Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had two BFN and have now uesed up all my NHS attempts  :'(

Dh and I have decided to change clinics and are now attending a private clinic.

On my first nhs icsi attempt i was on 225iu gonalf  4 eggs collected
on 2nd nhs icisi attempt I was on 375iu gonalf 14 eggs collected

The new clinic does not use gonalf they use menopur which I know nothing about. I have been told that when I start I will be on 300iu of menour.
My question is that is this drug slightly stronger than gonalf? I am really concerned that they seem to be reducing the dose and worry that I will not respond as well as I did on the gonalf. especially since i responded so badly on 1st attempt to the lower dose. So do people tend to need less of the menopur?

I also have a huge fear of needles and just managed to cope witht he gonalf pen. cn anyone tell me a little more about menopur?
Any information will be helpful as I am really worried about the mixing ect.

Thanks for any advice. xxx

·
Registered
817 Posts
Hello,

I had Menopur by choice on my last attempt because I had read positive stories about it producing more viable pregnancies (though this may just be the drug company's own marketing!) It contains both FSH and LH so the hormones in it are slightly different to Gonal F. My clinic tend to prefer to use it for women over 35 and those with endo because of the additional LH in it. It's not quite so easy to vary the dose, which is why my clinic tends to prefer Puregon or Gonal F, as because of the way it is supplied it has to be increased in 75iu measures, which is much less sensitive than the pens.

It's given to you as vials of powder, to which you add some solvent to make a solution, and then you draw it up into the syringe for injecting. Depending on your dose you will mix one solvent to one or more vials of powder, each time drawing up the resulting solution and injecting it into the vials of powder. You should be shown how to do this and while it's a bit fiddly at first, even I got the hang of it and I'm quite a clutz  ^idiot^

I personally preferred it as we got fewer but better quality embryos, though that could just be chance or because of other things we tried like supplements. Clearly our outcome has biased my view though  ::) Good luck and I hope this is the one for you ^fingerscrossed^  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Best wishes,
Eclaire  ^daisy^

·
Registered
817 Posts
Im the opposite, funnily enough.

I did 6 times better on Gonal f!! -  that was double the eggs and 1/3 of the dosage.

your gonal f result was good so why not ask to stick with it. especially with the needle issue. the menopur is certainly not as easy and there is a lot of fiddling around with silly little bottles. no need for extra stress like that frankly!

good luck xx

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks ladies.
Id like to stay on gonalf as my esuts were good, but clinic doesn't use it at all. They say that menopur gives better quality eggs.
I am worried about the needle issue though, but don't think I will have a choice but to get on with it!

I am guessing from your post eclaire that I shouldn't worry too much about the menopur dose being slightly less as it is perhaps a different strength.

Thanks you for your help. I don't cope well with the unknown. Like to know whats going on.
Thanks again. xx

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
choc button you can buy autoinjectors - pharmasure sent me one with with the menopur vials.  You darw ip up in the syringes/needles and then load in the one ml syringe and then it is like the pens you dial up the amount and click the end and it injects.

Good luck
L x

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh thats great. I would find that so much easier. Does any syringe fit and would my clinic be able to order me on with my drugs?
Thanks jj1
xx

·
Registered
221 Posts
im on this and have just started so cant really help with how many eggs you get,but the needles are ok,saying that because im also injecting another drug ,i asked my hosp if i could have an epipen,and they were fine about it,i told them i was scared of needles which i thought i would be,its worth u asking if your clinic can supply you with an epipen ,they should do ...
sue

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

I had Menopur on my last treatment.  I found it easy to inject there was just a bit of mixing the drugs before injecting.

If you are really concerned and want to stay with Gonal F can you speak to your clinic ???  They would be starting you on a dose that they think and then they might need to increase it later.

All the best

x x  x

·
Premium Member
6,864 Posts
Hi

sorry to jump in, but is there any research showing the difference in the quality of eggs produced with GonalF or Puregon as opposed to Menopur? I have searched the net but, frustratingly, the articles are either old (2004 and earlier), for medical subscribers only, or seem to concentrate more on how much cheaper it is to use Gonal or Puregon (cos you need less of it and for a shorter time or somthing like that) than whether it is actually beneficial for producing better quality eggs.

If anyone can give any pointers it'd be much appreciated

Ta!

x

·
Registered
817 Posts
I was told by Lister cons that menopur can produce fewer miscarriages, if someone is likely to miscarry. take out of that what you will - all i know is that i produced 7 eggs on 8 * 375 menopur, 5 on 9*450 menopur and amazingly, 16  on gonal f, 900 IN TOTAL ie only 3 shots of 300!!!

on the other hand, some girls write that Gf is hideous and they hate it

who knows?

·
Premium Member
6,864 Posts
Hi Anna

can I ask how the fertilisation rates compared between the gonal and the menopur cycles?
Ta
x

·
Registered
817 Posts
Hi Nix,

I'd heard the same as Anna about reduced rates of miscarriage and better results for ongoing pregnancy from Menopur, which is why I chose it. I got a similar number of eggs from both Puregon (similar to Gonal F) and Menopur, though was on a higher dose of Menopur. However although we got fewer embryos, they progressed better after treatment with Menopur. There's nothing to say it was better drug for me, I was just happier (for obvious reasons) with the outcome  :)

Good luck to all still going through treatment  ^goodluck^

Best wishes,
Elaine  ^daisy^

·
Premium Member
6,864 Posts
Thanks Elaine and congrats on your pregnancy!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks Nix  :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
well - we are unexpl and got 100% fert and 40% blasts with menopur.

becuase we are unexpl we have decided to drop ivf for a while and try naturally with injecatbles.
that was the gonal f first try of  the new policy as it were. it produced about 14 good eggs and 18 follicles on a tiny dosage. we were then advised by the lister either to do ivf or to drop trying for that cycle owing to the number of eggs.  so, in aswer to your query about how many fert with gonal f, i don't know i'm afraid as we haven't tried that route.

good luck xx

·
Premium Member
6,864 Posts
Thanks Anna

CB - how are you getting on with the jabbing?  It is a pain having to mix the stuff but you can have up to 3 lots of solvent to 1 lot of water which I find makes it much easier.

Hope you're ok hon

xxx

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Hello there

Just to say that I used Menopur for my iui's.
I was a nervous wreck about the injection but, honest, the needle is just so titchy I didn't even feel it go in! In fact, I was beginning to wonder if I had something wrong with the nerve endings in my stomach  ;D. Occasionally I felt the pressure when I was pushing the menopur in but I just did it very slowly and that stopped.

Good luck

Emma xx

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had problems with the hcg jab. I found it difficult to get the needle into the skin and had to push really hard. With the gonalf it was easier. Is it because of the sharpness of the needle (daft question I know). It is terrifying me that the menopur needles wont go in easily.

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Mm - no idea. Mine went in like butter - honest  :) :)

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
I found the Menopur injections went in easy too.

I know this might be a daft question but you are changing the needle and not using the same needle that you are mixing the solution with, as I know they are alot thicker and could be a problem.

x x x

1 - 20 of 22 Posts