Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little confused and would like a little ^feedback^ please.

I am currently due to start a cycle of ICSI, after a failed IVF cycle, am drinking the usual amount of water you are supposed to but to make it a bit more interesting i am adding lime cordial to it, yesterday i got told off saying that lime cordial can cause infertility, is that true??  or it doesnt help with fertility????

Am v confused as i love it in water.

Kelly xx

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi

i havent heard that this is a bad thing to have while ttc and have checked out a couple of websites and they suggest if you want to cut down caffine intake then try something refreshing like lime cordial , sorry cant help much , maybe someone else might know

love suzie aka olive xx

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Olive for your quick reply.

Another question if someone can help, does it affect the mans sperm in any way as this isnt the first time i have heard of this??

Sorry for asking such silly questions  ^idiot^

Kelly xx

·
Registered
390 Posts
Kelly,

these are not silly questions, we just take extra care of what we eat and drink when we want this to happen so much.

The only thing I can think of re the lime cordial is that it may contain the artificial sweetener aspartame which should be avoided during ttc and pregnancy.

I had 2 litres of the stuff in the cupboard and when I realised, the lot went down the drain!!

Good luck with your ICSI  ^reiki^

Sheelz
xx

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sheelz,

Just wondered if you could let me know why you are supposed to avoid the artificial sweetener aspartame whilst ttc? I have sweetener in tea and didn't realise this and am now a bit worried!

Kelly x

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi Kelly,

sorry hun didnt mean to worry you :-[

Zita West mentions in her book to avoid aspartame as it can have an adverse effect on ttc and she goes on to say that it can possibly cause miscarriage

Not all sweetners used for tea/coffee etc have aspartame in them, but I find for peace of mind it's easier just to avoid them. It is sometimes found in any foods/drinks labelled 'diet' or 'sugarfree'.

Please dont worry

Sheelz
xx

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Sheelz for your replies, I am now going to bin my cordial, am gutted as i love it with soda water!!  Oh well back to the basic water and a slice of lemon!!

Take care and thank you xx

·
Registered
100 Posts
kelly,

just to repeat what sheelz said about aspartum, my consultant also mentioned this was something to avoid if possible. As i understand it (please correct me if i'm wrong Ruth) Aspartum is a bi product of formaldehyde ( spelling?) , the stuff you use to pickle body parts in! - which is why we dont want it in our bodys!! - sadly muller light yogurt's have it in which i found hard to give up!

Not heard about lime cordial, but best avoided if any doubt!

Love lucy lou xxxx

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Hi Kelly

I think that Roses & Waitrose lime cordial don't contain aspartame....though please double check. I know that Tescos does, we have a bottle of each at home! I prefer the one that contains only sugar  :)

love

Camilla

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you girls so much for your replies, will look into it more on the bottles, otherwise will stick with plain old water.

Kelly xxxx

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just wondering, could the same be said for Diet juice, as they are full of sweeteners?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Gutted
I have been sipping loads of lime and soda as a poor substitute  for wine and soda-thought it was the only drink I could pretend to myself had alcohol in as I am no longer drinking!
strawbsxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How funny, same here, normally drink it with Vodka which you can never taste in it anyway, so i thought i was doing good!! oh well  ;D ;D

Kelly xx

·
Registered
390 Posts
Stina

yeah, most of the diet juices contain aspartame too.  I get really annoyed when I go shopping cos I have to read every food label going and it's surprising just where they do put it!!

I'm a glass of filtered water and slice of lime/lemon girl at the moment, or supermarkets do a lemon High Juice, which doesnt contain any artificial sweetners.

Sheelz
x

·
Registered
390 Posts
Lucy Lou,

you're right it is associated with pickling body parts, but I didnt want to totally freak anybody out!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Sheelz
x

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Camilla, you are right, just checked out Roses lime cordial and it doesnt contain aspartame, still not 100% sure on drinking it though!!

Pickled body parts  ^roflmao^

Kelly xx

·
Registered
299 Posts
try organic squash - i have some at home can't remember the name! it comes in a green glass bottle - no aspartame or other additives just good old organic fruit and sugar(small amounts). it is quite expensive but makes more drinks than normal stuff as it has so much fruit in it.

i have been mixing 1/4 pint of pure fruit juice with 3/4 pint of soda or fizzy spring water and it tastes great! nice and healthy too

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well this is why i emailed the question as i am sure i have read somewhere and been told that it does affect the men????

What a question for me to ask, sounds like i have got everyone worried and also worried myself big time  :-\ :-\

Will definitely try the organic squash, went to the supermarket today and stood and looked on all the fruit bottles, sure i was getting strange looks  ^idiot^

xx

·
Registered
99 Posts
After reading these postings I have started looking at drinks labels. Today I found out Fanta Lemon has Aspartame in it. What else is going to be a voodoo drink with this sweetener in it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.