Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I saw my consultant last week who had received the results of DP's sperm test - hmmm, we were shocked to find out that DP has sperm count of 15,000 on first occasion and 9,500 on the second occasion. As he's already fathered 2 children previously (not with me), this was totally unexpected. The consultant still does not know what the cause of my inability to conceive, as my FSH level is 7 (pretty good I think), and I am apparently ovulating. I have chosen not to have a laparoscopy to check for scarring on my ovaries, following an operation to remove a cyst when I was 20 - my consultant seemed to think that this was not worth the risk.

My consultant then gave us the option of trying a bit longer but as I'm 38 and with the knowledge of DP's low sperm count/poor motility/the odd mis-shapen one (!), DP and I decided there and then to pursue the other option that was offered - IVF funded by the NHS.  This could begin as soon as 6 weeks' time!!

I have an information session tomorrow with the nurse, but I'm not exactly sure what will happen - will I be given the drugs / be shown how to inject myself etc in anticipation of the start date? Or will that come later? We were also given the consent forms to complete - DP has signed them but he can't attend the session tomorrow so I shall just take them with me. I guess that's going to be okay.

I now feel as if I've reached the point of no return, and I seem to have got there very quickly - well, quicker than expected. It's quite a scary feeling so I think I'll be using this forum for support more and more during my treatment.  I've been offered counselling up-front, but although I don't feel I need it right now, I reckon I'll take advantage of it further down the line.

I hope to find out dates tomorrow so I know exactly when all this starts - I don't think it's really sunk in yet.

Please wish me luck and success the first time round so I don't have to go through this again.  :) *crosses fingers*  :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Good luck!

We had an information session at the Rosie in Cambridge a few weeks ago - it was a group session and we had a powerpoint presentation showing what we could expect, what the injections looked like etc. We were given our forms to fill out, which we bring back to our first session with the consultant.

I would expect, as it is with a nurse you could have something similar - you probably won't be given the drugs (they have to be ordered and sent to you as they need to be kept refridgerated) but they might sort out them being sent to you in preparation for your cycle, explain what to do etc.

Hope that makes sense.

Pabboo ^hugme^

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Hi and good luck!

At our first info session, like pabboo said it was a group one
we were given talks by the ivf nurse, the embryologist, and the councellor
we were shown what the drugs look like, and how to administer them
altho was told we would be given a proper injection lesson once the cycle had started.
we handed our forms in on that day, and i did recieve all of my drugs, and i began that cycle 2 weeks later. x x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts