Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my amh result back and it says I'm on the low-fertility / undetectable end of the scale, just when everything else was looking really good.  Anyway, what does it mean in terms of no. of eggs?  Am I going to run out of them before the end of the year?  Does anyone know? Or can I still expect one a month for the next 12months, that's only 24 for goodness sakes!!  I had 5 in January in my antral follicle count, are they my last 5? I'm panicking a bit. 

If your amh is less than one are there average figures for no.of eggs left? e.g Amh of less than one = 40 eggs left, 1-2 = 200. Anyone know?

On the positive side, I did read some research recently about how they have discovered, in mice that is, that contrary to accepted opinion, they have stem cells that kept on producing new eggs, but to a lesser degree as they aged because the stem cells got older, less productive and started to die off.  But at least they were producing some...

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Hi I cant answer ur Q's but I dont think it means u have several left, and with sp ivf u go for quality over quantity... good luck hun x x

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Urbangirl

I can't answer all your questions but I can tell you about the antral follicle count. The follicles that they see then are potential follicles, that eggs can grow and develop in. You have lots more eggs than antral follicles but there is a relation between egg reserve/quality and number of follicles (and also AMH levels). AMH measures the hormones produced by these follicles, so is directly related to how many there are. Low AMH/Antral Follicle count usually means it's hard to super stimulate you in conventional IVF. It doesn't necessarily mean you aren't ovulating and creating an egg each month.

A friend of mine had the same problem as you and she was recommended to try IUI, which worked for her second time. Natural IVF can also be a good call for ladies in your position, as then you won't be given loads of drugs to try to make not that many eggs anyway.

I know it's really scary but try not to panic. There may also be diet and lifestyle things you can do to help. Zita West talks about loads of examples of women whose numbers turned right around when they changed their lifestyle.

Good luck

V xxx

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Hoping, I hope I have got some quality there...

Valentina, I didn't know that about antral follicle count, but I did start to worry when I saw another lady on FF fretting that she only had 18!! I am doing IUI but I am doing ivf soon too, I'm just worried that the strong stimulation uses up too much of your eggs, if you only have a few left.  I'm wondering if you reach menopause sooner if you have ivf with low amh?

Where does Zita West talk about lifestyle affecting follicle numbers?  I'd like to have a look at that.
Thanks for your reassurance :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi again

Zita West's guide to assisted fertility is the best one. That might not be the exact title, but it's close. There's also a more general book so if there's any chance of you having a baby naturally that's worth a read too.

I don't think it works that way that the strong stims uses up the eggs like that. I did ask a long time ago if the superovulation could affect your ongoing fertility and was told definitely not. I think egg reserve is more to do with the egg making process. It's about capacity to create eggs, rather than the actual number left, but this is simplified when they explain it to us (not always helpful imo). It's to do with your hormones and how your ovaries are responding to them. They say we're born with all the eggs we'll ever make but that's not really true. We're actually born with all the cells that will become eggs - they need to be 'made' in the ovaries still, by a special kind of cell division called meiosis. It's this process that can go wrong and produce low quality eggs - antioxidants can help and improve egg quality. All sorts of lifestyle issues can have an effect on fsh levels and all the other connected hormonal stuff.

I hope this doesn't sound like a science lecture - I'm not a doctor but I do happen to be quite scientific, and I have read sooooo much about IVF. Lol.

Good luck with the IUI

V xxx

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
omg Valentina - thank you so much for this, i was wondering if going through ivf would make me menopausal sooner due to the fact im using up more eggs than i should be. but i think i know where your coming from

so why do they say you are born with the eggs you are gonna have? what about the number of years that i was on the pill (ironic i know! ::) ) where i didnt produce eggs....?

its all very confusing isnt it!

·
Registered
117 Posts
It really is. I'm sure that the doctors think they're making it easier by simplifying everything but I've just found none of it quite added up and I needed to know more. I always have to work things out and get to the bottom of them! It drives my DH mad sometimes but I can't accept explanations that don't make total sense to me. lol.

V xxx

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, it sounds like if we had an ideal environment for the ovaries more of those cells would become eggs, is that what you're saying?  ^idiot^ In The Infertile Cure R Lewis mentions an experiment with rats where they put old ovaries in young rats bodies and they started behaving like young ovaries again, but I've tried loads of things to rejuvenate my insides and just can't get a decent amh. I despair  :mad:
I've seen a few people on the forum who show in their signatures changing amh results, (changing for the better that is), I wonder how they did it,  I think I'll have to ask them what they did.  Valentina, have you heard anything about DHEA for this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi i was told before xmas i had a low amh mine was 11.5 im not quite sure how low that is really though dont quite understand what it means could ne1 help or have a idea of this please xx

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hi UrbanGirl - I was on DHEA for 10 weeks.  My AMH was 0.4 prior to the DHEA - I have not had it re-measured, but I am 6 weeks pg after 15 months of trying, so something must have happened!  ;)  You might want to check out the web-site of the Center for Human Reproduction (on the Ageing Ovaries page).

Jody - An AMH of 11 doesn't sound low to me!  My consultant said he considered it low if below 5 (or very low if below 1).  It might be low for your age (I don't know how old you are) and may mean that you won't get so many eggs if doing IVF - but I don't think it's worth worrying about as it's really not that low  :) .

Good luck to both of you.

B xx

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
im on DHEA and have been on it for well over a year now.  just going through isci now (EC tues!!! :eek: ) so will tell you then if it has changed anything by being on it!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kitten 77,yes, please tell us!

Bethany915, that is FANTASTIC!! Wish you lots of luck with your mini-bump :)  Was that natural or did you have ivf?  I know about CHR but I've only seen negative mentions of them on forums so I didn't take them seriously.  So don't know if they are reliable source of info or not  ^idiot^

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Hi Urban girl, I just wanted to send you some hope and tell you that there is a lady on here who was told that her AMH is indectable and her IVF failed, (can't remember how many eggs) but the hopeful story is that the following month she concieved naturally! There is always a chance

·
Registered
685 Posts
UrbanGirl - My BFP was through AI (as I don't have a partner) so as near as you can get to natural conception  ;)

I know that DHEA does not work for everyone and I have heard anecdotal reports of several clinics in the UK trying to replicate the results of the CHR and not being able to.  And of course I don't know for sure that it was the DHEA that made the difference for me - maybe it was purely good luck that I conceived on that attempt - but it WAS the 15th go and so it does seem too much of a coincidence...

Good luck on your journey and, Kitten, good luck with your ICSI  ^reiki^.

B xx

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Urbangirl:  When my AMH was 3.44 I got 13 eggs... they 'say' AMH only goes down but mine's been up and down like a yo-yo.  As with all the tests, it's only an indicator and until you actually go through a cycle, no one can tell for sure how you'll respond.  All the best :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PixTrix, that's lovely and positive.  In my case, though, I have been trying naturally or naturally with assistence for the last 2 years and nothing :mad:  , now I've decided to go for the ivf because i thought it would give me a better chance, not sure now, but it's a good clinic (apparently) so i just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Jo_11- that's amazing and will be encouraging for other low amh-ers, but I worked out I have got about 20% of what you had so I've calculated that on that basis I can expect 2.7 eggs  :'(.  Oh well, better than none, the clinic said they would go ahead with two, but not one.  I'm going to try and get hold of some DHea and  ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^. Thanks for your input everybody  :)

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
wishing you all the luck in the world. This is such a numbers game and we are all so different. This lady had been trying naturally for a number of years too so you just never know. So hope you can soon report your BFP

·
Registered
685 Posts
Urban Girl - I meant to say in an earlier post - have you considered natural cycle IVF, where they just harvest your one natural egg?  No drugs or stims at all - it's supposed to be a good option for us "older" ladies with low AMH (there is a school of thought that the stims can harm older eggs) - plus it's much cheaper as there are no drugs, so you may be able to have a couple of goes for the same money as one go of stimulated IVF!  And you don't need to worry about not getting the "required" number of eggs; as long as you ovulate you should be fine  ;).

I was on the verge of doing natural cycle IVF when I got my BFP.  They do it at Create in Wimbledon - there's a Create thread on here if you're interested and they do a free open day once a month.  I went to the January one and they were quoting 92% chance of successfully having an egg collected, amazingly 79% chance of fertilisation and, if I remember rightly, pregnancy rates per cycle of 10-15% for aged 40-44, which is much higher than I'd seen elsewhere.  Might be worth a look at their website?

B xx

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Urban girl

Just to wade in on the subject of Create. I had treatment there - soft IVF - and was planning to move on to Natural IVF but, in the end, decided the travel was a bit too much from up north. Still, I thought there were an excellent clinic and the care and attention we received there was better than any place we've been to. I would definitely recommend them. I've also heard that stims can be damaging for older ladies eggs and the stats for natural cycle certainly appear to back that up - it's much more of an even game for older ladies, which to me equates to ladies with low AMH. I think I might have said before that a friend of mine was in a very similar situation to yours and did IUI rather than IVF for the same reason - the IVF process stressing the eggs too much. IUI worked for her the second cycle and she now has a beautiful little girl! I don't know what the situation is with your partner's sperm but this might be worth thinking about too.

Good luck whatever you decide. And with the DHEA. I've heard it can really help. But I've also heard that plain old good lifestyle and healthy living can make a big difference too.

V xxx

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi ladies - sorry to jump in but I'm finding your posts very interesting. I'm currently beginning an IUI cycle. I've learned last week that my AMH is lowish - 7.9. I'm interested in trying DHEA but I don't know much about it.

I'm looking for advice about
What it does?
what to buy- is there different types?
Quantity to take? How often?
Success rates?
Has anyone experienced any side effects?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
H

1 - 20 of 25 Posts