Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi girls,
we have our medicals tomorrow and i am feeling slightly freaked about them...it's just that i have built up such horrible associations of going to the doctors after all the IF stuff - and somehow going into a room with dh to have medical stuff done is causing my heart beat to quicken just thinking about it - and then i get worried my blood pressure will be too high -and on it goes!!!!! anyone else felt like this and how did you get past it? i know i'm being a bit silly and it will probably be fine but you know how it goes...
cam xx

·
Registered
437 Posts
Both my Husband and I were 'irrationally' nervous about our medicals.  We had nothing medically to be worried about and were both fit and well but we both were petrified about the medicals - I suppose because we knew it could rule us out of adopting and we were so desperate for this to work.

As it turned out - neither of us had anything to worry about at all and the medicals were over and done in an hour and we both felt much better having had a full medical and an 'all clear'. 

I don't think you and I are alone in feeling nervous about the medical - it is another 'hurdle' to jump towards becoming a parent and it is only natural (IMO) to be a bit nervous that all will go well.

Magenta xx

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hi Cam

I just wanted to wish you good luck with your medicals tomorrow, we just completed our prep course last friday so we are patiently waiting for our application pack etc now - should have this soon hopefuly, then we have to wait to be aallocated with a SW and start home study etc, I really can't wait to start the ball rolling now, we have waiting far too long to be a parent.

Good luck with everything Cam  ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^

Let me know how things go ok hun

crazybabe

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hi

I just wanted to say that when I went for my medical my blood pressure was high and my GP actually took it 3 times over the course of the medical and only recorded the "best" reading as she said she could see I was a bit anxious.
I would perhaps tell your Doc at the start that you have been worrying about it so that hopefully he or she can try and put you at ease.
I have to say my medical was very straight forward - I'm sure yours will be too. My GP was really suportive and very encouraging about our plans to adopt.
Good luck
Crusoe
x

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi
just to say thank you all for your kind words ladies. it was all (mostly!) fine - as predicted i got stressed and my blood pressure was too high, but luckily doc was really nice about it, and took it a few times, until it was acceptable! and he was very nice about our plans to adopt.
thanks again  :)
cam xx

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hi Cam

Glad the medical went ok - how much did your GP charge you for it, what was involved with the medical was it just height,weight blood pressure etc?

Take care, whats your next step hun.

crazybabe

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hi Cam

How are you - have you heard anything else from the SW yet, I hope you don't have to wait too long, if you don't mind me asking, how much did your GP charge you for your medicals

Good luck with everything

crazybabe

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi sorry for slow response, been offline for a week!
crazybabe, it was pretty straighforward really - urine sample, height, weight, blood pressure (oh dear..!) and lots of questions. I was thinking we were to get a blood test also, but i think he got the necessary results from previous results we had had done during IF tx. not sure about that..anyway, i'm not about to run back and ask!
our agency is paying for the medicals - the doc has to fill in a form to re-claim the money as it was done out of hours. i think some do this and some don't.
anyway, hoping it's all going to be ok. onto our 3rd home visit next week.
cam x

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hi Cam

Thanks for the reply, I think we have to pay for our medicals not the agency unfortunatley, we have sent back our formal application form and consent forms etc, just have to wait patiently now to hear from agency to let us know when we have been allocated a SW ready to start home study, did you wait long to get allocated a SW once you sent your form back to agency, how do the plan the home study, do they so visits once every week or fortnightly.  I can't wait to start home study as it will be another

Good luck with everything

crazybabe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts