Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Me First !! Anyone wanna join me !

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  hiya 
#1 ·
Hello everybody - I wanted to be the first to post on here - The New POF/Early Menopause Board !!!!!
I was first diagnosed with premature ovarian failure about 10 years ago at which time I was single with a small baby.  The consultants messed me about something terrible and queried the dx lots of times but finally they said if I ever wanted more children I would need egg donor IVF.  I was absolutely devastated and was prescribed antidepressants which I have been on and off ever since.  I tried various forms of HRT and finally settled with one which I have been taking for the last 8 years or so !!  I had every menopausal symptom going; hot flushes, night sweats, palpitations, I forgot things all the time and I felt quite mad - I was quite mad ! 

Anyway, here I am 10 years later, much better (!) on HRT, off the Prozac (for now!) and my dp and I have decided we would like a baby of our own.  Recently I have been having terrible PMT amongst other things and my GP has mentioned that my ovaries may possibly be producing oestrogen again but as yet we do not know.  I am expecting to be told I will still need donor eggs (but hoping they might feel its worth trying something else first) and my first appt is on the 29th September.  I can't wait !!!

If I can help anyone else who has been diagnosed with this, please let me know - there are not too many of us about so I hope we can all help eachother xx

Welcome to this board !!!!  ;D ;D

Lots of Love
Jennifer xx xx

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello  :)
Anyone wanna join me ?   ;)
I am feeling very alone  ^eyes^
Jennifer xx

#3 ·
Hi Jennifer - I'd love to join you!

I was diagnosed peri-menopausal 3 years ago when my fsh went up above 80 and I was having hot sweats and no periods. The sweats last for about 3 weeks and my period finally arrived after about 10 weeks. Saw an endocrinologist who explained that you can go in and out of the menopause for a few years until you're in it full blown. My fsh was measured over the next year and it came right down to below 10. At first I was told that I'd need donor eggs but then when my fsh came down I was given clomid and when that didn't work, I was told I'd be doing ivf. That was until they measured my fsh again in Feb this year and it was 86. Again I had the hot flushes, again for 3 weeks and again 10 weeks until my period. So it looks like I'm in and out of the menopause on a 3 yearly cycle! So donor eggs is the only way for me (unless my fsh drops miraculously and we get in there quickly with the bms!). Had fresh cycle in May - bfn and I've just had FET in September, got pregnant and had a miscarriage last week at 6 weeks. I've still got 2 frosties but I'm having a break now until the new year. Starting with agnus cactus tincture to try and reduce fsh.

Thats my story.........!  :)

Love Ange x

#4 ·
Hiya jennifer and angek

Thought i woud pop in and say

^hello^ to u both  ^Cuddle^ ^Cuddle^

I was in meno but it was a medically induced one, but that was bad enough

Angek, i am so sorry to hear of ur recetn m/c

^Cuddle^

Jennifer good luck for ur impending appt at bourn hall

thinking of u both

Emilyxx

#5 ·
Hi Ange - Thanks for popping in !!!
Sorry to hear about your bfn and mc - good luck with your little frosties.
Thanks for sharing your story.  Funny that you are in and out of it on 3 yr cycle huh !!  My cousin got pg naturally when her fsh had been measured at 40 then 2 years later she had twins !!!  My fsh levels are not in my notes at the GPs !  Mmmm - Cretins have lost them somewhere along the way I reckon.  All it says is that fsh was high ?? How high is anyones guess - It will be interesting to see what tests Bourn do on me and how my fsh is now !!  Its probably through the roof but at least I will know. Appt is a week today - I can't wait !!!

Emily - Hello friend ! How are you - our East Anglian thread is a bit quiet at the moment  ^eyes^ I miss everyone !! :(

#6 ·
HI JENNIFER31

I FOUND OUT THREE YEARS AGO HAD POF. INTERESTED TO HEAR THAT YOU HAVE PAINFUL PERIODS LATELY, SO HAVE I , I KNOW THIS DOESNT MEAN A THINK BUT YOU CAN ONLY HOPE.

I WOULD BE V.INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU THINK OF EGG DONATION.

I KEEP THINKING THAT THE BABY WONT BE MINE, IS THIS WIERD?

KAREN ^confused^

#7 ·
Hi Karen - Welcome to FF !  :)

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis  ^Cuddle^ - It is soooo heartbreaking to be told about POF / Early Menopause.

Unfortunately, I have had more tests recently and the painful periods etc don't mean I am ovulating again - I think I was clinging to false hope and have decided to leave any notions of having a baby, naturally or without donor eggs, behind.

I think egg donation is a wonderful thing - I have some fears about how the child may feel about it but I know I could love any child, especially when you have carried that baby for 9 months ! 
The more information I have about egg donation, the happier and more comfortable I feel about it.  I am just happy to have the option and cannot wait to get to the top of that waiting list !!!!

I don't think you are weird at all to think that the baby won't be yours but from what I have read, any fears like that are quickly forgotten once you hold your baby in your arms. 

Are you waiting for treatment Karen or what stage are you at ?  Sending you lots of babydust !!  ^fairydust^

Jennifer xx

#8 ·
Hi Jennifer

Just read your post.
At the moment Im waiting for results from a cervical biopsy, had three smear tests that came back "unreadable"!!!

Once I get the results I will talk to my GP about a refferal, had one earlier in the year but could not go through with it. We were both very nervous, and after reading so many heart breaking stories about peoples struggle to have babies we wanted to be v.v.v. positive that we were doing the right thing.

I know deep in my heart that having carrying the baby for so long I would love it so much.
When we've told people about egg donation we've had a mixed reaction, I think people think that its easy, you choose the egg and away you go. I dont think they think of the emotional side effects or the agony of the wait for the donor.

Sorry about rambling on, but its so nice to chat with someone who knows how it feels, Ifeel v. positive about the future.
Take care, speak to you soon. ^zombie^ [thought i'd add this for halloween ;D]

Karen j

#9 ·
Hi Again Karen

Sorry about your smear results - hope the next one is a good result for you

I have only told close friends and family about the egg donor thing and so far we have had very positive reactions - My Dad keeps asking loads of questions about it - I think men like the "science bit" !!!!!  I know what you mean about people thinking you choose an egg and away you go !  My Dad asked me when we were going to ask for tx !  I had to explain that you have to wait - you can't just place an order and have tx immediately, which suprised him !  If only !  I am moving up the waiting list in this country but we are considering going to spain for treatment as there is no wait for donors there.  I wasn't sure about it at first but have no worries anymore - Nice to have little tanned babies !  ;D  THe egg donor topic is a very personal one and we all deal with it in different ways.  I am lucky that for me, it is not a problem but i can understand that some people find it a bit odd.

I am always here if you want to chat - and you can always send me an instant message if you would like to. 

Take care
Jennifer x x x

#10 ·
Hi Jenny
My results were clear, which came as a BIG relief, if its not one thing its another. ;D
Never mind tanned babies, how about that fiery temper the spanish are supposed to have, the little one will keep you awake all night!!!!, but i bet you wouldnt mind.
I dont know anything about going abroad for egg donation. Is this expensive?

luv
Karen
xxxxx

#11 ·

my mam started in the Menopauses when she was 30 years old and my sister has just started in the Menopauses and she is 30 years old so i went to my doctors today and asked them if i would start in the Menopauses when i reach 30 years old and he said more than likley i will so i have 9 years time limit to have has many children has i want but the problem is me and my partner has been trying for a child for 4 years and got no where i really want to get help but I'm worried the doctor may say your too young go away is there any one else on here who is 21 years old and getting treatment? yes we started young has my partner is older than me

#12 ·
Hi

I was 21 when I was told I had gone through the early menopaus I am now 23 and we have already gone through one egg donor cycle with my sis as donor which we abandoned because of poor responce but we are going to start treatment again in March.

I think that it good that you have started to try and conceive early especially if there is the chance of an early menopause because at least now you have the opportunity to get pregnant with your own eggs.
I would go to your doctor and ask them to refer you and do some hormone tests to see if they have gone high, If your doc doesn't refer you go to another one untill someone does.
I was lucky because when I was diagnosed my sister instantly said she would be my egg donor and within the year we were starting treatment.

So dont take no prisoners and make sure they refer you especially because they know that the could be the chance of early menopause.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.