Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there

i breastfed my ds for 4 months.  i had intended and hoped to do longer but unfortunately i became very ill and had to have a major surgery - my milk dried up overnight.  this was 4 weeks ago.  since that time my mood has been very low.  i know much of this is due to the illness and the trauma which i have been through and also not being able to lift my baby for several weeks but i also wondered if there is a hormonal change when you stop breast feeding which may be contributing to this?  i am so up and down and at times totally irrational which kind of feels hormonal if you know what i mean!  any thoughts would be VERY welcome, feel like i'm going nuts!!

thanks so much
caroline

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
Hi Caroline - firstly huge hugs for all you have been through.  This all sounds like a really normal reaction to what you have been through.  A friend of mine lost her father shortly after her baby was born, and was told to be aware that when she stopped b/f the grief may hit her, as the hormones linked to b/f also protect us to some extent from the emotions of difficult situations.  It sounds like it would be worth talking to your HV if she is supportive, or your GP, as they may suggest some brief counselling or some meds to help you cope with all you have been through.  You may want to post on the Health Visitor board as they will know best.

Most important is to recognise that you have been through so much in the last couple of years and the last few months and it would not be normal if you didn't react in some way - you need to make sure you look after yourself.

Take care
Blu

·
Registered
424 Posts
I def felt low when I weaned and I know a lot of others in my Mums' group did too. Sounds like you are also having a normal reaction to a traumatic time. Also, it is possible to get late onset postnatal depression, even if your low feelings don't really seem to be linked in any way to your baby. Might be worth getting your HV to to the Edinburgh PND questionnaire on you just in case. I hope you feel better soon and it sounds like something that will probably ease by itself in time.

Sue x

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hi

I stopped BF at 4 months and I definitely felt hormonal for a while after.  I missed breast feeding for a while and thought that he would (he did not!), my hair got a bit thin round the front and I felt generally low.  I think some of that was because we moved over at that time too and it was stressful.  Once my periods started again and I was out of maternity clothes (ok took a while!) I started to feel much more like myself.

I'd say be kind to yourself, you've been through so much and I have to tell you that there are many many special moments coming up with your baby.  I feel just as close to mine as I ever did when he was tiny and BF'ing - he's more like my best friend now with a great personality to go with it!  Take it easy and make sure you look after yourself too.

Hope you feel better soon and if you dont, dont be afraid to see your GP for advice/help, and remember we are here and you are not alone! xx ^hugme^

1 - 4 of 4 Posts