Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Maternity Leave

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ~ Chux ~ 
#1 ·
Hope somebody will know the answer to this.

I am currently on maternity leave and am due back in Jan after taking the full 12 months off. We are hoping to have another round of ivf this autumn so there is a chance I could return to work pregnant again ( I hope )

Question is, is there an amount of time you have to be back to work to be entitled again?

#2 ·
HI

It may depend on your companies Maternity policy if they offer more than statutory mat leave/pay so you should first check whether you are on statutory or more generous mat leave. You can always ask for a copy of the company maternity policy, they should make this available to you without needing to know why and as you are already on mat leave it shouldn't raise any eyebrows/questions anyway.

Have a look at https://www.gov.uk/employers-maternity-pay-leave/entitlement this is the minimum employers can offer and you have to have worked for the employer continuously for at least 26 weeks up to the 'qualifying week' - the 15th week before the expected week of childbirth.

I believe that being on maternity leave counts as working but I would need to double check or you could give the citizens advise bureau a call to clarify.

Morag

/links

#3 ·
I would check out about maternity pay rather than leave. I am pretty sure there are no restrictions on when you can take a second period, but the maternity pay could be affected, though I am not completely sure. The reason being the first section of may pay is something like 90% salary for the first six weeks, and to calculate that they look at the average weekly earnings for the previous period of x weeks, but I can't remember off the top of my head what that period is.

#4 ·
Absolutely no reason why you can't have a second lot of maternity leave as you haven't broken your service, but your maternity pay is based on your earnings in particular weeks.

When I returned to work after having ds1 I was 4/5 months pg with dd1 but managed to work so I was earning in the relevant weeks to entitle me to SMP again. I then accrued my annual leave and reduce my hours enough so I could take 12 weeks holiday on my return to work second time around, meaning my notice period was spent on annual leave so I didn't actually go back at all!

C xx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.