Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi all, apologies for my silence for so long. I’ve been taking a break from all things fertility related and to concentrate on feeling a bit better emotionally and physically. DH and I started our 7th round the middle of this month and we got off to a reasonably promising start, but things have gone pear shaped again and I’m looking for a bit of advice. I had an afc of 5, and had my baseline scan day 3. The consultant wanted me to take 30ml suprecur/burselin that evening then start stims from day 4. We had our first scan day 6 and there were 3 growing follicles 13mm, 11mm and 10mm. Today is day 9 and my scan showed a 19mm follicle, but all others have shrunk! This has never happened to me before. I’m totally confused, what could cause shrinking follicles?? I’m now left in the dilemma of collecting from the one follicle or going with IUI. I have to take the trigger shot this evening so there’s not much time to decide. If anyone has any advice it would be gratefully received xx

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just a quick update from me, this cycle has gone spectacularly wrong. After debating whether to go with IVF or IUI, we went with IVF. Sadly, an egg couldn’t be retrieved from the follicle. This leaves me thinking that I was either triggered too early - usually I stim for 12 days, but this time it was 10, or the egg was grossly abnormal, so stuck to the follicle wall. I’m so disheartened. We have one more cycle left in our package, but we are seriously thinking not to bother and just prepare my body for the transfers instead. What a massive change there has been in just 6 months, it’s just utterly soul destroying.

·
Registered
166 Posts
KatKat -Thank you so much for getting back to me, I really appreciate it. How is everything going with your pregnancy? I hope you are feeling well and enjoying it. Did you ever experience an empty follicle? I think you’re right for me to use up our last round before the frozen embryos. I just hope there are just one or two good eggs left in me xx

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sunshine122 - Thank you so much for the link. It gives me some hope that you got there in the end despite the setbacks. I think a change of medication is definitely needed for next time. It was such a strange cycle with shrinking follicles and then the missing egg! I completely understand about you not wanting to re-visit the IVF rollercoaster at this time and I’m so happy that you are living in the moment and enjoying your daughter xx

KatKat - 4 natural cycles of missing eggs must have been hard to bear. My follicle was over 20mm before trigger, but I suspect my oestrogen was low. I feel more of an oestrogen rise in my natural cycles than this IVF one. I’m wondering if this fall in oestrogen explains the shrinking follicles. I’m keeping everything crossed for you and I hope they can get the cholestasis under control xx

·
Registered
166 Posts
KatKat, on my NHS cycles I had run away follicles and poorer egg quality, using the antagonist/ micro flare protocol so I think that’s why my current clinic went with the agonist protocol taking burselin and bemfola at the same time. I have previously had good results using this method, but I think I am becoming more sensitive to the burselin. I felt very tired this cycle, which usually indicates for me that the burselin is dominating. I’m thinking to perhaps try the flare next time, with just the bemfola and then introducing cetrotide later on to stop ovulation. My only worry is the egg quality issue, but I’m wondering if this may have resolved as I now take DHEA and a truck load of other supplements. I can’t believe that there has been such a dramatic change in the last 6 months and I’m scared that I’ve suddenly become peri menopausal. I’m planning to ask the clinic to take some bloods to see where I stand hormonally xx

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thank you KatKat, your post gives me some reassurance and hope xx

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Emsy81, welcome to the thread. I’m planning to ttc naturally over the next 2 months before my final IVF in April xx

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mac78- Did you decide what to do about the Prostap injection? Are you doing a mock cycle for OE or DE?

MSJ - I have had a scratch in the past. I didn’t get pregnant on that IVF cycle, but I did on the next one, which was about 3 months later. Too be honest it was so long afterwards I don’t think it made any difference. I hear what you’re saying about trying to get your mojo back, I’m in a bit of a slump at the moment.

Afm - Despite not taking any luteal support after this failed IVF cycle there is no sign of af. I’m a bit confused about this as I would have thought no egg means no corpus luteum. Anyway, I’m plodding on and I’m trying to think of things I could do to improve my final round. My sleep is really disturbed at the moment so I’ve started taking melatonin to try and get into a good sleep cycle. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’ll help. I’m trying to get back into reflexology to help reduce my anxiety, but my reflexologist has cancelled my appointment at the last minute and the next available one isn’t for another two weeks, which is really frustrating. I’ve looked around for alternative practitioners, but they’re either too far away or don’t seem to be open in the evenings (I just can’t take the time off work at the moment). So I’m going to have to just stick with weekly yoga and try and take some nice long walks when the weather is nice. DH and I had a long chat about DE recently. I feel we’re at a bit of a stale mate. He doesn’t want to make the decision until we have used up our frosties, but I need to have a safety net if all else fails. This journey has just been so long and it’s getting harder.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Broodysingle - Welcome! Yes I’m similar in that I feel less pressure if the next steps are clear. I hope you’re getting on okay with the medication. I’m wishing you lots of luck for this cycle x

Mac78 - I do have the odd glass of red wine in between cycles just so I can feel a bit more normal! I’ve been ttc for so long now that I would have gone mad by now if I didn’t let my hair down once in a while. I’m sorry to hear that you are feeling anxious about the next few weeks. I too have questioned everything from my marriage to the meaning of life in between cycles, but once a cycle starts my worries seem to fade away and I just get on with the task ahead. I think it’s good to question things and reassess once in a while rather than blindly continue on this journey. I hope your feelings will settle once the donor round starts. As for your age, I keep reminding myself that if women can have periods into their 40s or even 50s then Mother Nature still intended for our age group to have babies. I’m perhaps a bit more tired than I was in my 20s, but I still think I have the energy and patience to look after a child. In fact at 40 I’m infinitely more patient than I was at 20.

Katkat - I hope you are doing well? I think a few donor egg consultations would help DH to feel more positively about it. It may come down to cost in the end, as financially it may make more sense to use DEs in our cycles.

Afm - AF arrived 4 days early, it was fairly heavy, which is normal for me after IVF, but it lasted only 5 days rather than my usual 7. I started getting high readings on ovulation tests from day 9 to 13. Then during the afternoon of day 13 I started bleeding, it was more than spotting, but less than af. I contacted the clinic and they said things should settle down, but contact them if things get worse. The spotting has eased off slightly, but it’s been going on for 6 days now. It’s so frustrating, I have no idea where I am with my cycle and we didn’t even get a chance to try naturally this month. I’m hoping this is just some kind of weird bounce back with my hormones after being over suppressed on the suprecur/burselin. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?

DH and I had a fairly positive appointment with our consultant. We are not using suprecur/burselin again. Instead I’m going to use stims from day 3 then introduce cetrotide later on to prevent early ovulation. I have had runaway follicles with this protocol in the past, but the clinic are going to give me a split dose of stims with half in the morning and half in the evening. The consultant would like to see me batch at least one more embryo to give me a fighting chance of a healthy pregnancy. I’m keeping everything crossed that my body settles down and behaves as it should. The consultant also suggested that a couple of rounds of IUI with stims could be a plan b rather than straight to DE. We know we can achieve fertilisation and implantation, so it’s just a matter of finding that lucky egg, although this is dependent on my body behaving. I am still fearful that things have declined to a point where I’m just not going to respond anymore.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sunshine122 - It’s lovely to hear from you. I hope you’re enjoying life as a new Mum? I had flu over Christmas and had only just started feeling better when I started having my treatment in January, so this may have been a factor in my rubbish round. DH was convinced we wouldn’t be going ahead as I had been so ill. We were pleasantly surprised when we saw 5 afc, but even then DH thought I should give myself another month to recover, but I pushed ahead. Thankfully he didn’t say ‘I told you so’ when it all went wrong as he could see how miserable I was about it all. If we don’t get any fresh embryos next time, I’m going to give my body a month or two to recover from the drugs then start transferring xx

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mac78 - I’m really pleased that you sorted everything with DH and went ahead with the transfer. It sounds like things have worked out beautifully with 6 embryos in the freezer. I’ve taken selenium in my 2ww and tried to relax as much as possible, although this is easier said than done! Overall apart from taking the medication prescribed at the correct times I think we probably have little control over the outcome, so don’t beat yourself up about things you should or shouldn’t be doing. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you xx

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi all, it has been a very long time since I posted on here, but I just wanted to give a little update. I finally had success with one of my 3 frozen embryos and I am now the proud mum of a little boy who is four weeks old today. I still cannot believe after all the heartache of the last 6 years that he is here!

As always my journey wasn’t straightforward and I had to take some time out from my fertility journey, hence my absence from the forum. For those of you who may remember I had a scan on my left breast during 2019 and a cyst was found. I continued to be vigilant with my breast checks and at the start of the first lockdown during March 2020 I found small lump in the same area as the cyst, which unfortunately turned out to be breast cancer. Thankfully I had caught it early and it was very slow growing. I thought that was the end of my journey to become a mother and was in a very dark place. However, my fantastic oncologist allowed me to postpone hormone treatment and worked with the staff at my fertility clinic to enable me to safely transfer my frozen embryos. The second transfer during February 2021 was a success and I still have a frostie remaining, which I will need to make a decision about at a future date. In the meantime DH and I are enjoying our little miracle who has made our lives complete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts