Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH got results of a S/A and was told count was normal, mobility was normal(is that the movements?) however the 'normal form' was lower than average at 2 per cent. Doc said something about 15 percent to be normal. Is this correct and if so is 2 percent likely to be anough to conceive??Appreciate any words of wisdom on this thanks! Johanna xxx

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Hi Johanna

I am not a nurse so I am talking from personal experience.

We were also told that 15% was considered a normal value on the strict assessment. 

We had the same 2% morphology although our overall count was on the low side at between 13 - 20 mill, so that will have had an impact on the thoughts.

We were basically told that with these figures our chance of natrual conception were 20% every 2 years.  On that basis they recommended proceeding down the ICSI route.  Your consultant should be able to provide advice based on your particular circumstances.

It is worth knowing that sperm production takes around 3 months so heavy drinking session may impact the results etc.  It also means any chances you make to diet etc won't show until at least that time has elapsed.

We saw an improvement in DHs levels from 2 to 7 % after he took MG vits, cut out alcohol and caffine and started acupuncture.  He is convinced that the biggest factors were either the acupuncture or because he was more hydrated and making an affort to drink water. 

I hope that helps and lots of luck

Clare

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Clare for your qiuck reply!
Congatulations to you and DH and wishing you all the best. Not long to go now eh??

I think we really do need to speak to our consultant next time we go as the last 2 times we saw other docs in his team different ones each time! The doc did not seem concerned with the 2 precent but I am thinking it must be an important factor as it was also in your case. Anyway we will sort it out with a bit of assertiveness!!

Thanks again and take care Johanna xx

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
2% seems to be a frequent number for morphology, we had started treatment but managed to conceive on our own, somehow!!!  ::)

I have pcos too so the odds definately weren't good but apparently they were good enough!!

Our consultant told us that at the end of the day you only need one sperm, I suppose he was right!!

Take care, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both X

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow amazing story Oink! Congratulations!!!!It must have been such a wonderful surprise when you had your scan! Take care and have a healthy and enjoyable pregnancy love Johanna

1 - 5 of 5 Posts