Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Please could you tell me what our best bet is with my DH having a 1.5 million Sperm count.  He is doing another test next week, but if it is the same, what should we expect the next step to be?

I have just had my Day 21 blood done, but I think I will probably be ok (touch wood).  If I am ok and it is just him, what next?

Is IUI going to be out of the question as the count is too low?

Appreciate your comments.

Many thanks

Kay

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Kay

I would think you will be recommended for ICSI.

My partners sperm count was higher than that (14million) and they said ICSI was our best option.

Good luck!!

Kim
x

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Kay

We were told by our consultant that to have IUI there needs to be at least 5 million healthy sperm after they have been washed to remove the slow swimmers etc (we are currently waiting for my DH's sperm wash results).

Hope your DH's second result shows some improvement. You could get him to try vitamins to see if that helps to improve his SA results. I know it has worked for a lot of men (see the Male Factors in Infertility thread).

Also, my clinic wanted me to have my tubes checked before they would consider IUI.

Good luck.

Rach. x

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi

I would add that Steve took Wellman vit tablets for 3 months and his last sperm count was 24million!!!

Kim
x

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Hiya,

My hubby's count varies from 0.6 - 3.1 million, with the average being 1.6 million.

We were initially told about IUI using donor sperm, and I did achieve a pregnancy this way, although I did have a m/c.

We then tried two cycles of ICSI with hubby's sperm, but we are now going back to donor sperm IUI,

Wishing you the very best,

Marie xx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Marie and Kacey.  So sorry to see you m/c'd Marie.

My DH has a big problem with the donor sperm idea, so we will percivere with the wrigglers he does have I think.

How long did you have to wait to get your first ICSI?  Do you have to go private or is it available on NHS?  How much does it cost.

Sorry, this stuff is all new to me.

Thanks for your help

A confused Kay xxx :-(

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Kay -

We egg-shared, so it took about 5 months of tests before we got started - its usually more like 1-3 months after your first appt though, I believe.
We went private - I think the average cost for ICSI is around the £3,000 mark.
If you are under 35,  you may be able to egg-share, which will bring the cost down  - then you'll only need to pay the HFEA fee, and the ICSI - it cost us £903.    ;)

Feel free to ask any questions,

Marie xx

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi

We've done 2 ICSI's (private as no funding up to now in Wiltshire) - although now we should be able to get one free cycle IF needed.

Bad news is - each cycle has cost us £4,000.

Had two BFP's though - first one last Sept - but had missed m/c and just got my second BFP yesterday!  Praying all will be OK this time.

We also had 3 frozen embies this time - all good grades, and the grades I had put back were both 1's - so I've got everything crossed!!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kim
xx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are so great.  Sorry for all the stupid questions.

What the heck is egg sharing?

I am only 27, but DH is 37 and already has 2 from previous marriage at the drop of a hat (although they are 17 and 19 now, so this was some time ago).

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Kay,

I did egg-share once - but the cycle we did the egg-share, DH's sperm was really bad - 0.6 million, and most of them dead - and we got really poor fertilisation rates.

Egg-sharing is when you donate half of your eggs collected to another anonymous donor. Click here http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,15.0.html for the egg-sharing forum - the is lots of advice and info about it there. ;)

I would talk to your clinic about Dh's sperm count before going for egg-sharing - we were advised after our egg-sharing cycle not to egg share again, due to the condition of DH's sperm - we basically needed as many eggs as possible for DH to attempt to fertilise.

Best of luck,
Marie xx

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Kay

Don't worry about asking questions......I didn't know anything 6 months ago, but have picked up alot along the way through my 2 cycles!!

Egg share is when you donate some of your eggs (only some girls will be able to do this) - it reduces the cost of your cycle ALOT - however reduces the amount of eggs you have for yourself.  Law has recently changed though and you cannot stay anonymous any more - so if a child is born as a result of one of your eggs being fertilised etc.....then the your identity can be revealed later in life. 

I've never egg shared - but basically because my clinic never told me about it!

Where do you live?  You might qualify for funding, but to be honest with you - usually the main criteria is that neither partner have children from a previous relationship. 

I live in Wiltshire - and the only reason I didn't qualify is because I wasn't old enough - I had to be 35 and I'm 32!!!  Now they have removed this rule and we qualify for one cycle - but had to pay for our second cycle in the meantime.  I'm hoping I'll never need another cycle in my life though!!!

If you ever want to chat - I don't mind giving you my tel number - it's often nice to have someone to gossip to about all the goings on.

Kim
xxx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice Kasey.  I live in Essex, so not sure where that leaves us on funding?

I think i'll leave the egg sharing, I want to give us the best chance possible.  It's a great thing to do and maybe something I could do when all this is over.

I guess I need to talk to the Dr and find out about costs etc. I can't believe that because DH had 2 children with his previous wife, I have to suffer and I'm only 27!    Where can I find out about funding?

Thanks

K

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Kay,

My hubby also has low sperm count (less than 1 mil first count, less than 5 mil second, then less than 2 mil) we have also been advised that ICSI is our best option and are going to be starting our first cycle at the end of this month.

I also live in Essex, in Hornchurch, so we come under London Borough of Havering, we have been for NHS appt and were told we would qualify for funding as neither of us have any children, but as I am 26 I am too young, you have to be 27. Seeing as the waiting list is 15 months long I am going to try to get on it now as I will be 27 but the time our chance comes around (though hopefully we won't need it!!) However, I have been trying to call the fertility clinic everyday this week and due to staff shortages they can't haven't got anyone to answer the phone or so it says on the answer phone so I am not holding out much hope of the waiting list gettig any shorter!!

In the mean time we are at Essex Fertility/Holly House, we also considered egg sharing but hubby wasn't too comfortable with the idea of me being traced so we decided to find the money from somewhere for our first attempt.

As this is my first time I can't really give you any other info about Holly House yet, but there are other girls on this site who are there , and I would be more than happy to give my opinion of the place once we have started treatment.

Wow that turned into such a long message, sorry if it is a lot of waffle!!

Good luck with everything,

Soz xxx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, great info,  Thanks Soz.

We are in Chelmsford, so not sure where that comes under.  I know there is a hospital in Brentwood that does it, but don't know what it is like.  Where is Holly House?

How much are you paying, if you don't mind me asking?

So, can you go private whilst being on the waiting list then?  I didn't know you could do that.

Thanks for your help.

K

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Shas

Thanks for your reply.

Think you have me confused with someone else.  I have only just had 21 day blood test (still awaiting result), so don't even know if I am ok yet.

I don't think I can wait another 3-5 years.  How long do you have to wait if you are paying?

K

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Ladies,

Shaz -  at our local NHS hopsital they said at one point the waiting list was 3 + years long but they did lots of campaigning etc and got it right down to about 6 months, which is excellent, so you never know. The fertility sister we saw said we should definitely try to get on the waiting list cos you can always come off if you are successful.

Kay -  Holly House is in Buckhurst Hill, do you know that area at all?? It has really good stats, but think it might be more expensive than other clinics. I think it is going to cost us 4000-5000, which is a scary amount of money!! We initially called to get an appointment in November and were told it was a 6 month waiting list for a consultation so we weren't due to go in until end of March, but that rang us in January and brought us forward as they had new consultants. Although you may have to wait for the first consultation after that you can start as soon as you ar ready.

I go in for my 21st day injection teach Thursday week, so I will definitely let you know how I get on, but I have also spoken to another couple of girls on here about them and they said they are good, though sometimes a bit matter of fact, but I guess they have to be like that don't they.

I know there is a hospital in Brentwood as well, but we didn't really look into that as Holly House is more convinenent for us and has really good results.

love Soz x

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello  :)

No, I don't know the area.  4-5k is a lot of money, but well worth it I think.  Will just have to have smaller birthday presents for the rest of the baby's life!  The worst thing is, that it might not even work and all that cash for nothing!

I can't wait to sort out our first consultation.  I can't get in to see my Dr at the moment as she only does 2 week block apointments and they are all full up!  Oh well, better get used to the waiting I guess.

Do they speed you up if DH sperm deteriorated quickly?  I had a suspected m/c 4 years ago as soon as I came off the pill and DH had kids really quickly with x-wife, so I think they may be rapidly diminishing!

Thanks

K

·
Registered
154 Posts
hi again,

I am not sure if they speed you up to be honest, but if your husband has had two children already they might be able to find the root of the problem?? I am no expert but I do know another couple who had similar problems to ours and the man had an op because there was something wrong with his varicole (prob wrong spelling and wrong word!!) and although his count only went up to 14 mil (sounds like loads to me but still low) she got pregnant within a month!! That is not the case with my husband though so we have to go for treatment.

I agree with you it is a lot of money, but it is so worth it if it works. If it doesn't work this time, we will see how long waiting list is and maybe consider egg sharing again.

There is loads of waiting though, we had to wait for our doctors appt, then go for loads of tests and wait for those results, then have the tests again and wait for results again, then waiting 4 months for NHS appt and private appt...... But now we are starting in two weeks. But saying that we started having tests and stuff in September after trying for over a year with nothing some people go for years don't they, so I guess we are lucky we found out fairly early on.

By the way Buckhurst Hill is near Chigwell, Loughton, Woodford, not sure if you know any of these places.

I am rambling again!!

love Soz x

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.