Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been in hospital for 3 weeks before the day i gave birth due to high blood pressure and eventually diagnosed Prue eclamsia.

I was due to have my section on the 29th May, as one this was my option after careful consideration and two Harrison my boy was breech so even if i wanted to change my mind i couldn't.

The weekend before i had my section i was let home as i had been in hopsital for a while and i only lived around the corner, the docs agreed that i could have weekend leave, but i had to go back twice daily to be monitored. I went home on the Friday night, and i had been having some pain for the past few days but on the Friday i went home, i was on all fours in agony, the Saturday morning i went in to be motored and my blood pressure was 113 my booking in figure was 67 :eek: i knew i wasn't going anywhere other than back upstairs to the ward :-\

Docs did some more tests and something came up on my liver function but they couldn't really explain what it was, they did mention Cholestatis and although the doc said this is what it was my consultant wasn't 100 percent sure, but my pain was getting worse and the only way to stop it was to be on all fours, i stopped eating as i kept being sick, and my indigestion was terrible nothing and i mean nothing stopped it. By now i hadn't slept for about 3 nights i didn't even bother to get into bed, as no matter which way i lay it was SO uncomfortable and really hurt me.

The docs had already agreed they would bring the section forward to the Thursday the 15th, as there was some complication over neo natal and as i was only 34 weeks we needed to make sure there were cots available. At one stage i was told i may have to go to south London ^idiot^ as this was the nearest unit available..but they managed to secure cots here in stoke. Anyway, come Monday i was in so much pain whilst crying i begged the consultant to do my section earlier than Thursday and he finally agreed as i was 34 plus 5 he would sanction the section to go a head the following day the Tuesday the 13th May.

The day arrived and Simon turned up at the hospital, really nervous, so was i but i was in so much pain i just wanted them out. ^bigbad^ The section went well, considering what a baby i am, in fact in a strange sort of way i enjoyed it. The staff were really friendly and reassuring they really made me feel at ease, the first twin was born Harrison at 11.36 weighing 4lb 13 then a minute later Izabella was born weighing 4lb 7 :) :) Simon then went out to tell parents and text friends whilst i was stitched up and wheeled into the recovery room with my beautiful babies :)

But this is where it all went wrong, i was talking to a midwife about something and nothing waiting for Simon to come back when i just said "oh i feel like i am leaking" and she said "it could be your catheter" and moved back the covered, to reveal a massive blood clot as big as the babies.... just then Simon came into the room, the midwife pressed the emergency button and doctors, and nurses came from everywhere and i was rushed back into theatre :(. Basically i had emeried and had to have 6 pints of blood plus plasma, i had to have a balloon inserted and my uterus repaired. Simon was told an hour later that i was fine and they were just finishing off. however, things got worse i had some form of reaction to the drugs which were given to me and my whole body started to swell, my lungs swelled up and i couldn't breath and my heart couldn't beat as there was no room. I came in and out of consciousness and saw everything that went on, i remember thinking i was going to die and saying to Simon who came into the room for a while but not long, that i loved him and too look after the twins. Simon was told what a state i was in, but not to cry in front of me, this was the hardest thing he ever had to do :'(. I was fighting to breath for about 4 hours, but i was starting to get tiered so someone from intensive care came over, and it was agreed with Simons permission to close my body down and put my into a controlled coma ^pray^.

The twins had gone to the ward with Simons mum and sister whilst Simon and my parents came over to intensive care, only Simon was allowed in and apparently sat with me til midnight before getting kicked out.. ^hugme^ he was told that the consultants would make a decision at 8.30 in the morning what they would do next and when they would bring me out of it. Simon arrived at 8.15, and at the same time i just woke up myself as if nothing had happened. I was still on oxygen but was eventually allowed to go back to the maternity block the delivery suite in a side room to recover later than day.

I was on 2 units of oxygen, and the plan was to slowly take me off it and for me to hold my own, but i was still very weak. All the rest of that day doctors and consultants came in and out, taking blood, and scans and monitoring me. All i wanted to do was sleep but i was bombarded with questions and more doctors etc. At 11.30 that night, my consultant came to see me, wearing jeans and a leather jacket i asked him why was he here to see me at this time and wearing jeans. He answered he was just passing and thought he would pop in! ^idiot^ I knew something was wrong as a consultant doesn't just "pop in". He told me not to worry and get some sleep.

6.30 the following morning, more doctors started to arrive and by 9.30 my consultant turned up again. He brought with him a scan, and said that basically i was on 2 units of oxygen, and that it had been increased to 13, as i was struggling to breath again. He showed me the scan and said that my right lung had callapsed :eek: He then told me, that i had to return to intensive care :'( :-\ to the high dependency unit.

This was the worse part ever, when i arrived there i had to have this big mask over my face for 24 hours, i think it was called a cpap..? i hated it, it blew air into me but covered my face and was fixed on tight. It was damp like condensation and made my face all sweaty. I couldn't talk whilst i had it on, and by this time felt really sorry for myself. During the night i had nodded off, and when i woke i had forgot about this mask, i then started to have a panic attack and was crying and screaming (not that i could be heard with this thing on my face) the nurses had to hold me down as i was trying to take it off :mad: :-X i was really scared (when i was in intensive care before i was in a coma so not aware of anything but this time i was awake and it was SO scary) by now i was being held down, and one of the nurses was on the phone, and another nurse stabbed me with something, it calmed me down anyway what ever it was. Within 20 minutes Simon arrive, they had called him to tell him i wasn't behaving so he came to me, and stayed with me holding my hand for the rest of the night :).

The following day, my stats had got better so i came of this big mask and got put on a smaller one for 12 hours, i was then given the ones that are like two little tubes that go up your nose.. the day after that i was eventually allowed back over the maternity block in the recovery room again, and the day after that i was allowed up to ward where i eventually saw my babies. :) :) by now it was Monday and i had given birth on the Tuesday.

My babies had been on the ward for a week being looked after by the midwifes and Simon who was juggling visting me, visting the twins and running our business (bless him) ^hugme^ but this was where the next blow came, i had only been with the twins a few hours when a doctor came to me, and said that they had lost more than 10 percent of their birth weight and just weren't feeding right. They had no alternative but to take them down to neo natal. It felt like i had only just got them back to have them taken away from me again :'(. The twins were in there for just under two weeks.

I was finally discharged after a week, but had to go back for physico and to be monitored. Its been 4 weeks now, and we are all home doing well. Since being home i have lost my voice which apparently according to my doc is shock due to the trauma and could take a week, a month or a year to come back, and i am still on a concoxtion of tablets for blood pressure and my heart which again i could be on for life but who knows.

But today just under 4 weeks later, i am lying in the back garden in the sun and the twins are happy in their chairs in the shade. :)

I later found out from my maternity records, that my liver, had packed in working as well as my lungs and 85% of my kidneys also failed... but i am now at home with my twins happy :)

The final thing i found out was that what happened was due to me having HELLP Syndrome which is a complication of pre eclamsia. And the most scariest thing ever is, the difference of a day could mean the difference between life and death.. and the head doctor over intensive care told me if they hadn't of sanctioned the section for the Tuesday and left it on the Thursday or even the 29th and i wouldn't be here telling this story now :eek:

The body is an amazing thing... not 4 weeks later and i feel fine :)

I would go through it all again if it meant getting my twins ^babycrawl^ ^babycrawl^

http://www.apec.org.uk/hellpsyndrome.htm

/links

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
All I can say:

WOW!!!!!

What a dramatic and stressful time for you all!!

So glad to hear you are all doing well.

Congrats xxxx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Lisa ~ what an amazing story  :-* Im sorry you had to go through so much, but so happy your relaxing and enjoying your 2 gorgeous children

Congratulations

Nikki xx

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
I don't know you hun but feel compelled to post after reading your incredible story.  And now that I'm writing I don't really know what to say...  Never has 'with complications' seemed like such an understatement!  ^hugme^

Huge congratulations on the birth of your twins of course, but gosh, what an unbelievable and traumatic sequence of events. I'm just so glad you all came through it and thankfully had the care you did.  Great to raise the profile of hellp syndrome too - I'd never even heard of it.

You're a remarkable woman and HOORAY for being here to tell the story, and to be doing so well too.

Take care of yourselves and enjoy each other!
Love Trip x

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Lisa your birth story is amazing, congratulations on being able to put it down in words hun.  Congrats on your beautiful twinnies.

I'm not sure if you know about the birth afterthoughts service but you may benefit from speaking to someone about your ordeal.

I hope your health continues to improve daily and your very soon back to yourself.

Bev xx

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks bev, the hopsital have referred us and someone is going to call us.  They havent yet, but i imagine they will.  We have also been reffered to a baby massage person, as we missed the first 3 weeks of bonding with the babies.

It all seems like a bad dream i had a long time ago, not real life that happened less than 4 weeks ago ^idiot^

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
OMG i thought i had a rough time!!
Lisa what a heart rending story!! I dont think i breathed whilst reading!!
What a scary time you had and i am so glad that you are better now hun  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

x x x

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Huge hugs Lisa  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ I don't think I breathed either whilst reading your story. What an ordeal for you to go through. So glad you are safe and at home with your beautiful babies now. Keep resting as much as you can.

With lots of love and strength to you

Rachel xx

·
Registered
507 Posts
a huge congratulations,

just read you story and it made my eyes fill up  :-*

glad your all on the road to recovery  ^hugme^

love Hayley & Vince x

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
**Lisa** said:
Thanks bev, the hopsital have referred us and someone is going to call us. They havent yet, but i imagine they will. We have also been reffered to a baby massage person, as we missed the first 3 weeks of bonding with the babies.

It all seems like a bad dream i had a long time ago, not real life that happened less than 4 weeks ago ^idiot^
I can't recommend our local service more, it was truly invaluable to me I really felt like I was cracking up at times (and didn't go through anywhere near what you did). I hope your experience with the afterthoughts service helps you as it did me.

Bev xx

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
hi lisa,

i had been wondering about you as i havent seen you post on the twin bumpers or twin mums threads.  cant believe what you went through, you poor thing.  i had a traumatic time following my section but not half as traumatic as yours.  so glad to hear that you are all home and doing well.  congrats on the birth of your precious babies!

Anna x

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Hi Lisa,

I was sorry sorry when your friend said on the twin thread that you'd been so poorly.

I am SO sorry to hear you had such a rough time, and really really relieved that you're now on the road to recovery and enjoying being at home as a family.

Take care x

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
OMG! what a scary time for you and your family, especially your DH. he sounds like a real rock. well done. Well done you, too, for pulling through - you are right, the body is an amazing thing indeed. I am glad you are all home and doing well.  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ and congratulationson the birth of your babies. xxxxx

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
OMG lisa

just read your birth trauma  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ i am so sorry you both had to go through all of that but made very special with your twins, lovely names btw  :-* :-*

i hope you keep well now and well done for fighting through such a tough time  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
OMG!!!  I was practically in tears reading your story  ^hugme^  I had a fairly rough time following a disastrous lap and dye last November and it was touch and go at times.

I'm so glad you are home and happy now with your twins.  You're obviously a bloomin strong lady!!

x x x

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Well I was sat here in  :'(

Thank god you and your twins are safe and well.  I thought having my 2 was bad enough, but nothing like what you and your family went through.

Sharon xx

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
^hugme^  :) Glad all is well xxx You are one brave MummyXX 

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
OMG !!!!!!!!!

You brave lady and im so glad your hear too tell your story - congratulations on becoming a mummy *& well done DH for keeping you altogether & himself!!!

Enjoy your babies ..

Luv Sweetcheeks & Drew xxx

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Wow.  How incredibly brave you and DH have been.  I felt compelled to post to say I'm so glad you've all come through such an ordeal and are now home with your babies.  Take care,

Tracy xxx

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
OMG  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: jesus, you really went through the mill, you poor thing  ^hugme^ glad you came out of it ok though with 2 gorgeous babies

1 - 20 of 26 Posts