Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am 16 weeks pregnant, although my employer (a bank) doesn't officially know this yet. There is a chance that our bank may have to freeze it's assets and cease trading. I have worked there for 9 years. This is probably a stupid question but does anyone know if I would still be entitled to maternity benefit if we shut down as I obviously can't look for other work at the moment?

Thanks

Sue (in a panic)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i'm not a professional but i'm pretty sure they would have to pay you redundancy money even if they stop trading. I work for my father and we have found out he would still have to pay me if he decided to retire. It might be worth a call to citizen's advice and they may be able to tell you who to call. Hope this helps. x

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Toria x

·
Premium Member
7,991 Posts
Hi Sue
Not sure if you get an enhanced package from the bank, however you would be entitled to MA (maternity allowance) from the state (administered by Dept of Work and Pensions) in the event that you didnt get paid by your place of work. Its the same as the basic Statutory Maternity Pay, just paid out by a central fund.

I got made redundant about a month before I got pregnant, but was still entitled to this, the qualifying period used to be from 66 weeks before your due date. Check this out so that you are prepared;
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018869

As with a lot of benefits, they dont back date very far so get your paperwork done & ready just in case.... that way you can post it if anything happens to your bank, or chuck it in the bin if you dont need it ;)

R

/links

1 - 4 of 4 Posts