Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I was wondering whether any of you might shed some light on this situation for us.  We are presently having ICSI and i was due for e/c on Saturday just gone.  Normally Dh count is low and all sorts wrong with it but this time there was no sperm at all, even after a second sample  :'(  They then thawed all his frozen straws but nothing survived.  Needless to say he needed to have unexpected SSR that day  :eek:  They tried just to use the aspiration but they couldn't find any sperm.  The ended up having to do a biopsy which has proved very painful for him.  :-\ Both of us are a little confused because the reason we need ICSI is due to him having had a vasectomy in the past and then a reversal.  He has 2 children from a previous marriage too.  We are both quite confused as to why there would be no sperm in the epididymis.  As far as we are concerned the vasectomy should not affect production of sperm in any way.  He had also abstained for 3 days. 

Sorry I'm rambling on a bit now but i am very confused and this is leading to a lot of worrying thoughts for my DH.  Could he possibly have been infertile to a certain degree all his life??? 

Any advice welcomed

Shaz xxx

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Sheeboo - you poor thing! Can't believe this has happened after you being sooooo generous last-time ^hugme^ don't know what to say really, good news is that if anyone in our area can sort you out it's Care! 
A friend of ours actually had a similar problem - the clinic said either he had been INCREDIBLY lucky in the past (he has 3 kids!) or something had happened to stop them producing. He suspects it has something to do with spending time on a banana farm in CostaRica. After he came back there was an expose of how lots of central american plantations were using pesticides which were making the men sterile (another good reason to by windward island/Caribbean bananas!!) But I think the  chances of your Dh being a secret banana picker are slim so i really don't know.
Sorry I can't be more constructive.
Lots of love,
Lizi.xxx

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Thanks for the replies folks.  I think its jusy gping be be one of thos eunexplained things we have to lkive with.  My 2ww is a bit of a nightmare cos im not supposed to be doing much and Dh is ion a lot of pain and cant od much either.  lol Having to get the family to come over and clean for us  ::)

Can any of the nurses advise at all on this?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Sheboo,

I know exactly how you are feeling.  :'(

My Dh originally had a low sperm count back in April 04 and so we started on the road for ICSI. By the time he was due to give a sample in October for our first cycle he was producing none and a second sample three days later proved the same.

He went onto have a PESA and then a TESE all of which came back with the same result - nothing. His FSH was 4.5, so all indications were good.

The only explanation our consultant could give us was that it appeared that over time, DH's sperm was getting less and less and when we identified back in April 04 as 'low' he suggested that it had probably been falling for years and unfortunately for us we did not get any frozen at that time and 6 months later he was idenitified as azoospermic. Our consultant said it could have been something as simple as an infection that DH would never have known he had and this could have caused him to make less and less sperm.

Sorry its not any hopeful news and that I cannot shed any light on this for you, but I just wanted to say I totally understand how devasted you must feel. Our 1st cycle was cancelled due to the nil result from the PESA and then our second cycle we had to resort to donor due to the result of the TESE.

If you need to chat, feel free to IM me. Its such a shock I know and its going to take time to sink in. Many a nights DH and me have gone over and over what it could have been. DH did work with radiation many many years ago but took all the necessary precautions - we just don't know if I'm honest what it is, unfortunately we just have to accept this.

Sending you some hugs at what must be a really difficult time.  ^hugme^

Nat xxxxx

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Sheboo

How devastating for you both, especially after your selfless act of donating your eggs.  Wish we could ease the pain for both of you. 

My dh had vasectomy too.  We have never been successful with PESA but have sperm in the TESA once.  We usually have to go to TESE biopsy too, infact last time they went straight to biopsy and didn't bother with PESA and TESA.  DHs never thaws too.  Vasectomised men start to produce antibodies and kill sperm after so long from the operation.  Best people to talk to would be the embryologists, we found them very helpful.

Hope you are getting plenty of support just now.  We will be thinking of you

Love Lolly X

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.