Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please could someone help or maybe reassure me and DH.

Since finding out in May DH had <1million sperm count, we have been in the process of getting to where we are today. I.E. - I am now D/R - Day 7.

Until now, no-one at the clinic has suggested DH have a SA. In fact we have been nagging and nagging and also asked for sperm to be frozen, as DH is 43 and on medication. Its taken until now - today to get this done, bearing in mind where I am in my tx, only to be told DH now has no sperm - NIL.

We are utterly devastated. He has been asked to go back on Friday to provide another sample, but realistically is it going to change? Could it be a glitch? What are we going to do?

The consultant indicated back in Sept when we first met with them, that in her opinion, sperm retrieval was not an option and now we are at the stage where I am D/R and DH potentially no longer has any sperm.

It seems like all the attention has been on me and yet the problem has always been with DH and yet nothing done until now.

Please help! Can anyone give me any encouragement. We're not sure how we are going to get through this until Friday. We are so low - will my tx have to be abandoned. Should the clinic have let me get this far without testing DH's sperm?

Many thanks,

Natalie x

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi Natalie

I'm not a nurse or anything but I thought it might help to share some information with you that my dh and I were told when we first went to see our ivf consultant.

She showed us a chart of the sperm count of a guy who had been donating his sperm and sometimes the count was really high and on one occasion it was actually nil.

The consultant said that this guy was perfectly healthy and that having a nil count (occasionally) was quite normal.

I hope this helps.

take care

susiex

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Susie,

Thanks for your post. I'm hoping it is a fluke this time and that next time will be okay, just like that man!

Thanks again.

Nat xx

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Natalie -
My hubby also has a count of <1million.    The lowest it has been in 'unreadable' which, I took to mean 'nil'.  :(    The highest its even been was 3.1 million, which is the first sperm count they did at the clinic.  We were so used to hearing it was <1million, that when she said 'I'm so sorry, its 3.1 million' she was suprised by us laughing and chatting in excitement!! 
They did freeze some of my hubby's sperm before our ICSI, just in case there wasnt many on the day, so to speak.
Best of luck,
Marie xx

·
Registered
174 Posts
hi
ive just been reading your post and its made me very curious? My dp had two sperm samples which showed nothing on each one ! Luckily he had a succsesfull surgical sperm retrieval but we still have no idea why he has azoospermia, neither do the doctors as all his tests came back as negative.I know i might be dreaming but does anyone know if there maybee a possibility that he could produce sperm in the natural way. Has anybody had any similar experiences? if so i would love to hear from you.
thanks Emma Jayne XXXXXX

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi Natalie
i am having ivf in the Cromwell clinic for the second time. i tried last year, got pregnant but miscarried. this time i have seen a different consultant and being told certain things that are conflicting to my previous attempt. i am concerned that i have been given wrong info and not felt comfortable with not really knowing what is the right way to go, only really learning from the net. from what i have read and from my GP, i find it very strange that sperm retrieval was not an option as i think even if there is no count that sperm can be taken from the testes. when i initially decided to use the Cromwell clinic my DH(i have no idea what this stands for!)had to have a test for his sperm before they would decide on the best treatment. this was a year ago with other consultants tho.
i am waiting to see if my eggs have fertilized so cant sleep. hope this is of some help, don't really know what to say as first time with message boards. only replied cos i saw Cromwell on the page!
Mel x

·
Registered
174 Posts
mel
    wishing you lots of luck with your eggs i expect you will have lots of lovely embies in the morning!!!! Dh means dear husband dp means dear partner. this confused me for ages but found the abrieviation page a couple of days ago! you do get used to ff funny language.
take care  hope all goes well
Emma Jayne xxx

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All,

Many thanks for your messages and advice.

DH did another 2 samples on Friday but still NIL so now its down to PESA. They're also not sure whether it is a blockage or not, so the only way to find out is to go in. FSH levels are 4.4, which apparently is very good, so everything is pointing towards positive.I'm still d/r but on a reduced dosage so I can on for a few more weeks - what joy!! But its all in a good cause.

Mel - which consultant are you under at The Cromwell. I'm with DR Nair. Let me know how you get on with your eggs. If you want to chat, you can email me personally, or there are lots of welsh ladies on the ICSI thread - Male Factor ICSI Pt 7. We often swap notes and pass on info, so please feel free to join us. Keeping everything crossed for you.

Thanks again everyone!

Nat xx

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nat: I have sent you a message.

Hi Mel,
There are a few of us having tx at Cromwell. As Nat said we post on MF ICSI on the ICSI board. Please come and join us or feel free to message me anytime.
Hope you are well and everything is moving forward for you.

Love
dotty xxx
^daisy^

1 - 9 of 9 Posts