Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I was just wondering............... what is everyones opinion on mediacted as opposed to natural FET??? I am trying to decided what we will go for assuming one or two of my blastocycts defrost. I am taking NOTHING for grantid.
I am being encouraged to go for a natural cycle but have heard medicated can sometimes be more succesfull. If I was to go for medicated what drugs are involved and what are the costs???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Love Lou xxxx

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
hi lou
i am know doing fet blast hopefully i am on suprefact nasal spray and progynova tablets and gestone injections i am hopeing to transfer 14th october the doctor sayed we will wait and see how embros do but i am praying for blast this time as i have never done blast if not we will transfer 3 and blast 2 will keep you posted wishing you all the luck in the world
love lilly xxxx

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi Lou

I have done medicated FET both times, wasn't given the option to do natural, probably because I have a mega irregular cycle.

I have heard medicated is preferred by a lot of clinics because of the timing issues of natural - they can "plan" you in more easily with a medicated.

However, as far as actual success rates go, I don't know - wouldn't have thought there was much in it? Can they give you stats for both?

If you decide to go for medicated, the cost we pay at Bourn is around £600 for the cycle, plus drugs, these being suprecur or synarel to downreg (exactly the same as a fresh cycle) and then hrt tablets for 2 weeks to thicken the womb lining, plus pessaries from ET. HRT tablets are not that expensive.

Tablets & pessaries have to be continued up to 13 weeks of pregnancy WHEN you get that ^reiki^.

What success rates have you been give for transfer of blasts?

I was given % live birth rate of FET with 2 day embies for age 30-35 as 20%, this rises to 40% if the embies are at blast stage.

Hence the reason we went for blasts with our last FET.

Good luck Lou, when are you having your lap?

Love Vicky xxx

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Vicky and everyone else

Vicky my lap is in just over a weeks time.

The main worry is that cause mine are already blasts they are more than difficult to defrsot at that stage so not sure if there will be anything to transfer or not.

Thanks again everyone

Love Lou xxx

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi everyone,
we've got an appointment next Tuesday to discuss using some of our Frosties from ICSI cycle in February.
I assume i will be medicated as my cycles are non-existent (apart from when i've got a special event planned and then 'hey presto' !!!) Being ignorant, what and when is blast done - would i have the option at this stage to request this prior to FET ?
Woppa, fantastic news - dh and i are so pleased for you and Dougie.
Good luck to everyone else
love Becky xxx

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
hi bex
i just done a fet blast and i am on pg thank god just to give you some hope yes you can ask your clinic to do blast i did and they agreed wishing you all the best with your cycle keep me posted
love lilly xxx

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi Bex

I think your choice depends largely on the number of embies you have frozen, and how much "risk" you want to take.

On our first FET last year we defrosted 4 of our 2-day embies (we had 14 in the freezer). 2 survived the thaw (thaw rates tend to be about 50% - better if you are lucky).

Although we got ++ result I had an early m/c. Only 1 embie had implanted.

For our last cycle our clinic suggested we defrost our remaining 10 embies and take then from 2-day to 5-day in the lab.

The chances of achieving not only a ++ result, but in also achieving a live birth, were explained to us as being higher with blastocysts, because the procedure tends to "select" only the stronger embies or those less likely to have chromosomal defects. This is a "natural" selection process.

On the other hand we risked losing all of our embies and having none to transplant. We also had to accept we would naturally lose at least some.

In fact, our clinic would not have allowed us to go to blast with less than 8 x 2-day embies.

In the event, of the 10, we got 6 that defrosted OK, and of that 6, only 3 made it to blast.

2 were transferred and 1 implanted!

I guess you need to discuss with your clinic!

Wishing you every success with your cycle, there are quite a few of us got + with FET during the last few months, so it does work!

Love Vicky xxx

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi everyone

I have just had FET assisted with drugs and found it fine it cost us £550.

I had three embryos frozen that were already at the blast stage, of the three two made it and were implated on the 11th August. I have my fingers crossed as it is so nice to hear that it does work.

Lorns

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hullo Lou
i did a medicated FET in Aug - unsuccessful sadly, but all so much easier to bear (both the actual TX but alos the disappointment after as felt so much less interfered with).

My consultant is suggesting a medicated FET next as he hopes this may improve the uterine lining (I have fibroids so my lining is inflamed). If this is an issue for you you might want to ask your cons about it...

Sending you buckets of positive wishes whichever way you go
Fluffyx

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
hi everyone.  I am about to go back for my first FET attempt in this year.  The ones I did before where in 2001 and were never successful. 

My main question is what day would be optimal for transfer?

I am on bcp and right now must decide to continue a few more days or not.  as scan would have been friday, then have to wait for monday.  I would then arrive to Chania clinic on day 11.  I know my previous ET was day 22 but they let the embryos go nearly to day 5 so when they thaw them I would think they need to go in pronto same day.  Also my lining was previously 14 on a day 14 check.  I have never had a problem building the lining.
If you normally ovulate day 14 ish , does it then take about 5 days for a natural embryo to implant so I should be looking at about Day 19 optimum or earlier when the lining is ready?
I only have a week  abroad this time so trying to plan it correctly.
I have read recently where someone was arriving for her ET but they told her she was alreadypast her optimum lining and had to cancel.. I wondered if anyone had this happen before and knows what would determine that?  Evidently it was more then just thick lining ( which I have heard is not really a problem for BFP)
thanks
b123

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Lou

I am currently on medicated FET and am up for transfer a week
from today - lost my first baby in June at 12 weeks.  I was advised
by my clinic to go with medicated as if you go with natural cycle
and you fall ready for transfer at weekend you have to wait a
further month and then same could happen again - clinic advised
that they can control it better with medication and not so
emotional as with natural you can keep getting yourself prepared
each month and then have to wait a further month.  Doing ok on
drugs so far - good luck with which way you decide.

Sue

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Just to update from my last post here:  When I arrived to the clinic and had scan ( day 14) they said I was ready and did FET that afternoon!  I thought that would be too early as teh embies where nealry 5 days old.  But I had 14mm lining and had not done a day 8 scan so no way to know how long it was that think... DR said I had the three lines and everything perfect.  So I guess that if it is a medicated cycle they do not worry about timing it to your normal cycle?????
Will know outcome Monday, if it is + or neg.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi,

Due to start med cycle in Jan (god is it a long one, just found out!) also just spoke to a friend of mine who had twins last year (ivf) knows five ladys (inc me ) who had failed ivf/icsi cycles in sept/oct , I'm feeling so negative, please has anyone got some posititve vibes!
Sorry to sound so negative, I know someone must be geting some good vibes (keep seeing loads of magpies) as you can see I've lost the plot! (or have I?)

Love Emilyx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, just to add my two penneth worth...I've had one of each and was successful with the medicated cycle (although I m/c at 6weeks). I recently had my 2nd unmedicated cycle cancelled due to low progesterone and have just started another medicated one. The clinic says they have similiar success rates for both but they will always start with unmedicated attempt first. If your hormone levels are good they'll continue with a transfer. I personally feel I need all the help I can get to improve my chances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Lou,

I am just starting a medicated FET and to be honest, I was not even offered the choice of a natural FET.  I wish I had done a bit more research now.  I start my Buselin injections on 24th and continue these for the next month.  I also start taking HRT tablets before transfer to get more oestrogen into my body to create a thicker womb.  This is my first FET, so forgive me if I am vague about the process as it is very new to me.

Suzanne

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi im new to here.  i too am starting my first fet so am a bit vague too.  i start down regging on the 14th march.  am excited but will probably get nervous nearer the time.

paula x

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi all,

It's been a long time since being on FF.  Just started medicated FET cycle and started DR on 21st Feb with Synarel.  Feel really weird today though, after waking up with very restless legs lasat night and feel sicky today. I'm wondering if it is a side effect of the Synarel.  Don't remember this in last (ICSI) cycle, and was sniffing higher dose then.  Has anyone else experienced this?

If all goes well we're looking at ET during w/c 9th April.  Trying not to count our chickens.

Don't really understand the timing of the embryos and their stages, so any enlightenment would be appreciated!! 

Suz x

·
Registered
206 Posts
My natural FET, was cancelled today cos no decent sized follicle-after 4 scans, so I will be having a medical one next month.
I have just found out that I will have to pay extra for drugs, despite FET costing £890 plus the HEA fee of £104.50.

That seems ridiculous to me, surely with this amount, it should include drugs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi everyone

New to this site starting down reg on 29th Jan for my first FET just wondering if anyone can tell how long the whole process takes from down reg until egg transfer.  Never got there when doing first icis treatment cycle because of OHSS so very frustrated waiting

Gemma

·
Registered
145 Posts
hi i have had medicated FET, previous attempts were fresh cycles and put back 2-3 days old, this time went back for the frozen embies and last 2 put in given 30% chance, less than frozen that was 60%, anyway one has stuck, and i also lost one at 5.5 weeks, by weekend will be 12 weeks.

Doctor advised Medicated due to the support of the womb etc...so who knows?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts