total to share,and was very pleased to become pg 1st time.
I am married to Clive he is 47,me 34,Clive had a vas refersal in 1998 that was succsessful after 18 years,but sadly no pg after trying,we was dx with sperm antibodies,i had pcos in my teens that dissapeared in my 20's,i also have endo.
On examination at care was told the antibodies where not the actual factor,and was told theer is no reason by a pg could not have happened.
We live in Hopton ,Norfolk,in a rural holiday village next to the sea,and have a staffy called star who is 10,we did have rabbits and guinpigs and lots of reptiles but only a few reptiles remain.
Before I began tx i was working in the retail industry,but have taken time out to be with Hannah,and to retrain,I do a lot of voluntary work with Surestart and they have trained me as a breastfeeding support worker,i am studing towards doing my entry into nursing/midwifery,hopefully2005/6

This is a fantastic sit,been to 2 meetups and working on dh for the next.

speak to you soon
love lisaxx

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hello to members old & new!

Just want to welcome any new members reading this to Fertility Friends and to say this is such a wonderful site and you will really find both the content and member extremly valuable.

I am Chick66 & I am one of the chat room mods of Fertility Friends, I can usually be found in the Chat Room on a Friday night!. I've been a member of FF since my first IVF, converted to IUI in November 2003.
I have a fabulous partner called Andrew, he's an estate agent & trainee surveyor.

My infertility 'experience' beagn when I was in my teens and diagnosed with pcos, knowing this affected fertility, when I became settled with my now ex-partner, we started ttc. Nothing happend, given 6 months of clomid, nothing happend still & I was refered to a wonderful gynae and proceedures commenced in 2002. I had a laparoscopy which, in a nutshell, showed that the left ovary and tube was useless, I was suffering from massive adhesions (scar tissue) blocked tubes & endo. I had the affected tube, ovary and adhesiuons removed in May 2003 at Royal Glamorgan Hospital in Llantrisant, where I have had my 2 attempts at treatment.

Before the op, I was added to the NHS IVF list. My appt came about in November 2003. During the period of injecxting the drugs, my ovary failed to responded, doses were upped but eventually on CD 18, the cycle was abandonned. My next cycle commenced that following Jan, again abandonned at CD16 due to poor response.

The next step was more surgery...Ovarian Diathermy via Laparoscopy. The lap showed more damge to the remaining ovary, partially, this right ovary is 'dead', so my next steo is to have that and the blocked portion of tube removed. Whether we then go for more treatment after that is still uncertain. I've now moved hospitals as my gynae moved, I'm now being treated at Merthyr, Prince Charles Hospital, which, lukcily, also carries out NHS fertility treatment for which I am eligible for if we want it.

Outside of FF, I am a qualified dental nurse, I work as and when with an agency because of depression from the last year but hoping to go back full time soon. Spend a lot of time with my DP, Andrew & his parents. We like going out, love our food and generally we are making the most of glasses of wine and the occassional boozy night (the most recent one where I had to be carried home!). Andrew's also a brass band player, playing the Bb Tuba, I play but am on the other side of the musical fence & play flute, hopefully if we are blessed with children, they won't have a musical bone in their body, at least then we don't argue about whether they shouldl be Brass or Woodwind players!

We live just outside of Cardiff, shortly to be moving up to Pontypridd, at the moment, we're not supposed to be in the catchment area for Prince Charles Hospital, although our wonderful gynae has pulled some strings and got us there in the end! Love living in Wales as I am originally from near Bristol, as my Grandma says, I won't be going back, I've been kidnapped by a Welshman! We get married on Dec 3rd this year, really nervous but looking foward to it so much as well.

I have also applied to study Mental Health Nursing, and hope to commence that as soon as possible.

I love this site so much, I love the people here. I hope you find it as useful

Chick xx

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi  ;D  im karen im 36 from plymouth iv had an ectopic after tubal surgery then had ivf but it didnt work but im still smiling now iv been told that ivf is free for 1 time on teh nhs,    have a son hes 15  and my husbnad has been a brilliant father to him but we want one of our own so if this free ivf comes into line in april im goin to give it another go  thats all there is to know about me but i am here if anyone wants to talk then just leave me a message..... happy new year to all :-*

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Great idea Amanda  :) 

Hiya everyone, welcome to Fertility Friends and the year 2005!  I hope the coming year is incredibly kind to each and every one of you and that this is the year when all our dreams are realised. 

I'm Jayne and my dh and I have been married for 6 years in July, although we've been together now for just over 12 years.  We have both lived in Cardiff all our lives, and have had our treatment at the Cardiff Assisted Reproduction Unit. 

In Jan 2000 we had our second DIUI cycle (dh has azoospermia) and were eccstatic to discover I was pg with our son Jack.  Then in Jan 2003 we were about to embark on a 3rd DIUI cycle and I was looking for success rates, and info on the net when I discovered Fertility Friends.  I was addicted instantly, but didn't quite realise at the time what a special place FF would hold in my heart, along with all the people who post on here.  This place has been an invaluable place of support to me and I can honestly say it'd be like my right arm had been cut off if it no longer existed.  Scarey thought!

Fertility Friends supported me through the incredible disappointment of a cancelled cycle in Jan 2003 and then through my cycle in Feb 2003, the horrendous 2ww, and the joy of discovering I was pg with our gorgous son Ben.  I continue to feel support to the present day. 

Although my main dreams have been realised, I will never take my boys for granted, and will never forget the pain of the 5 years of ttc we went through before being so blessed and I just want to provide as much support now to as many people as I am able who are suffering the cruelty and pain that infertility brings.  I also want to share their joy and celebration also as their dreams come to life. 

At the same time as this though, I still get an awful lot out of the site personally.  I made some good friends on the boards whilst going through treatment and pregnancy, and love hearing all of their news.  I will finally get to meet with most of those people at the big meet in April.  Really looking forward to that!  :) 

I feel honoured to be part of Fertility Friends and am so thankful to Tony, Mel and Jessica for giving this support lifeline. 

As for me on a personal level, I work 3 days a week for a housing association, but mostly deal with supported accommodation for people who have mental illness like autism, etc. extra care housing for the elderly and sheltered accommodation for the elderly.  Am currently training in the area of protection of vulnerable adults.  This job is all a bit new to me really as it changed whilst I was on maternity leave.  I used to work within the development side of the association, which dealt with the purchase of land and development of housing for whatever need.  Actual housing management itself is all a bit new to me and therefore I'm finding myself on lots and LOTS of training courses.  Beats spending all day in the office though  ;D 

Oh, I'm really addicted to the Sims PC game at the moment too  ;D  As for hobbies in general, well my boys and FF are my main ones, and to be honest, there's not much time for anything else  ;D

So, that's enough waffle about me  :) 

Love

Jayne x

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
This is definitely a good idea - Thanks Amanda for suggesting it.

I first stumbled across Fertility Friends in September 2004, and it has been a wonderful source of support for me. Our story is a little different to many in that my partner and I are both female, so when we started talking about starting a family a few years back, the first hurdle we had to overcome was where we were going to get the sperm!

We found our first donor in the summer of 2003 - one of our friends agreed to donate to us and we began by inseminating my partner. After five months of trying we lost our donor because he started a new relationship and his new partner was very uncomfortable with him donating to us. It took us four months to find our next donor, after a few false starts, and in the end we found ourselves going with a man we met online. Despite our initial concerns about using a virtual stranger as a donor, we've been very pleasantly suprised by this man. He's been amazing, going out of his way to travel to us whenever we've needed him often with minimal notice. He's also very fertile, having already got three children of his own and a number of successful donor arrangements too and is an all round nice bloke. We feel very lucky to have found him. We're self inseminating at home using the 'traditional lesbian method' of a plastic pot and a syringe and our donor will have no parental role at all, but will be contactable should the child desire it.

The other change was that when we began to inseminate with our new donor, we tried with me. This was partly due to how we felt it would fit for us after trying with DP, but also linked in with her job and promotion opportunities. I've been suprised at how similar the feelings have been regardless of which of us is being inseminated. Ultimately, we are to be the parents of the child we conceive, and the biological link seems irrelevant.

I have endometrisosis and borderline PCOS, but we've managed to avoid having medical fertility treatment so far and I've found that reflexology and herbs have regulated my cycle enough for us to be able to manage our own insmeminations. I seem to be ovulating fine too. Clomid has been suggested as an option should I want it, but I intend to continue to try without it for a while first. We're lucky in that we both have wonderfully supportive families and a great GP and we've had no opposition to us trying for a family. With luck it will stay that way. I doubt we'll ever reach the stage where we try more complex fertility treatments such as IVF. We've both already had to come to terms with idea of parenting a child that has no biological relationship to one of us, so adoption will probably be the next step for us should our TTC efforts eventually be to no avail.

And the rest: We live in Birmingham, although we're thinking of moving back to Shropshire in 2005. We were both living there when we met and we miss the green open spaces. I'm 26 and work as a web/graphic design trainer in a HE college and DP is 36 and is a psychologist working with adults with learning disabilities. We're both into organic veggie growing and I'm training to be a naturopath and herbalist on the side, hoping to qualify in 2006/7.

I've been keeping a journal of our TTC journey which has also been an essential part of my survival over the last eighteen months. It's online and can be accessed through my profile info if anyone is interested in reading it.

Thank you to everyone I've met so far on these boards. You've all been wonderful. I look forward to meeting many more of you in the future.

Gina.

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far :)

Anyone else care to re-introduce themselves ?? :)

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Great Idea Amanda!  I'll continue then....

I am Belinda and I joined FF in August 2004 ... I have recently become a site moderator.

I am just 38 yrs old and my husband Acos (greek if you are wondering about the name  ;) ) is 43 yrs old.

We started icsi tx in 2003 after 18mths of being messed about on the NHS with investigations - our problems are Male Factor and I have pcos, but so mild that I didn't know I had it until I was scanned.

It seems that despite needing icsi, maintaining a pregnancy is our possible latest issue, so I am currently deciding when I want to have immune tests and when we will start our 3rd icsi ... it will be in 2005 (as I am not getting any younger  ;D) but I am not mentally there yet!

On a personal note, we live in North London, have been married 14 years  ^scared^  and I run a Design and Marketing Company with Acos .. Acos is a graphic designer and I have been in media and marketing for 14 years before I decided to join Acos's company!

This site is truly wonderful ... I have made some great cyber friends and learnt loads!

Good Luck to everyone who joins and may all your dreams come true!

Belinda x

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
What a great idea, wishing all our old and new members a wonderful 2005, hoping all your dreams come true, well 1st stage anyway as what would be life if we didn't have dreams x

I have been a member for almost a year, when we started our first IUI, am 30 next month and have been married and ttc for 3 1/2 years, my husband has 2-5% normal forms which is why we were recommended to try IUI, after 3 failed attempts, we moved to IVF and got lucky with our 1st go, I know how amazingly lucky we are, there are so many inspirational stories on here, from people who have had many many goes at tx and I admire you all, I am not sure I would have been strong enough to have another go had this attempt failed, so just got to keep thanking our lucky stars.

Today is the first day I was brave enough to add my ticker so its a bit of a milestone Wednesday for me  ^banana^

We live on the edge of Oxfordshire in a little village, but close enough to the M40 to not be too isolated, no pets as DH says I need to learn to look after him properly first  ::) .... I am tad lazy and hate housework, work in IT hence why I can post lots.

I have made so many friends on here and have received so much support, thank you guys, love you all Candy x

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Great Idea  :)

Hi everyone im Kee, Hubby is Pat (im just been corrected in March he says)! ;D

I started thinking we had problems starting our family when i had come of the pill in June 02, 3months before we got married and then the New year of 2003 realised i had not fallen pg! went to drs and am now at Jimmys (Leeds) awaiting ICSI. I have PCOS and non existant periods and dh has a very low sperm count with very low motility, howeveer fell pg naturally in Aug 04 but sadly suffered m/c after lots of problems it was established i had m/c one baby but was also having what they call a slow m/c too yep i was expecting twins!

One consolation is at least i know i can get pg! however it does not always ease the pain!

My goddaughter is my world at the moment along with my Hubby!

We have a cat Thomas who is four in April.

I feel honoured to be a part of this site and have met lots of friends who are there for you through tick and thin! Lets hope 2005 is your year too.

Love and kisses to you all and thank you

Kee & Pat

SEnding you all  ^Cuddle^ and lots of  ^fairydust^ but be sure to do lots of  ^BMS^ and who knows you may get your  ^milestone^ and have a dream come true with a  ^BFP^ ^babycrawl^  ;D

G

·
Hello all

My name is Charlotte and I have been a member of ff since september I think.

I found out in september that I have pcos (which I think I have had since I first started having af's at 13 :-\. My DH, Owen and I have been married for 4 years this October and have been ttc for about 2 years. DH has not had SA yet as he passes out in hospitals, so he is getting up the nerve to try and oversome his problem and hopefully we will be able to have it done. I still love him more every day and his problem with hospitals will never change how much I love him :-* :-* ::). I had a h.s.g in November 04 and found out that I have 1 tube blocked, but since the h.s.g i have had i AF naturally (the one for hsg was induced). so i am hoping when i go and see Dr on 14th Jan he may put me on clomid ^reiki^ ^reiki^.

we live in Birmingham and have a son who will be 10 this march ^scared^ ^festival^. we have no pet's well apart from fish.

May i say thank you to all on this site. this place was a huge help to me when i was dx with pcos, i love you all ^DizzyLove^ ^jumpin^ ^rainbow^

Love Charlotte & Owen

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Hi Amanda,

What a good idea, this site is a little daunting! I joined about 3 days ago so still learning my way around.

I'm Sal and DH is John. We have been ttc since I came off bcp in May 2003. 20 cycles now. Have had investigations and I appear to be working OK but DH has poor sperm count with low count, motility and morphology.

We have been told by NHS consultant that only realsitic way forward is ICSI and have just started to look into this. It is so expensive, scary!!

I am currently just totally gutted and cannot bear to think our life may be childfree, dh is alot more positive than me and still thinks it will happen on its own but is ok to go forward with ICSI.

On a more personal note, we live in sussex near the sea, have been married for 3.5 years and ride motorbikes in our spoare time!!!

Will have to get a side car if this treatment works, lol.

Looking forward to getting to know you,

love sal

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello there ^daisy^

I'm Veronica and have been part of ff for about 6 months now, lots of viewing but not much posting.

My DH, Simon and I have been married for 7 years and ttc 5... have had a host of tests, and they are still not sure whether I have PCOS or not, everthing else seem fine... we were referred to Bart's in July, through the Norfolk fertility clinic.. and are now waiting more blood tests at my next cycle. I am also on a major weight loss campaign- before any further treatment... something I find really hard! :-[

We live in Norwich and have a dog  and 2 cats. I work full time, dh is disabled so not working.

all the best for 2005 everyone!  ^Queen^

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hello

Happy New Year!  My name is Angela and dh is Steve.  I am 27 and dh is 41.  DH had an unsuccessful vasectomy reversal in 1998 and we have been trying to conceive ever since.  We have had two shots at ICSI at Aberdeen Fertility Clinic in Aberdeen and the second one has been successful!  

I discovered this site in October when I was on the 2ww.  It has been an absolute lifeline in what has been both the most wonderful and stressful time of my life.

I work full time as a lawyer and dh works offshore.  We live in Aberdeen with my 4 dss and a very old cat (who I don't think is going to like the baby very much).

Currently just hoping and praying that everything goes well with the pregnancy - I can't believe that our dream is coming true.

Lots of love

Angela

·
Registered
371 Posts
My name is Leni, I am 35 and have been married to Andy, (31) for 8 years. We live in Runcorn, Cheshire. We both work from home and are both 'puter geeks! LOL Andy runs his own 'puter business and I used to be a primary school teacher but gave it up 7 years ago as we went backpacking around Indonesia and then Andy got a job in Canada, so we lived in Edmonton, Alberta for a couple of years. I now make soaps and bath bombs etc, which I sell online and at Craft Fairs. I also do a little web design work and private tutoring on the side. We have a cat Tallulah who is a real cutie, and is not too keen on children! When she sees them she runs away, especially from our 18 month old nephew!

We have been ttc for 6 years. No IF probs with Andy, it seems that I do not ovulate every month but other than that our diagnosis is unexplained. Over the past 2 years I've had 6 cycles of Clomid, 3 IUI's and 1 self funded IVF. We are about to embark on our 2nd cycle of self funded IVF, with possible increase in stim drugs. So fingers crossed this will be our year.

I joined this site in May 2003, it has been wonderful to find a place so full of support and good cyber friends. Have been to a couple of meet ups which have been great. I would be lost without this place, it is so good to know that you are not alone.

Much love and luck to all
Leni

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hiya all fertility friends

My name is Emily, i am 32 and my dh is 36

I have been using the site for a year and i am a chat room moderator.

I can normally be found in chat on a tuesday and sunday evening, and hold a fortnightly chat session on endometriosis once a fortnight.

We have been ttc since 1992, we have been able to get pg but not stay that way long enough.

I also run the support group for Peterborough area fertility friends and hold a meeting about once a month.

Hoping that 2005 will be a good year for all us ff ladies and that lots of babydust is spread.

Lots of love to my fertility friends
Emilyxx

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
Fab idea Amanda!!

Well im Suzie aka Olive!! and i have been a member of ff since Jan 03 ( i think?) which is a year i guess! and i am a chat room moderator.

Im 27 and have been married to Andrew for 7 years and i have pcos. We have been ttc for about 4 years.

I have had far too much clomid to mention and some ovulation induction cycles.
Im due to start some more ovulation induction cycles which may turn into iui any day now so fingers crossed 2005 will be the year!

FF is a fantastic community to belong to and i have made some friends for life , the support and love for each other is amazing and long may it continue!
I have been to one meet and am definately going to the next so bring on April!!

Love to all
suzie aka olive xx

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
What a great idea Amanda, thank you.

Hi there, my name is Emma and I'm 29.  I've been with my Fiancee, Trevor, since June 1993, and we've been engaged since 5th November 1995.  We started ttc in 1996 and was put on Clomid when tests showed I had PCO and was not ovulating.  We were started off on 25mg which done absolutely nothing so we were incresed to 50mg.  

I was due to have a lap and dye done when I found out the 50mg had worked and we were expecting Daniel (who will be 7 on the 20th Jan).  I think the nurse who performed the prgnancy test was more shocked than us, I'll never forget the look on her face when she came into our cubicle, pulled the curtain round and said "this has never happened to me before.  Your pregnant"  she was so thrilled for us and for the next week or so I walked around in a daze.  The pregnancy was not without complications and we went through everything from severe morning sickness to having an amnio as blood tests showed we had a high risk of having a downs baby (1 in 64).  We had the amnio, and all the paranoia and fears we were losing the baby afterwards.  Luckily aftera gruelling 3 week wait for the results all came back fine.  The rest of the pregnancy was filled with more morning sickness and bad heartburn.  Just when I thought things were settling down, the completion date of the house we were buying got delayed and I got pre-eclampsia with the panic and worry.  We completed the sale of the house on 9th January, moved in on 16th, was admitted to hospital on 19th and had him after an induced 2.5 hour labour.  He was born at 4.48pm weighing 5lb 1/2 oz and was gorgeous, I was totally in love, and forgot all the bad stuff I went through the previous 8 1/2 months.

We waited for 18months and then I came off the pill, sadly the pregnancy had not kicked started my hormones and I was in a worse position than before we had Daniel.  I started considering going back on Clomid and was researching the net when I came across FF.  I regsitered in March 2003 but didn't start posting until around Sept 2003 when I prepared to take Clomid.  After 4 failed cycles 2 @ 50mg an 2 @ 100mg the hospital refered us for IUI and was lucky that we could start almost immediately.  That was beginning of Nov 04, but unfortunately I failed to respond to those drugs as well.  I'm now awaiting a lap and diathermy next month, when hopfully my ovaries will be given a kick start and we can then get back on with the IUI.

This site has been an absolute god send, it has armed me with so much knnowledge and offered so much support that I'm sure I would not be where I am today without.  It is for that reason tht I was proud to be accepted as a site moderator last month, it means I can give somthing back.

Looking forward to hearing the stories of many more of you.

All my love

Emma xx

1 - 20 of 39 Posts