Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,
Can anyone help me with a problem?
One of my girls has always been harder to b/f, and I've been waiting (and waiting ::) ) for her to get better at it ;D  She is gaining weight, is settled between feeds, and has slept through the night since 6 weeks, so I'm happy that she's getting enough milk, it's just that she constantly slips off the latch unless I support my breast and hold her firmly on.  It makes feeding in public a bit harder and less discreet, and I seem to be all elbows ;D ;D
She often makes a clicking noise when she feeds, and frequently gets distressed on the breast; it's hard to explain, but she has her mouth wide open around my breast, but bangs her head around and cries.  There seems to be no apparent reason why she doesn't just latch on ^idiot^  A few seconds later (and some guidance from me) she goes back on again.  The girls have a bottle at 10pm and I've noticed she makes the same clicking noise then, so I'm wondering if we have a latch issue - could the clicking be a poor seal? 

What do you think?

Is it worth going to see someone about it? 

xx Clare

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Hi Clare,

Sorry I can't really help with the clicking sound but I know that C used to do that too whilst BFing. He does have a tongue-tie though so it may have been related to that as we still get the clicking noise when he has a bottle but not a cup.

It never stopped C from BFing tho so gawd knows what it was about!!  ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Clare William made that clicking noise too. We wondered if he had tongue tie as well but if they can stick their tongues out even just to their lips apparently they don't and as W could touch his lips with his tongue it was ruled out.

My NCT BF-ing lady said she thought the clicking was just part of his inability to latch properly and he does it with bottles too but not all the time as he did BF-ing. When I was BF-ing W the NCT lady advised me to hold W quite firmly too as he fussed and came off all the time but she did say that a baby that gets the hang of it will only need that firm grip when learning and will latch on naturally once they are a little older and more accomplished. Providing your little girl is gaining weight ok I suppose it's not a problem and just one of those things.

Funnily enough at night time now when he gets to the end of a bottle William fusses and squirms and 'spits' the bottle out, he seems to do it 3 times and then just gets on with it and polishes off the remainder of the feed, I've no idea what it's all about, just him being a pixie!

B x :-*

PS thanks for the PM!  ;)

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Hi Clare,

Here is an interesting article on clicking while bfeeding from Kellymom which may help...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/clicking-when-nursing.html

My twins made this sound for a short time when they were very small and were found to have thrush. This problem disappeared after we were all treated by the GP and we never had this again.

The article highlights other reasons such as poor latch etc. The other posters have given some really good tips and interesting experiences.

My daughter very, very occasionally makes this sound when very tired and when her mouth forms a sloppy latch due to being completely knackered! But this is very rare for her....

I don't really know the answer, but hope all goes well for you.

Best of luck,

Daisy
x

[red]This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.uk or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites[/red]

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone :)

The girls do have completely different tongues; Georgie's is pointed and Evie's seems much shorter and squared off, but she can definitely reach her lips with it. 

I think I'll pop along to my b/feeding clinic and see what they say.

xx Clare

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
Hi Clare, I think the others have answered on the clicking.

In terms of latching on and falling off all the time - I found the best way to feed C was to have him upright, facing me with his legs straddling my thigh - it looks a bit odd ;D ;D as people are so used to the more traditional way of feeding - but for us it improved feeding almost immediately. It also takes a lot of pressure of your arms and back as your leg takes the majority of the weight (and I had a nightmare time trying to get pillows in the right position so he could fee and my back was supported). It was also more comfortable for C as he got bigger and stronger and was less prone to trying to wriggle out of that position to see what was going on around him!

Blu

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
This is really interesting!  I'd just popped in here to post a very similar question!  ;)

Sadie's started making sort of clicking/lipsmacking noises since about a week ago.  She was a good latcher from the start so I've been wondering why it's suddenly gone a bit pear shaped.  She builds up a terrific amount of wind now and I have to stop halfway through a feed - luckily she burps very easily and lets rip some absolute corkers which make Matthew laugh!  ;D  The second half of the feed in particular is really fussy and faffy and she pulls off all the time.

Like Blu I find feeding more upright helps, but I couldn't work out why she was doing it in the first place - will have to check out the kellymom reasons for it too.

C x

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's interesting Claire - particularly as you say she's always been a good feeder ???

I've just got back from an NCT committee meeting, where I had a really interesting chat with a breast-feeding counsellor.  Apparently it's quite common to run into problems with the latch as the babies get bigger; the position you feed a newborn in is not necessarily right as they get longer/fatter etc.  This is probably obvious to all of you, but it hadn't occurred to me at all ^idiot^  So, just as in the beginning, if the position is wrong, the latch might be wrong, which leads to poor feeding, windy fussy babies and so on....

So I'm off to b/feeding clinic on Wednesday morning, to hopefully start from scratch again :)

xx Clare

1 - 8 of 8 Posts