Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I'm feeling shell shocked. Having previously had good FSH levels (6-7),always had very regular periods I was not at all prepared for my consultation last night. Recent test for AMH and inhibin B shows very low levels (2.6 and 21 respectively).  My consultant's advice is that my only real option down the IVF route is egg sharing/donation.
I feel extremely confused. All cycles have produced a reasonable number of eggs and almost all have fertilised each time with 1st cycle resulting in 2 blastocysts. I am struggling to reconcile the test results with the treatment results although ultimately i have failed to get pregnant or maintain a pregnancy ever.
After the recent failed cycle i decided to get a second opinion and have a consultation at ARGC on 18th Feb (this was arranged before i knew my results and i don't believe they do egg sharing). I plan to still get a 2nd opinionfrom them.
Does anyone have success stories with these low levels i.e is it worth me continuing with my own eggs at all?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Nicpic,
So sorry to hear you got such difficult news. :'( I was in a similar position in JAnuary. I saw my consultant after a failed IUI and he told me my AMH was 1.34, My FSH was 14 and that 'I was coming to the end of my reproductive career', as he so delicately put it ^bigbad^ . He knew we were about to start IVF so he suggested we give it one go then go onto donor eggs. I had only just got my head around doing IVF let alone anything else. :'( I was completely devasted  and in shock and as crazy as it sounds  and I don't know why, I drove home that night (and for the next few weeks)telling myself 'my eggs are good and I am fertile and I'm going to have a baby!' We were all set to start a monitoring cycle at the ARGC in early Feb when I got my natural BFP in JAnuary. ;D I'm now just over 5 weeks and although I know it's early days and we're still cautiously ecstatic -it is possible to get pregnant even with a low AMH.. I don't know if it was all the vitamins I was on , the acupuncture I tried that month, the reflexology I'd been having for months, the things I'd changed from the books I'd read (The infertiliy cure and Making babies by Sami DAvid and Jill Blakeway) or just the fact my body wanted to prove the consultant wrong but at the end of the day I don't care which it was but I'm glad that even with a high FSH and low AMH I still managed to do it so have some hope. ARGC don't care about AMH at all, they only look at FSH and given yours is low already you should be fine. A lot of women who have been told to use donor eggs elsewhere have gone on to have babies there. ;D
Good luck with your appointment and all the best. ;D ^pray^ ^reiki^
sunnyh.xx

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your email and congratulations on your BFP. What amazing news!! I hope it all goes smoothly for you. That has made me feel much more positive. Just goes to show that it doesn't matter how many tests you have done or what the results are sometimes nature just does its own thing. I have always felt positive that it would happen one day as am naturally quite a positive person so to get the facts in black and white and be told its unlikely is tough. But maybe not the end of the world after all!
Its tricky to know where to take it from here ie spend more and more on IVF or just be accepting of the odds and go the donor route. I feel very torn. Am going to try to keep an open mind and hear what the ARGC have to say about it all in the first instance and then take it from there.
Once again the very best of luck to you
Nicpic x

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Nicpic,
Glad your positive. Hold onto that.,Goodluck with your consultation at ARGC and I hope they give you some positive news. There are lots of ladies with helpful info on the ARGC newbies page if you haven't checked it out already.
All the best.
sunnyh. x

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Hey Nicpic!

Try not to get too down - I know it's hard. I've just been dealing with it all myself.

Low AMH is an indication that your ovarian reserves are not what they once were. However, it is all about the quality. There are many threads for women with low AMH (as you'll see, I am one of them). I'll see if I can dig some out for you.

My consultant told me that I would have to consider the DE route too and I was devastated as I hadn't even done one cycle of ICSI yet and we were seeking treatment for male factor IF, so I had no idea there was any problem with me!!! He did say, however, that this was the absolute worst case scenario and he was duty bound to point it out to me.

I've decided to press ahead anyway and see what happens with my own eggs.

I am currently on my first cycle.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your responses. I had my consultation at ARGC on Friday and am feeling slightly better. They are not that interested in the AMH and said exactly what you said = all it tells them is not to expect alot of eggs but they still think it is too early to think about DE at this stage so am going to press ahead with them and see what happens.

Fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Nicpic,
That's great. I'm glad you had a good appointment with them and are going to give it a go! I think it's certainly worth a try.
Goodluck and all the best!
cheers,
Sunnyh.x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts