Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to all this and still not sure if this is the way forward for us.
I have 4 yr old twins and are now thinking of more children, I am nearly 40 with a low ovarian reserve to DEIVF abroad is the more appropriate course for us if we do go ahead.
Having done 6 ivf cycle here in the uk I cant imagine being able to coordinate one abroad . The added pressure is we would prefer not to tell family what we are doing and have the twins who are at school to consider!!

Is this going to be at all possible??

Can you share you experiences please either with or without the complication of other children.

Thanks

Ellie

·
Registered
619 Posts
hello

I have not undergone DEIVF abroad, but I am seriously contemplating it.  If you are scared to go it alone, you can always go for shared care with a UK clinic who work in partnership with a foreign clinic.  The UK folks will scan you, do the blood tests and liaise with the foreign clinic, obviously for an additional fee.  All you have to do is book flights and accommodation. From what i understand, the majority of shared care arrangements are with the Spanish clinics.

Most clinics have international liaison staff who speak good English.  I know some Spanish clinics actually have English nurses.  I am sure someone will be along soon to advise you, someone who has actually had treatment abroad already.  One clinic has a travel service for British patients, but they do charge quite a bit for picking you up at the airport, taking you to appointments.  They can also book your flights and accommodation. This may appeal due to the fact you would be travelling with children.  It could be less stressful.

Having said this I know of a number of people who got their GP to do tests and arranged everthing themselves.  Admittedly I don't know anyone with children who have done this.  If you are already familiar with a certain country, you may be drawn there by gut instinct.  You may know someone with a holiday home you can use whilst you are there.

I already have my own biological child, so it would be difficult for me to have to go to Spain at the drop of the hat for ET (as often happens, particularly in the bigger clinics with many donors on the go at the same time).  To keep DEIVF treatment quiet would be difficult for me as my parents would wonder why I needed to go to Spain all of a sudden.  They are aware that Spain is a big DEIVF place so they would soon twig. But I will cross that bridge when it happens.

Don't be scared this is an exciting journey which loads of people have done before. Ask as many questions as you see fit.
I am sure you will get a few responses that will help.
Please let me know if i can be of any more help.

Jane
x

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jane

I know what you mean about finding an excuse to just pop over to Spain!!!

I think I would do the shared care arrangement and it was suggested to me as an option by a London clinic.

I am quite nervous about the whole issue especially regarding a donor egg child and my biological twins, something I still need to get my head round. I just dont want a new child to have all that baggage, maybe it is just me being sensitive.

Thanks and good luck with your treatment, I would love to know how it goes.

Ellie

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi Ellie

Thanks for your good wishes.  I suppose the whole beauty of DEIVF is that you do not have to rush into it if you don't want to. Time is always on your side.  In the UK you can see counsellors, contact the DC network, contact UK centres for DEIVF and talk things through there, voicing any concerns.

I know that a lot of UK clinics are between 6months - 2yrs waiting time and all they ask for is a  deposit.
If you get on a list, you will then have time to explore your feelings.    IF you signed up for a non wait list clinic abroad, you could be having an embryo transfer within 12 weeks!! If that wasn't for you, you could sign up with a clinic with a longer wait time as well as a UK one.  You can always sign up and then opt out.

take care and keep us informed as to how you get on.
Will be in touch when I know where I am going.

Love

Jane
x

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi,
I have a 3 year old daughter (from IUI) and am going for DIVF in Alicante, Spain. I got pregnant on my first attempt with twins, but sadly lost both of them. I'm hoping to go back for treatment in July/August.
Like you I thought it would be impossible to go to Spain for treatment, but it is a lot easier than I thought.
We had the necessary blood tests done locally, then went for our first appointment last December, this was during a holiday near Alicante. My partner left sperm that was of good quality so I flew back on my own for ET, went there on Tuesday, back on Thursday.
Phoned in sick with a vomitting bug at work, was back at work on Friday.
Let me know if you need any more info,
misspolly x

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am waiting for the call to go to IM in Barcelona to have my donor egg embryo transfer. I have them to be very efficient and so far without any problems whatsoever.  They have many translators who speak perfect English and our doctor, Dra Redondo speak English well and as was very helpful and informative.  I thought it would make things v complex but it's all been plain sailing so far.

Lorraine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts