Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies I am new to this group. I am at a complete loss and feel deflated. I was diagnosed with pcos at age 15 via vaginal ultrasound. I had the implant removed at age 16 and have had possibly 4 natural periods leading up to now. I am now 28 years old and ready to start our family. I have been been constantly back and fourth to the doctors who just seem to care and their only answer is to loose weight. In all of those years all the NHS have done its X2 ultrasounds and a blood test who showed high male hormones. That's is it! All the NHS tell me os loose weight it's my fault! I managed to loose 5 stone but no one difference in my symptoms and still no periods returned.
I tried going private as a self funded patient and visited Nuffield women's clinic in brentwood I was so excited we saved the money for mot hs and I put my all into losing weight. They did routine AMH blood test which showed low AMH at 10.7 pmol/L. Then came the consultation all they said was loose weight I was sat In the chair crying because I'd lost 5 stone prior and told its still not good enough the consultant was rude and basically shut the door on me. Then the weight piled on... And more!
I've never had my tubes checked and I am so scared I'am running out of time. I have no periods no ovulation facial hair weight gain, I am tired all the time, my hair is thinning. I am currently not taking any medications but have been drinking spearmint tea each night.

I am asking for your advice as I am lost and confused my partner doesn't understand my heartbreak although he tires. My partner sperm test came back fine. I am worried I have more than pcos but noone is willing to help until until my BMI is 30. Its currently 41. Somethjng else must be wrong.

Thank you Ladies

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Sounds like your being given the run around. If you want to proceed with ivf I'd consider going abroad.
Serum in Athens offers very individualised care and they don't get preoccupied with telling patients to lose weight as if its the magic bullet. Id use your savings at a clinic like this who are serious about helping you get pregnant rather than fobbing you off.
Best of luck x

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Completely agree with K Jade! I went to the NHS for fertility treatment to be told to come back after 6 months minimum, to put weight on! Pathetic. Something my body has never been able to do. I'd have made myself sick. They didn't want to bother investigating if I had PCOS (which I had, incidentally) until my BMI was considered in their healthy range. DH's sperm morphology was awful (2%) but they didn't think so.

Went to Nuffield, Brentwood like yourself. I paid nearly £1k to discover I had PCOS as expected, to be told DH's sperm results would probably be ok and to collect 6 months worth of clomid. The one cycle that worked ended in a very early miscarriage. Truth is, it was probably never going to work. We've tried naturally since and again, miscarriage. The quality of our embryos naturally, clearly suffer.

The turning point for me was looking up IVF abroad. Reprofit diagnosed Scott as having teratozoospermia and told us that their standard ICSI would bypass the issues we faced. Sure enough we have an 18month old boy and I'm 8wks pregnant again. My weight has never once been mentioned or made a concern.

100% think they are fobbing you off. They'll find any obstacle to delay which I find terribly disappointing on an already very sensitive and distressing journey.

Hope you can take back control of this situation and make the best decision for you and your family.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts