Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new at this but I have read some of the stuff about male factor ICSI and taking vitamins and have wondered why my DH has not been advised to take anything? He has a high sperm count but very poor motility.
Any tips? Should he be taking something>

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi rowingbeau,my dh and i are in the exact same boat as you and ur dh,(high count-poor motility),we fought these results for the longest time,we had an endocrinologist test my dh-as its possible that a gland prob can cause the same results as infertility does but the gland prob CAN be cured in some cases,but we found the docs were right in their dx,and we have to go thru icsi,personally i feel if u r given the option between ivf or icsi then my advise would be to go 4 icsi,its more complex but more successfull(only in my opinion)and it doesn't cost much more.Ask ur clinic if there is a poss cause of dh infertility-they r generally good and know what they r talking about.I wish u and dh all the luck in the world.SKYE. ^fairydust^

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hey there Rowingbeau we are having icsi due to dh having stored sperm due to cancer earlier this year..I have looked at several books about sperm production..currently his count is zero but the clinic seems to think it will come back within a year or 2. We have been trying to eat Organic and both of us are taking Glenville vitamins (which are pricey but seem to be one of the best on the market)Dh was taking wellman vits but they made him feel sick and gave him chest pains??? But he seems to be doing well on his new vits..I am a great believer in that what you put in to your body is what you get out..(ie if you ate chocolate everyday all day you would get unhealthily fat) so if you eat healthy your body will be healthy..We've both also started drinking filtered and bottled water and i dont cook now unless the water is filtered(i know it sounds silly but there are lots of chemicals in the water that build up in your body and dh's chemo has given him so many chemicals already) We dont strictly follow this..ie if we eat out or at friends we dont bother about what food we eat but try to stay away from things that are soaked in grease.
I think that most people however well they eat will never get the right amount of vits in their diet there's just so many things you're supposed to have..so i think most people take a daily supplement of some kind.

It may be worth looking on the internet or looking in some books
There are some herbal remedies that are really good (ie some women who dont ovulate take angus castus and it helps them ovulate)I have to stress that these vits and things aren't a guarantee for improvement by my philosophy is that it cant do any harm or make things worth so anythings worth a try.
If you want i'll have a look in my books and let you know what they advise..
Have the clinic advised why the motility may be poor?(we have been told that it takes 100 days for sperm to recreate so we are having dh's sperm tested 100 days on from when he started taking his vits as there would be no point before..i'll let you know how we get on..)
Anyway enough of me waffling..hopefully ive been of some help if you'd like any info or i can help in some way the feel free to pm me.
Ju

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Hi girls,

Just thought i would share my experience with you.

My DH had a poor semen test back in april last year and we were told that we would need icsi unless we could improve things with vitamins. I did alot of research and decided to put him on every vitamin that could help.

He took:

Selenium
Zinc
Vitamin e
Vitamin c
folic acid
Flaxseed
ginseng

We bought most of these from tesco as they seemed the cheapest although some came from holland and barratt. Make sure you buy the highest strength you can find.

Our clinic were amazed that after 6 months his count had gone from 19 million to 120 million, his motility from 50% to 100% and the amount of abnormal sperm from 85% down 75% which is right on the border.

We only needed ivf afterall which was successful first time so i wish you all the same luck.

Leanne xx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts