Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you know that Lily Nicole arrived into the world at 17.36 on Friday 16th of May. Weighing 7lb 7oz and 55cm long.

Pretty sure that the first contraction was during last Wednesday's yoga class! Had a show just after I got back from class at 8.45 and then contractions were coming every time I lost more of the plug but nothing regular. Tried to sleep that night but wasn't easy by early morning was having half hourly contractions but when midwife arrived by 9.30 they still weren't increasing. Stopped by 3pm so figured that nothing would happen as midwife was sure it'd all stop. Another 'niggle' about 11pm so I went to bed thinking okay this might happen at the weekend. Woke up at 12.30 and didn't get to bed again, by 2.30 was timing them at 4 minutes so called Simpsons.

Things settled as the triage midwife had said and they went to 8-10 mins from 3-4am but by 6.30 they were <5mins, Simpsons still said stay at home and call back in an hour, by 7.30 were definitely nearer 3-4 mins so called them again at 8 and went in. Got in at 8.35am by which point they were 2-3 mins and I think my waters went in triage reception! Got examined at 9.30 and was 4 cm dilated and they called upstairs to set up the pool room for me. Was so pleased that the room was available. Got up at 10.30am and was in the pool by 11am. Managed the whole initial stage with TENS, breathing and birthing ball.

Contractions were going fine in water and was just using breathing but they slowed a bit and I was beginning to struggle so went onto gas and air. I got out for about 2 hours and was walking/sitting to move things along. Got back in pool about 3pm again and then things began to move. Found it quite hard at that point and was using a lot of gas and air but DH was a star and helped me with my breathing regulation (also had acupressure seeds in my ear, left over from my last acupuncture appointment and I asked DH to press on those for me- it was amazing, they helped take the edge off things)

By 3.45 I'd started involuntary pushing and the midwives were saying okay ready to have this baby then in the pool! Unfortunately there was still no sign of head by 4.30 and I had to get out to be examined as it was 6 hours since last one. I was happy to get out though as was finding it hard going by this point. I was fully dilated but baby's head wasn't quite low enough so the midwives suggested trying on the low couch for a while and then squatting. That helped bring the head down and then we just went for it. Had to give up the gas and air and do it on my own so I could concentrate on the pushing!!! Took 46 minutes for second stage and she was delivered on land but with me squatting between DH's legs resting on his thighs, holding hands (or more like squeezing  ;D ).

Still can't believe I did all this on Tens, water and gas and air! The midwives were so fantastic and encouraging and kept telling me/us we was doing great. The only thing that didn't go according to plan was she wasn't delivered in the water but to be honest I don't think I could have made the walk back over into he pool so was happy to deliver as I did. Had a natural 3rd stage and again that was over in 15 minutes! Start to finish for official labour was 8 hours 21 minutes but 12 hours 36 mins from membrane rupture (as far as I'm concerned it started on Wednesday at 8.45 though!)

Almost went exactly to the birth plan, but she wasn't born in the water. I did have the option to go back in but was rooted to the spot on the floor by the time I had entered second stage so no way was I moving for anything  ;D

The most amazing thing I've ever done in my life and my baby girl has just made it all worth it.

Maz x

·
Registered
740 Posts
Congratulations!

Your birth sounds beautiful. Enjoy your gorgeous baby.
x

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
OOooo Maz, well done you hun!  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ Lovely birth story, and what a poppet Lily is... you must be so very proud.  :) ^hugme^

Enjoy each other, as I'm sure you will.

Love Trip xx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Congratulations hun xx

Enjoy every minute

Nikki xx

·
Registered
817 Posts
Well done Maz, what a fabulous story  :)  ^clapping^
Hope I can do as well as you in a few months ^fingerscrossed^ but you've certainly put my mind at ease about Simpsons  :)

Best wishes and hugs to you and Lily  ^hugme^
Elaine  ^daisy^

1 - 6 of 6 Posts