Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and welcome to the birth story of Pea!

I would like to warn you its not for the faint hearted or for anyone who has to give birth  :-\ but so many people have asked me to write it so i thought i would give it a good go!!

I was in bed asleep on monday 7th April and all of a sudden i was woken by a popping sensation and a warm gush! At first i thought i was dreaming and just laid there, i then realised that i wasnt dreaming and that my waters had infact broken  :eek: It was going everywhere! I shouted at Dp to wake up as i was running to the loo leaving a trail behind me  :-[ i then sat on the loo whilst my waters continued to gush for 15 minutes! I asked Dp what the time was as i had no idea and it was 1.30am! We had only been in bed 2 hours.

I tried to get off the loo so i could ring the hospital but my waters were still coming so i grabbed some old t shirts and stuffed them between my legs and ran to grab my mobile phone. I then rang the hospital from the loo to see what they wanted me to do! They told me to go straight in so they could check to see if my waters had gone and then to go from there! Well did i have meltdown then, i stood there and cried coz i was so excited but yet so scared and it took me a few minutes to sort myself out!!

We then went to hospital, with a big towel underneath me, for them to examine me and tell me yes my waters had gone and that i was 1 cm dialated  :) I thought great we are on our way we should have Pea by the end of the day!! As i was only 1cm dialated they told me to go home, get some sleep and let nature take its course but if i hadnt delivered or moved on by 8am tuesday morning i then had to go back in for induction!!

So at 3.30am we went back home and got in to bed!! I couldnt sleep for love nor money as i had started contracting and i was so nervous about giving birth i just laid there! Dp managed to get some shut eye though, i made him as i knew he would need it!! I got up again at 6.30am and got in the bath as i was contracting in my back and it was awful so i chilled in there and it seemed to help! By 9am i was getting a bit fed up as the contractions were coming regular but not regular to go back to hospital so i rang my m/w ad asked her to come and examine me to see how i was getting on! She came out at 11am and examined me to tell me that i was still only 1cm dialated  ^bigbad^ so in 10 hours nothing had happened! I was so disappointed which she could see so she told me to go for a walk, which i did, eat pineapple, which i had been doing for weeks, and chill in the bath, well i had had 3 that day!

So i did all the above and bounced on my ball which seemed to bring the contractions on more so i stayed on that for 4 hours! It got to 7pm and they were coming much quicker and more intense so we had some tea and i continued to sit on my ball! 9pm came and i couldnt take anymore so decided to ring the hospital and tell them i was going in!!

We got to the hospital by 9.30pm and was settled in our room with our 1st m/w and she examined me and i was still only 1cm dialated, well i could have cried, she then asked me what i wanted to do as i had to come back in the morning anyway, so i could be induced there and then or see if i progressed on my own but after 20 hours i hadnt done a thing so i decided on induction via drip!!

I had to have antibiotics via a drip for Pea first as it had been so long since my waters had broke and they didnt want Pea getting an infection, then the induction drip started about midnight!! I was to be monitiored throughout the whole labour so i had to stay on the bed the whole time!! the contractions started to get stronger but i was managing ok with them and thought this isnt to bad!!  ::) shouldnt have thought that!!

After a couple of hours, i think, they started to get very intense so i asked for some gas and air! Well what great stuff, i loved it, it made me feel so drunk, i was giggling away, Dp took a pic of me on it as i was smiling so much! I managed on that for a while, dont ask me how long for coz i have no clue as time just went out the window for me and Dp! They then started to intensify even more and the gas and air just wasnt doing much so i asked for pethadine aswell!! That is great stuff to  ;D with that and gas and air i managed really well!! But only for a while coz OMG the contractions were smacking me in the face after that, i just couldnt cope! By 6am our 1st m/w was going home and our 2nd one came on shift and she was amazing, what a lovely lady!!

I was begging for an epidural when she came on shift so she said she would sort that for me but whilst i was waiting for that i passed out from the pain for a while, it was awful! When i came to they were putting the epidural in and i managed not to move, dont ask me how, i think Dp and m/w had to hold me down, i laid there and the pain was still there, OMG it hurt so much, i was screaming! The anethestist told me it was working and to give it a minute well in the end i shouted at her ' Why the F**K isnt it working'! That was the only time i swore  ;D After another 2 attempts she finally got in properly and OMG it was great, i didnt feel a thing but i didnt let go of that gas and air  ;D

I finally managed to get a couple of hours kip after that as did Dp! Then at about 8am a doc came in to examine me and said that i was 1 1/2 cms dialated!! Well i just laid there and cried, more than 24 hours and nothing, half a centimetre! They then put the drip right up to bring the contractions on thick and fast, thank god i couldnt feel them! The doc then came back at 11.30 and i had gone from 1 1/2 to 9cms dialated, well i cried then to as i was so pleased  ;D they then said to rest as i was going to start pushing soon!! I was so nervous!

The epidural started to wear off and at 12.45pm i was getting the urges to push so the m/w told me to push!! Off i went sucking on that gas and air like it was my best friend!! Then our 3rd m/w came in at this point, i was gutted as the 2nd one had been great and i really wanted her to deliver Pea but it wasnt to be, although she did wait until Pea was born before going home  :'(
Anyway i was pushing and pushing and nothing was happening, so after 2 hours they told me to stop! I laid there and sobbed coz i didnt understand why Pea wouldnt come out,so i begged for a section but was told that wasnt possible!! Well the epidural had worn off and i could feel everything! They put my legs in stirrups to see if that helped but the pain from the contractions was in the tops of my legs so they came out again and the epidural was topped up!!

After i was topped up i went back in the stirrups and was then told the doc would be assisting me in delivery and i was so tired and crying so much that i didnt care! I just wanted Pea! So in came the doc, legs up in the air, and i was told he was going to use the ventouse and i just had to push with the contraction!! I pushed so hard, i thought my head was going to explode, i was pushing and he was pulling and then the ventouse came off Peas head! So i was then told that they were going to cut me  :eek: i cried and cried and told them i didnt want to be cut but they were going to have to do a foreceps delivery! So i told them to do what they had to do! I was then told to push again with the next contraction and i did so forking hard, i could feel the doc twisting and tugging and then there was Pea on my chest  :'( :'(

Pea was born at 15.36pm on 8/4/08 (her EDD) weighing 9lbs 8.5ozs and she is amazing!

We got to find out what flavour she was ourselves which was lovely and Dp then cut the cord! Out of my whole birth plan they were the only 2 things we got to do!!

So folks there is my long birth story, i hope i havent bored you with it! Its the first time i have sat and thought about it without crying! Not sure i would do it again at the mo as i am still bruised but Pea is worth it

Thanks for reading

Love Liz x x x x

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Blimey Lizzy you reallly went through it hun...can't believe it will be me soon  :'(

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Awww!

It's all soooo worth it tho, isn't it?!?!?!

Darn hard work but who said something worth having wasn't worth the effort??

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Wow mut, you certainly wasn't prepared for that was you babe?
Sounds so scary, and painful  :'(
I feel sorry that you didn't have the birth you had hoped for
But Katie is an absolute stunner, totally perfect, and im so proud of you  ^hugme^
You can try and forget about the bad bits now, and just enjoy being a great mummy
Cant wait to come and see you, and give you and Katie a great big cuddle (Katie will get a bigger one!  :))

Love ya mut  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
woweeeeeeeeeeeeee

what a story.you had it ruff girl..

katie is so beautiful and i bet she is worth it.

lol to you dh and katie

from nicky..xx..  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
aww lizzy you poor chick a dee!

I had forceps with my first, not nice is it  :(

glad that katie is perfect in every way mrs!

my second labour was the best ever, so don't think it will be a repeat performance  :)

hugs to you

mitch
xxx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Congratulations Lizzy, you did really well, and epidurals are great arnt they  ;)  ;D

Enjoy every minute as time sure does fly

Nikki xx

·
Registered
653 Posts
wow hun you are amazing! You have done so well and Katie is a little stunner.  Its so worth all the pain and hardwork.  I was so frightened during and after having issy and said never again, but now looking back and with hindsight i'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Well Done chicken  enjoy every minute with your precious bundle

ally
xxx ::)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Lizzy!!! Well done! Lordy you did good girl very proud of you xxxx

Welcome Katie xxx

R x

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
^hello^ Lizzym  :)  ^afro^

OMG  ;D, I seriously think you knew it was going to be traumatic before the event and don't think you were wrong!

Still you did brilliantly, Katie is gorgeous, love the pics you have in the gallery and glad that it is nearly all forgotten, I imagine when your not so tender hon it will be  ^reiki^.

Well done mate, looking forward to seeing more pics soon x x x

Louj x  :)

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just wanted to say thank you for all your comments ladies!!

I know it sounds horrific but you do forget, slowly, and your Lo is worth all the pain so please dont be scared!!

Thanks again

x x x

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Im scare Lizzy  :'(

G

·
Lizzy Wow you did great!  :eek:  I didn't take my eyes from the screen for a second. She is beautiful congratulations hunny ^clapping^ ^clapping^ ^clapping^ ^banana^ ^banana^ ^jumpin^
Tanyaxx

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Awww hun what a story, you certainly went through it but as you say Pea was worth it.

Take care babe xxx

·
Premium Member
13,830 Posts
Ive finally had time to sit and read this!

Oh my god lizzy u poor thing - how frustrating with all the contractions but no dialation!!

Katie was worth it :)

Kate xx

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all your lovely comments  :)
I thought i would give you all an update!
I went to see the birth reflections m/w on friday who has advised me to make a complaint against the doc who delivered Katie!!
So with her help am i am going to go ahead and do this!!
I stressed my concerns about if and when i am lucky enough to have baby number 2, how worried i am about the labour being the same!!
So if and when i do fall pg again i am to go back and see her and we, together, will do a very indepth birth plan  :)

I feel so much better for seeing her and i now feel i can put it behind me and look forward to trying for number 2, although not just yet  ;D

x x x

1 - 16 of 16 Posts