Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Does anyone know what low motility means?
Hxxxx :)

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think motility refers to the progression of sperm i.e. how fast they swim. Therefore if I'm right, low motility would mean that the sperm are not swimming in the right direction or are not swimming as fast as would be expected and so might have trouble making it up to the egg - making natural conception that much more tricky.

If you need further info you could perhaps try asking Peter.

Best wishes

Allie

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Helen, I found this link which should help, but it's basically as Allie says.

http://www.diet-and-health.net/Diseases/SpermMotility.html

J

This post contains unconfirmed links and information and readers are reminded that Fertilityfriends.co.uk or it's owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi J and AllieK

That is great advice! Thanks very much you have helped me to understand it! :)

Helen1xxx

·
Registered
209 Posts
Spot on - however it can increase (diet, less stress etc)...Nicky xxxx

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
A normal sperm assessment should show:
Semen volume - 2-4mls
Sperm count - more than 20 million per ml
Sperm motility - more than 50% moving
Sperm morphology - more than 30% of normal shape
White blood cells - should be less than 1 million per ml
Antisperm antibodies test - should be negative

My husband's sperm improved a lot over 6 months. He gave up caffeine, alcohol, smoking, ate organic food, wore a loose dressing gown around the house with no underwear underneath to let air cool testes, had no hot showers or baths, undid his fly in the car to get air inside his trousers.

On the supplements side, daily he takes 1000mg of vit c, 1000mg of linseed oil, 66mg of zinc, 200mg of Saw Palmetto, 100mg anti-oxident Pycnogenol, 500 mg Astragalus + 3 tabs of fertility plus for men (available from http://www.marilynglenville.com web site). His motility went up from 10% to 40% in 6 months. He now has an excellent sperm count.

My dh is now also on 1000 mg L'Carnitine, 500 mg Acetyl-l-Carnitine, 1200 mg Ginseng daily. The L'Carnitine and Acetyl-l-Carnitine are the main ingredients of the 'wonder' drug to improve sperm called Proxeed as recommended by lots of docs in the USA. Proxeed is very expensive so I just give dh the main ingredients which works out much cheaper

Another tip is to keep the sperm warm on route to the hospital to be tested - wrap the bottle in a pre heated towel.

Another man had a good result and managed to get his wife pregnant by using the following daily:-

Vitamin E - 400 iu - increases sperms ability to impregnate,
Vitamin C - 1000 mg - good antioxidant, Vitamin B complex & B-12 - 1000 mcg/day - increases sperm count & motility,
Chelated Zinc - 50mg - or 30 mg 2 x /day - req'd for healthy male reproduction and sperm production,
Astragalus - (fingerprinted) 250 mg up to 2 x/day - Increases energy level, stimulates defense system, diuretic, vasodialator, increases peripheral circulation, decreases stress (physical & emotional) - increases sperm motility,
Ginseng - alternate every 3 weeks between Panax Ginseng and Siberian Ginseng - (concentrated) 1000mg - increases testosterone levels and sperm count,
Saw Palmetto - (fingerprinted) 500 mg/day - essential for good male reproductive health -focus on prostate. Has demonstrated greater effect on Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy (BPH) in 80% of patients being treated previously with Prescription medication. Increase semen quantity.
L-Carnitine - 250 mg/day - increases sperm motility. Good for cardiovascular health. L'Arginine - 4 gr/day - increases sperm count,
Coenzyme Q10 - increases count & motility.

In studying CoQ10's role in improving male fertility, researchers A. Lewin and H. Lavon at Hadassah-Hebrew University, Israel, report that this coenzyme does two important things for sperm cells: it supercharges their energy and, as an antioxidant, protects them from damage by free radicals.Seventeen patients with low fertilization rates were given 60 mg of supplemental CoQ10 for 103 days. The sperm's motility rate-power to move toward the egg-almost doubled. And their fertilization rate more than doubled-good news for couples wanting to have a baby.

In another study, conducted by A. Mancini, et al., researchers found that CoQ10 is present at high levels in seminal fluid, which correlates directly with sperm count and motility rates. In patients suffering with varicocele-a vericose enlargement of the veins of the spermatic cord, which is sometimes accompanied by a tumor on the scrotum-their CoQ10 levels were found to be low; therefore, their sperm count and motility were low, as well. The authors concluded that "Since coenzyme Q10 is an antioxidant molecule involved in the defense of the cell from free-radical damage, higher intracellular concentrations may represent a mechanism of protection of the spermatozoa. In varicocele patients, this mechanism could be deficient, leading to higher sensitivity to oxidative damage," which could be improved with supplemental CoQ10

Q: Can my husband take something to improve his sperm count?
A: A new study published in the March 2002 issue of "Fertility and Sterility" found that a combination of folic acid and zinc supplements increased sperm count by 74% in men with fertility problems. Researchers say the findings may open up new avenues for male fertility research and treatments. The Dutch study, looked at the effects of the supplements in men with low sperm counts and men with normal counts. Folic acid and zinc supplements were studied because both elements are essential to the formation of DNA and creation of sperm. Researchers found that men with fertility problems who took 5 mg of folic acid a day and 66 mg of zinc sulfate a day for 26 weeks had a 74% increase in total normal sperm count and a minor (4%) increase in abnormal sperm count. No significant increases were found among the healthy men's sperm counts. When either zinc or folic acid was taken alone, there was no significant effect on sperm production. Researchers say more study is needed to understand how these two micronutrients work together to affect male fertility before widespread use of the supplements can be recommended as a fertility treatment.

Q: My husband had an abnormal sperm count and we are desperate. Does that mean we will never get pregnant?
A: A normal semen analysis or sperm count is a reliable finding that there's no problem with the male's fertility. But a single abnormal sperm count doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything wrong. First, you need to know which of these tests came back abnormal because not all have the same significance. For example, is it the number of sperms, the appearance, the movements? Most doctors will repeat an abnormal sperm count because many things can happen to the semen sample while it's being collected or on the way to the lab. They must be confirmed before any conclusions are reached or further exams ordered. Information from an abnormal count can be used to
determine if additional tests need to be done or if a urologist should be consulted. The results will also tell the doctor whether fertility procedures such as
intrauterine inseminations (IUI) or intracytoplasmic injection of sperm (ICSI) will increase the chance of pregnancy. Even when abnormal test results are confirmed, it usually does not mean pregnancy is impossible. Even men with very low sperm counts have been known to father children through intercourse. If you have even a small amount of sperm, there's no reason to give up, it just will make it more difficult. What matters is not how many or how fast they swim, but whether they can fertilize your partner's eggs. Up to 10 percent of men with abnormally low sperm counts can potentially impregnate a woman.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have low sperm can anyone suggest anything to help us.. We really want a baby, like everyone else on here, would be VERY grateful for any advice Lve Cat xx

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I would recommend the Fertility Plus tabs from Marilyn Glenville. They aren't cheap but they do work for motility and to increase the sperm count. The tablets are available from http://www.marilynglenville.com web site.

All the best

Jenny

This post contains unconfirmed links and information and readers are reminded that Fertilityfriends.co.uk or it's owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone

Can somebody tell me hoe metformin helps sperm motility. I've been searching for so long can't find anything helpful.
Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
we have problem about pregnancy.we have 2% normal morfology..please suggest any thing to help us.we realy want ababy.
thanks hengameh

·
Registered
4,533 Posts

BUMP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts