Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice please! 

My DP & I had our ICSI planning appt today and were told that we had 2 stims to choose from.. one is derived naturally (Menopur) and you have to mix it up yourself before injecting and the other is synthetic - Gonal F.. our nurse said there wasn't really much difference in success rates, cost, side effects.. The Menopur seems more complicated as you have to mix it up yourself whereas Gonal F is already done for you....

Was hoping someone could give some advice regarding which is the best or is it really that there isn't a difference and it's just down to preference of natural vs synthetic?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Mary

·
Registered
408 Posts
hi mary,

i don't know much about gonal f.  a friend had it and i think it comes in an epi-pen style syringe?  she said that the epi-pen was actually much sorer than the traditional syringe injections she had to do - i think the needle is perhaps thicker?

personally, i had menopur (wasn't given a choice) and found it really easy after the first one.  i was terrified about having to mix it up myself but i think concentrating on that took my mind off the actual injection!  i also had a pre-filled syringe (orgalutran) to do daily and i found that one more uncomfortable.

hope you manage to make a decision!

wishing x

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Wishing

Thanks for your advice!  I think I'll go for the Menopur as I think that although I am really nervous about mixing it up myself, it will give me something to focus on rather than the pain! 

Good luck with your June FET.. let me know how you get on.

Mary X

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi Mary
I've used Gonal-F on 2 cycles and Menopur on my current cycle - I was very anxious about the change but it really has been so easy I don't know what I was worried about! And Wishing is spot on about the Orgalutron, ouch that's a nippy one!
Best of luck...xxx

·
Registered
408 Posts
hmmm, orgalutran, sore little b*@!^r that one!  :mad: :mad: :mad:

good decision mary!  :)

w x

G

·
Hi Mary...sorry to get all serious!!

It does make me mad when clinics say things like this...they are different drugs entirely and based on your history they should be advising you!!!! Menopur is FSH + LH so if your history (bloods) say you may benefit from the mix then they should know this. Gonal F is just FSH I believe....the delicate balance of hormones during stims can make all the difference so please ask them what they recommend. At the end of the day whilst ease is a factor, it should really come to what is best for you - hope you get my drift?!!

^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ for you.....and
:mad: :mad: :mad: for the clinic!

xxx

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Have to agree with Lukey really, the clinic should be advising you not the other way around. They are different and do elicit different responses. All that said if this is your first cycle it can be a bit hard to say how you would react to either.
I've done both and got a much great quantity of eggs on Gonal F but that's not necessarily a good thing as I nearly went into OHSS and had to cancel. And yes, I also did orgalutran and that one smarts (though I still say the trigger jab is the worst!)

Good luck to you!
Lizi.x

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Just my 2pence worth.....

I agree with many of the above.
I can't believe they are giving you a choice, and leaving it to you to decide based on the 'type of injection' etc, instead of recommending to you based on type of drug and suitability to your history etc!

I have had 3x ICSI's and used both Menopur and Gonal F. They are both fine to administer, and you soon get used to them. I got DH to mix the Menopur for me as he is far more patient and it gave him some 'involvement' too  :)
Side effects were minimal with both and no different I found.

The main point as Lukey has said, they ARE different drugs, made up of different ingredients and you are paying enough for the clinic to ADVISE you with their experience, not leave you to make a decision based on size of needles etc!  ^bigbad^

I'll get off my soap box now  :)

Lots and lots of luck though hun, whatever the decision with the stims x

Luv Angie x 

1 - 8 of 8 Posts