Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a body mass index of 29 and the fertility nurse says I need to get it down to between 20 and 25. It is so hard to lose the weight although over a course of 2 months I have lost 9lbs!! Has anyone acheived a good weight loss and if so can they reccommend a good diet plan or share their wight loss success stories?
Any advice gratefully received.
::)
Lou

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hiya  :)

Not easy to loose weight with PCOS  :( I am struggling myself too. My BMI is 27.

I have cut out sugar, coffee, white bread, potatoes and I am not shedding any  :( and I am also on GI diet  ::)

Have you considered going to see PCOS nutritionist?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Loo
I'm also desperately trying to loose weight. :'( My BMI is well over 30. I have lost about 1.5 stone since January but the weight loss is very slow. I am trying the Food Doctor Diet and I'm finding that it really suits me (it's supposed to be really good for PCOS) I feel great on it (loads better than I have on other diets), I'm not getting any cravings or fatigue and my skin is the best it's looked for ages! It's quite similar to the GI diet - e.g you eat foods that have a low GI score. I also bought the Collette Harris book on PCOS and the diet that she recommends is also very similar. You can get the Food Doctor Book in most bookshops - they also have it on the Book People website very cheaply at the moment.
I think the fact that I'm also on Metformin may also be helping.
Keep going with it..... I know, it's so tedious!!

love Jodyb

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the advise both of you!
I am too on Metformin, have been since end of Feb this year. I am on 500mg 3 times a day. Had terrible metformin bum for a while and still get it now and again which is not so bad now.
I have an appointment with the dietician today at my drs surgery so hopefully she can get me on the right track and monitor me too!
I am hoping that if lose weight my cycles may return to some form of normality and may be able to conceive naturally!
Have to call Fertility clinic when AF comes (god knows when that will be) to arrange a scan and a post coital test.....great!

Will let you all know what the dietician has to say!
Love
Lou
X

·
Registered
88 Posts
hi there i am a pcos sufferer as well and i am taking 850mg x3 daily of the dreaded metformin i have a high b.m.i but i have found that eating little and often as my pcos dietician told me to do works quite well since xmas i have lost three  dress sizes but still have a long way to go yet!!! i was a sweet freak everything i ate had sugar in it so one day i just told myself that from now on everything had to be sugar free and im doing well at the moment ive gone from 3 sugars in a cuppa to none if i do fancy having something sweet i treat my self to a little bar of chocolate from the diabetic range in boots near my home which i find satisfying.I also find eating plenty of BASMATI rice works well for myself alongside plenty of veg .I used to eat every type of rice until my pcos dietician said to eat Basmati as its much better for pcos sufferers once i have found out my pcos notes from my dietician i will update you on anyhting new hope this post has been of some use to you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
hi there its only me again just found out some notes on what are the best things to eat that my dietician told me ive only a few to tell you about hope you find them useful

granary bread,muesli,porridge,fruit and fibre special k and all bran apricot bites.New potatoes are the best type of potatoes to eat as well as Sweet potatoes.

Sweet potatoes are the best you can get them from ur local supermarket,and you can cook them in any way you wish or you can roast a couple of them to go on your sunday lunch they are beautiful,but they do have an aquired taste.

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi thanks for the info sab

I have arranged to contact clinic again today so need to think about food habits before i go there
Will prob be on my chicken and salad for the next month as usual!! great ^afro^  :)

love
suzie aka olive

p.s not a lover of sweet potatoes im afraid!! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,
Sorry not been back on to update you .....
To be quite frank the dietician was crap! I mean she got paid to sit with me for an hour to tell me something i could have read in a glossy mag! Waste of time. What a joke ;D
Anyway the fertility clinic gave me a sheet to follow. It is very strict only 1000 cals a day. I will type it up and post it later on this evening.

Take care
Lou
x

·
Registered
88 Posts
:) hi there its only me sab again with ur bmi being nearly the same as mine i find it hard to believe that you are only going to be on an intake of 1000 a day this seems to low to me but then again i am not a dietician,the dietician i see at my clinic has pcos herself and she started me on my diet on a high calorie diet then slowly but shorley i moved down.1000 a day may seem a lot to other people but it also depends on how much intake you are used to having you might find that you are snacking too much if your intake is too low and through being hungry snack on the wrong things.Its only a thought and i hope you dont mind me putting my two pence in. ::)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Ladies,

A BMI of 20 or less is underweight and 20 - 25 is said to be normal, so if you get to 25 then thats ok.

Now to lose weight with PCOS is not easy and thats an understatement, but there are a few things that will help you do it easy and with not much trouble.

(1) drink as much filtered water as you can daily.
(2) Eat protein little and often, don't stick to 3 meals a day, your metabolism will get used to this and stop burning the fat.
(3) Eat high protein foods, but don't avoid the carbs altogether.
(4) Eat a protein breakfast, something like eggs and bacon and totally avoid the fruits and cereal many of us have because we think it will be better for us.

Protein also helps us to make better quality eggs.

Jog on the spot when you first get out of bed, this gets the metabolism going and will help you to digest food better, brisk walking is better for you than jogging, you need to burn more calories than you take in.

I hope this has been of some help and good luck to you all.

Julie

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi

Thaks for your advice. It is great to have all of you girls to turn to for support.

I have started limiting carbs till lunchtime only and then for tea have something like grilled chicken sals or something like that.  I have only been doing it for the last 3 days but i have noticed a difference already! Not feeling bloated or sluggish on an evening!

I think I may start taking to work a small tub full of wafer thin ham or chicken or something which is protein to nibble on like has been suggested too!

Good luck girls on the wight loss - we CAN do it!!!

Lou
xxx

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was approx 1.5 stone overweight. Tried Metformin but made me feel nauseous and could not really see any difference. I visited Zita West fertility clinic in London. Saw the nutritionist there and got her advice and diet sheets. It really worked for me. Expensive consult. but worth it. It started with a two week detox which included some evil-tasting supplements, milk thistle etc. This was to cleanse the liver because it apparently stores old oestrogen or something like that. The detox was basically no wheat, no dairy, no processed meats, no OJ (creates an acidic system – no good for little swimmers). NO Diet Coke – just noxious chemicals. NO diet foods – contains loads of fake fats etc. Just wholefoods, nuts, seeds, fruit and veg , white fish ,organic chicken and some bio-yoghurt. Best thing was fruit smoothie every day for breakfast, containing ground up seeds. Quite nice really and keeps you going….!

I never felt hungry and feel great now and am at my correct weight for the first time in years. Lost 1.5 stone over 3-4 months and it has completely changed my eating habits. Have just kept to the main principles and dropped the supplements. 

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.