Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I'm sure some of you will be able to relate to this but we're having big problems changing the nappy!
He WILL NOT lie still or stand still and it ends up a big drama every time. A few weeks ago I could pacify LO with a distraction of some kind, but now, the minute I lie him down, he's off. I end up chasing him round the room!

Some tips would be great and also, what are pull-up nappies like? I know they're meant for potty training, but I wondered if I could use them? I have no problem getting his swim-pants on, it's so much easier...

love Claire x

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Sounds all too normal we had exactly the same about the same age then it got better now she is like it again have to pin her down.  We use the easy up nappies quite often, they are pull on nappies, pampers easy up, huggies little walkers or Tesco own find them a bit easier but still a problem when need her to lay for the dirty nappy so not sure if we doing the right thing using them or not

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
C is only 6mths and I've got him in pull-up type nappies since he started to roll all over the place during nappy changes!!  ;D ;D I find they're less bulky too so C is able to move a lot more freely and he's started to sit up for longer too!!

I use Boots own easy on pants and they're great!! Huggies little walkers are also good but they are the most expensive ones as they have sides which can be opened like a conventional nappy and reclosed too.

Or, my sister uses Asda's own pull up pants for her DS who is nearly 2. They're part of the 'Great Stuff' range and really cheap but good value she reckons.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
I just give up and result in brute force - nightmare ::)

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
the Tesco ones are really good too, my DD doesn't have much of a waist but they still stay up no problem

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Same story here.  chaos at nappy change since a very early age - practically small baby stage because he would wriggle and kick so much - it just progressed with his physical abilities getting more and more to being harder and harder to change him.  Then from about 10 months he could get up and run off  :eek: and changes since then have been almost impossible.  Plus he does alot of poos each day!!  It's still a nightmare at 2.5.  He giggles and thinks it's hilarious.  It won't work with a 7 month old but now I just resort to threatening to take toys away - and I do it.  usually gets him to submit  ;D

Personally I found pullups just as hard to get him into, and TBH the wriggling starts when I'm trying to get stuff off let alone put clean ones on, so pull ups don't help there.  The whole distract them with a toy tactic never worked!

Claire x

·
Registered
691 Posts
We had exactly the same problem with Jamie and I've been using the pull up nappies for ages now without any problems.  I have tried them all and found the morrisons ones to be the best for absorbing everything and I like the way the elastic is round the legs and the waist as they seem to sit much better.

Michelle xx

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Sorry, but when Kieran wont keep still I pin him down, especially if its a messy one and I don't want it getting everywhere and I make sure everything is ready to hand to make the job as quick as possible, wont use pull ups as you get a lot less in a pack so work out much more expensive and I also read that there not as absorbent on wee as there meant for potty training, so intended for accidents rather than as a nappy.  But I know lots of people do use them as a normal nappy, so assume some brands must be ok then.  Its the same for changing clothes, sometimes he wants to move all over the place or think its funny to try and kick me and other times he will just let you get on and change him.

Shazznemwna

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
they do make pull on nappies now as well as the pull up potty training pants.  But as you say you do get less in a pack for Bel in size 4 she gets around 50 normal nappies I think but it down to under 40 in the pull up ones, one reason we've gone back to normal nappies. 
Not ideal and I know bel that bit older but I tell her she needs her nappy doing and to lay down, and she can finally after being told a number of times lay down anywhere! in the house but I have the nappy and wipes ready and go to where ever she has laid down works for the moment at least

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
I find a knee in the chest works quite well.....

:D

Or a bottle of milk helps sometimes - she is a milk monster and it's a great bribe!!!

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
DS went through this stage also and I found that changing the nappy upside down was easiest....  Hard to explain but I kind of knelt over him at the head end so that I kind of gripped his shoulders between my knees and he was looking at my bum if that makes sense.  It wasn't hurting him but just kind of using my knees as an extra pair of hands to hold his shoulders in place so he couldn't flip over whilst keeping my hands free to do the nappy bit.  Does take some practice though as you are doing the nappy from the wrong end!  ^idiot^  ;D  Now DS can physically stand up and run off I have invested in some pull ups for the really bads days when he is being a horror!  However, as has already been said, they don't seem to cover such a big area around the bottom and definitely don't seem to hold as much so I am trying not to use them much until we get to potty training.  I also found that it was easier to rip it down the sides to remove if it was a poopy one as trying to slide it off conventionally isn't the easiest thing either  :-\

Fluffs xxx

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Pull ups or a biscuit when changing! Naughty I know but works! xx

·
Registered
380 Posts
I always change them on the table as they know they will fall if they start squirming.  Will was a little s*d for a while, when he was around 12 months so much so that one night I threw the nappy and boy at dh and said "you do it!!!" - then I decided to not let him see he was winding me up, did the change VERY quickly without speaking to him/looking him in the eye and he soon got bored and now he is ok, not perfect, but ok  ;)  I find a noisy music toy works well.

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
I usually try & make N giggle when he's having his nappy changed & throw his trousers over his eyes so we can play peepo. This worked when he was smaller but we did go through a phase where I had hold of his ankles holding his bum off the floor while he tried to twist over onto his tummy! I did then have to pin him down but the phase didn't last long.

Now he tells me when he wants changing or if he's pooed so I ask him to lie down for a change, sometimes he will sometimes he won't! Gone are the days when he used to bring me a nappy, the changemat & then lie down patiently on it ;D

x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts