Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have pcos but sugar level is ok as far as i can tell, i have heard so much about metaformin and just wondered if it was sometihing i could ask to try before ivf as i ahve never been offered it .

can you only take it for a certain reason ?? al so i have heard it can half your chance of misscarrage is this true???

any advise on this drug will be helpfull as iam going to see consultant in 6w amd want to lay out my options
thanks for your help sam xxxx

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi sunny,

I also had pcos but without any of the symptons and my blood sugar was fine!
On my first ivf i produced 23 follicles, which resulted in 18 eggs, 11 fertilized but only 5 lasted and i got a BFN. I felt very uncomfortable, bloated etc from few days before ec throughout the 2ww.

This time my clinic put me on metformin as they said it increases the quality of eggs, decreases the quantity and help prevents miscarriage.

I got 8 eggs this time, 6 fertilized and 5 were really good, two little actually made it blastocyst. I have felt only a tiny bit bloated and definity feel far better.

talk to your consultant but he may want to do your first cycle without metformin.

Good luck

Love Emmak

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi Emma,

I had fairly symptomless pcos like sunny.  I was given metformin to improve egg quality.  I didn't know that it reduced number of eggs but it makes sense as before that I always produced lots of eggs doing IUI and on my IVF cycle I didn't produce so many to start with and they upped the stimms.  I got 15 eggs, 8 fertilised and I am expecting twins in March. 

Metformin is not nice to take - the side effects include diahorrea, nausea, bloating and generally feeling rough.  If you persevere with it, it does get much better.

I don't know anything about it reducing risk of miscarriage.

Hope this helps and all the best for your treatment,

Fitouxx

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Sunny
I have PCOS too, and have been taking metformin for sometime. I've recently started Clomid too.

My Consultant plans to keep me on metformin if I do fall pregnant, as there is quite a lot of evidence that it reduces the risk of miscarriage.  I had researched this before I saw the consultant and was prepared to argue for having metformin during first trimester, but the consultant suggested this without me having to ask. If you want to check this out you can use the Medline site and key words 'Metformin' and 'miscarriage'.  I think I've been really lucky as metformin isn't actually licenced for use for PCOS, it's a diabetes drug, and many consultants won't even prescribe it for PCOS at all, let alone for pregnant women with PCOS.

Best of luck !
Helen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.