First of all, I'm really sorry to hear about your early losses.
I agree with the other comments about being mindful of stats. I haven't cycled at ARGC so can only comment on what I've read and heard from a friend who has, but I think they do generally transfer maximum permitted number of embryos. That aside, the program is very tailored but you're paying for it. It's true they will turn you down if CD2/3 bloods aren't in their preferred range and then get you to return the following month to check again. They also focus a lot on immune and close monitoring both pre- EC and post-transfer. If you've suffered from early miscarriage this could be particularly reassuring. I had a friend cycle there and it was every bit as intense as your read about. She had all the Chicago immune tests done and tested positive so took all their advice re immune drugs and really threw her heart and soul into it but it wasn't to be - but even that course of treatment with the negative result cost about £20k. We met with ARGC as I'm almost 42 and they also appear to have slightly higher success rates with older women but I really wasn't wild about the consultant we met and given that in our case it's probably more of a numbers game, figured we could probably have c. 3 cycles at the lister for the same investment as one at ARGC! I think if you got a positive result you could probably be looking at another €5k on top for the monitoring. If you had that little bundle of joy at the end it would be worth every single penny, but it is a huge investment.
We decided in the end to stick with the Lister as I have confidence in our consultant and I think they have great embryologists and a good lab. I think if you have known recurrent miscarriage issues they probably would monitor you more closely anyway. I think the only way to know is to speak to one of the consultants and see what they suggest before you make up your mind. Not sure if that's of any use but I always like to get lots of different opinions on things!
Have a little look on the 'Low AMH/High FSH' thread. A few of us there believe they may be trying to avoid E/C on Saturdays. Of course, this is just anecdote, and we don't have any real evidence other than our own experiences, which may count for nothing, but it may be worth asking around.
I have had scans and I think Et on a weekend although when I had my last EC it was on a Monday and I was the 14th person and I said wow it’s busy and the anatethists assistant said this was because they will try and push people over to fhe Monday rather than doing them on the weekend if they are able to but obviously if they need to be collected on a weekend they will but they do less people on a weekend.
I hope you don’t mind me joining you lovely lot? I’ve been quietly loitering on this thread for a couple of weeks now deciding whether I wanted to join a group for this cycle or not as I feel so nervous this time around. Turns out I really need some others in the same boat to keep me sane!
Little brief on me:
Infertility due to hubby having azoospermia. I’m “OK” apart from some endometrioses.
1st IVF was in Sep 2014 and resulted in my gorgeous little one. Due to various reasons we did not try for a sibling until last year- Nov 2017. Sadly despite a good fertilisation rate (5 from 6 collected) and all embies still going strong at day 3 by day 5 we only had 2 questionables left so they pushed to day 6 which gave us an average quality blast which was transferred. Of course that resulted in a BFN. It consumed me having the failure, partly because I knew we would could only do it one more time, and has taken a few months to pick myself up and jump back on the TX wagon !
So this is it- our last chance for a sibling! We just can’t afford anything more than this!
I am on exactly the same protocol as before and started my Suprecur D/R injections 9 days ago on 11/08/18 after having the lovely scratch done 09/08/18. I had the scratch done on both previous cycles so seeing as the 1st worked I feel it’s something I have to do lol!
So today is CD1, I was SO relieved that she arrived on time! Called the clinic and have my baseline booked for Wednesday morning I hate the baseline- it’s gross but at the same time I love it as it means starting stimms! All being well and based on my previous 9-10 days stimming I am estimating that collection will be either Sat 1st or Sun 2nd Sept.
Trying so hard to eat well but coffee is my vice. I’m down to just 1 caffeienated a day now but I know that I should quit that too! Taking the usual pregnacare conception and omega 3 as well as b-vit complex, co-q10 and l’arginine. Whether the last 2 have much influence I don’t know, my consultant believes its all anecdotal but I feel like i’m doing something! Having a small glass of Pom juice daily and already doing my brazil nutsx6 too. Oh and a bottle of Lucozade Sport lite a day. Eating copious amounts of sweet potato and steamed salmon. ANYTHING to make this cycle work!
Hope you are all well? Anyone else looking at similar dates to mine?
Myself and my partner have been looking around and we think we are going to cycle with Lister. I am 25 and my partner 29 who originally had poor morphology 0% and low sperm count 1.4 million - however with changes to diet, stopping hot baths and taking Fertilsan M he has managed to get his morphology up to 3.5% and sperm count to 6 million so we still need to go down the IVF with ICSI route. We have identified no issues with myself.
I was wandering what all your experiences were of Lister. One thing that concerns us is the funds, and whether we take the risk with a programme using Access Fertility or taking the risk because of our age and trying just the one cycle and saving us thousands. :\
Their success rates are above the national average and there seems to be many positive review. We are overseas so may be more difficult for us, but we could travel to gatwick and train there which takes about 30 mins. Does anyone know if they are happy us having scans at home and then them sending the results to them.
Hi Pnut Butter and welcome to the thread I love your username - although it's making me crave Reese's peanut butter cups which are currently strictly not allowed !!
Great news that you have already made great progress with your partners morphology. Every improvement is a step in the right direction. If you click on my username and then 'show posts' you should be able to find a post I made on this thread a couple of weeks or so ago about my experiences of cycling with the Lister and also using access fertility.
You have age on your side, and there seem to be plenty of couples who just need a little bit of help and have success first time around, however even for younger couples it's not at all unusual to still need a couple of attempts as it's impossible to know how your body will respond to particular drugs. Sometimes the first cycle is a bit of a learning exercise for the consultants. At your age the offer is quite different from Access Fertility as I think they offer some kind of refund scheme for 2/3 cycles and not sure what the pricing is for comparative purposes.
What I would say is this. I believe that if you do everything direct with the Lister you will pay for every blood test, blastocyst culture, freezing any embryos not transferred, then pay individually again for every frozen transfer and keep on paying bills and never knowing when it's going to end can be quite stressful in itself. Whereas with Access Fertility, depending on the nature of the offer of course, you know that you're paying for a complete package with all the blood tests, culturing, multiple frozen transfers, etc. for a fixed fee and all you need to pay on top is the drugs. The other benefit of Access is that if you sign up for multiple cycles, it feels like it takes some of the pressure off the first cycle as you know you have already made plans for next time around. Everyone is different but for me, the actual IVF process isn't the tough bit, it's the emotional rollercoaster and trying to make rationale decisions when you're in an emotional state. I think for a lot of people one of the most difficult things is deciding the next best step if you don't unortunately get the result you're hoping for. If the decision is already made, it just takes that pressure away.
It's a tough one though as it is such a big investment and you have the additional trvale costs too. With regard to the Lister accepting scans made elsewhere, I'm afraid I couldn't really comment on that but if you phone the clinic they may have a formal position on this and be able to give you a response straight away.
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me - very helpful indeed! I think I agree with you there about the emotional side of things and takes the pressure off if you know you have already paid for a 2nd or 3rd cycle. To be honest with you I think even if we were successful first time we wouldn't worry about the money at that time because we would have a beautiful baby hopefully!
I see you are planning or have proceeded with your next cycle. Hope this all works out for you both!
Hope you all had a great weekend and that your cycles are progressing well. I just wondered if you can help me with a quick question please? For anyone cycling at the lister currently, what time of day are they calling you with your blood results please?
I had my baseline scan last Tuesday and by shortly before 5 I hadn’t heard from anyone so sent an email to the nurses and left a vm and someone called me back at 1715. I was never sure if they called because they picked up my message or just because they were running a bit behind. One week on, today I had my first scan since starting stims, they said they would call with blood results this afternoon and at almost 1800 I’m still waiting.
The last time I cycled was Jan. I’m not sure whether something has changed, whether I’m just unlucky this has happened twice in a row or whether this is the new normal! Can anyone help please?
Thank you Flipsy and HannahDaisy. Yes I’ve just cracked on with the same dose as not overly concerned but I do think it’s a bit confusing. I do recall last time they said they’d call if I needed to change sth but last week and this week they said they would call either way. Last week I was in exactly the same position as Lchan in that there was a cyst so the next course of action was unclear and I think it’s a bit naughty that they’re leaving people hanging overnight if they’ve said they’ll call. I’m sure it’s maybe just a mix up in processes and maybe the nurses should just be telling us to crack on if we haven’t heard anything but there seems to be a bit of a breakdown in communication somewhere I’ll call the in the morning.
Thanks again everyone - I appreciate the speedy responses x