Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had labour stopped last week at 33+6 but not before they had transferred me to a different hospital as scbu was full. It was luckily only about 35 mins away. But if i go into labour again they will not stop it and apparently my local scbu is usually full.

They were talking about often having to transfer people over 3 hours away.

What happens then when I am ready to be discharged and the twins aren't. I can't afford a hotel for weeks nor do i want to leave my twins as i want to express milk.

Then how do i get the twins home as it would be a ridiculous car journey for them to start with even with regular stops? AM really worried. Hoping it won't happen but need to be prepared.

I am in Cardiff and they said they have had to helicopter people as far as Newcastle before for SCBU beds.

Thanks

Hannah

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
hello Hannah

first I want to wish you good luck for the delivery

I did not have this problem when I went to labour but in the 2 months I spent going to scbu everyday I saw many transfers, if you end up far, you can ask to stay in maternity ward for longer and usually they are accomodating.
Then you may want to ask if your babies can be transferred when there are availibilities.

Good luck

steph

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Hi

My boys were born at 28 weeks and my local unit don't take them until 32 weeks so we ended up in Portsmouth which is an hours drive away.
Firstly if they do come along early they'll be fine now as you're quite far along in your pregnancy. Most units class term as 37 weeks so aim for discharge then if the babies are feeding and gaining weight so hang on in there honey!!  ;)
Most SCBU have accommodation for Mum's who live a long way away or who's babies are sick, so you may not have a problem. Also I was kept on the ward longer than normal after their birth as there was no demand for beds. The Midwives did what they could to keep me in and just told me to keep a low profile!
The unit also kept in touch with my local hospital to see when cots were available. As soon as they were and my boys fitted the admission criteria off we went, so they do try and get you back near to home as soon as possible. I was warned they may transfer just one twin if only one cot was available, as it's then easier to get the second twin in. Thankfully this didn't happen with us and they went together.
Also ask about getting a breast pump from the unit as Portsmouth allowed me to take one home for free and gave me bottles and a cool bag for milk transportation. If they don't there are local schemes that hire out pumps for free to Mum's with babies on scbu. The hospital gave me a number to call and I will find out if that's for a local scheme or is nation wide. If it's nation wide I will post the number for you. We also got reduced rate car parking at both hospitals and if you were living in you only had to pay staff rates for the canteen food. This all helped big time to reduce the costs for us.
Good luck honey and try not to worry too much  ^hugme^

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi
I ended up with 1 twin in one hospital NICU and another twin in another NICU.This was because the hospital where I had my section did not perform neo natal surgery.It was not fun having them an hour apart and I stayed in the first hospital for 6 weeks.When Millie was well enough she was transferred back and I took them home one at a time.The thing to remember is however hard it is at the time they are getting the best care possible and they wont remember a thing.I made sure the hospitals communicated with each other over bed availablity so I could get Millie back by Issy 's side as soon as she was strong enough.I am just so grateful we got incubators for them both and they made it out the other side .They just turned a year old and are doing brilliantly.Focus on your little ones and just take one day at a time.As soon as its possible they will be back closer to home.I am now a volunteer for Bliss (www.bliss.org.uk) campaigning to improve bed availability as it comes down to a shortage of neo natal nursing staff
Anna x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts