Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the basic element of tax credit they say if you get more than you may get maternity grant?? Is that the £10 (got that up until I finally 10 months late told them my part time wage) a week one (for a child over 1) I'm getting £19 a week so wondering if I may be entitled to maternity allowance this time?? and if so when can I apply.  guessing can oly apply once so if there is a chance I won't get now may wait till I'm on SMP only and they taking my wage as £13 a week! as tax credit may go up again, when can u apply I know its up to baby being 3 months but what about while pregnant?

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I'm a bit confused (not hard these days) but surely you are entitled to SMP, in which case you won't be eligible for MA too.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whoops that was me meant the grant (the £300 or what ever it is) you can apply for if getting more than basic tax credit.
Just changed my wording

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
If its the sure start grant you can apply from 29 weeks pg

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Ah ok! Have you looked on the directgov website - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018854? The earliest you can apply is at 29 weeks.

I would think the best place to go would be the job centre as they should be able to help.

Chux xx

[red]This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.uk or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites[/red]

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
posts crossed again chuxy honey   ;D

posted at exactly same time

love Chuxaire x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
merge the posts or us?  ;D

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
If it means you'll take this ratty baby off my hands for a bit so I can have my tea, let's merge us!
Oh and can I merge DP and your DH please so he can come down from Matty's room and have his tea too

C xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
^roflmao^ ^roflmao^ Hmmm, we already have one very spotty and unhappy little girl so I guess another misery guts isn't gonna make much difference!!..............just remember you have to return the favour in 6 months time. ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the link does help.  Tried job centre before when deciding if I take the top up money from work or not and ours were far from helpful told me they couldn't tell me anything!
Right being thick family element is £545 and my tax credit (after being 10 months late telling them gone part time!) is  over £19 a week which over a 52 week yr is £988 do you think I have a chance of getting it don't want to apply and then find out might have been better waiting till I was on SMP and have the baby

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Sorry Clare not really sure what you mean, but I'm guessing you're trying to gauge when your earnings would be at lowest to qualify?  but I don't think there's any trickery involved, benefits like this are usually worked out based on what your earnings are/were or what other benefits you receive - if you go on to SMP they will still account for what you have earned or what tax credits you have had til then as SMP is not strictly part of your earnings.  I think it's the tax credit that qualifies you. 
I'm just guessing here but since everyone gets SMP no matter what they earn, I doubt it is used to determine 'low income' IYSWIM

Claire x

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know it works on if you get more than the family element of tax credit you can the grant, what I'm trying to work out is do we get more than the family element- we've had no paper work thru from them since it has gone up with my part time wage but we are now getting more, so can't look at that.  I'm guessing could be if the family element if £545 max.  Oh well got plenty of time I guess would just come in handy for new carpet for their room.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
I thought you only got the higher element of tax credit if you dont work or was on a really low wage ie under £10,000? could be wrong but this was how it was explained to me when i asked if i could apply

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
think I might just apply when the time comes they can only say no.  Last time my HV told us to apply for anything we may get they can only say no, so we did, so think I'll just do that again when baby is born

1 - 17 of 17 Posts