Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to Vancouver and San Francisco this summer to see friends and are just about to buy our flights. Should we pay extra to fly direct and non-stop or is for eg a 4 hour stop over in Chicago a welcome break? The kids will be nearly 5 and nearly 2 when we fly and we are not forking out for an extra seat for the little un. And if you had the choice between BA and United - who would you fly with? Unfortunately we will be flying in the cheap seats...

Betty

G

·
American companies have more leg room but you can probably check that on line.  I'd want to get as soon as poss rather than trying to entertain children in an airport.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I agree. The hardest part travelling with children on long haul flight (I have 2, aged 10 and 2) is the initial settling in. Once your up in the air and they know the layout, settle in their seats etc its fine. By having a 4 hour stop over, you need to get off and on again, do the 'settling in' bit again, have the taking off and landing ordeal extra (they often find the change in pressure hard on their ears) in addition to the hanging aroud in the airport.

Im not sure which airline is best but one thing i would reccommend is trying to get a sky cot for your LO. We managed to get one for DD, despite her being 21 months. Even though she didnt really make use of it, it meant we had automatic extra leg room and she was then able to play on the floor by our feet and had no seats in front to kick! We used the cot itself to store things we didnt want her to touch!!!!!
You can book these when you book your flights. BUT you may have to plead your case and say she's under a certain weight (I think I recall the weight limit being approx 26-30lbs depending on different airlines)

Have fun

Mae.x

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have bit the bullet and gone with BA as we can fly direct to Vancouver and direct back from San Francisco. Cost a bit more but worth it to avoid layovers. Have to check out the legroom now.

Betty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts