Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18, I am now 33. My husband and myself tried for 12 years to have a baby and I was never offered any treatments, except for the pill to help regulate periods, I tried this for a while, but didn't want to for too long as obviously I wouldn't fall pregnant. My symptoms were and are severe, Lots of excess body hair, hair loss, weight gain aand large spots on body/face.

Anyway, I had a baby girl in April of this year by Emergency C Section. And this was with no fertility treatment! I really do think i Fell for her because I ate lots of iron rich foods before conception.

Sadly with PCOS the symptoms don't disappear after having a baby and I am at a loss as what to do next! I am really interested in Metformin, but do you think my GP/Gyno would prescribe this solely to help me with my symptoms? I.E, I want to lose weight and reduce spots/facial hair?

It's really getting me down and depressed because I have been on numerous healthy eating plans and joined a gym for 6 months and I only lost 2lbs in all that time!

Whats your advice on metformin? Would this help me and is it available to me even though I'm not trying to concieve?

I have club feet and the weight really doesn't help the problem

Hope you can help
Thanks
Mary

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
hi, i too have pcos. as far as the metformin goes i think it depends on ur cons. mine wont prescribe it until i lose some weight myself first, and also until hes assured that i eat 3 regular meals a day, cos i tend not too. metformin needs to be taken with food to prevent stomach probs. however i have heard of other people being prescribed it straight away by there cons. i think it depends on lots of factors. good luck with it, and congratulations on ur little one, have a great xmas.

wendy

G

·
Hi Mary

I also have pcos and was perscribed metformin as soon as the consultant diagnosed it (after internal scan and blood results were back).  I take 3 500mg tablets a day and I have to say that they are working very well for me.  I have had a total weight loss so far of about 2 stone 6lb (have not weighted myself in the last 2 months, but all me cloths are getting to big for me  :))and my facial hair does not appear to be growing back quiet as quick.  I know that it does not work the same for everyone and I have been very lucky.  All my consultant asked before he up me on the meformin was that I take up a little more exercise.  But just like Wendy said they do have to be taken with food as they can cause chronic stomach trouble (trust me I know  :eek:)  As Wendy said all Dr and cons are very different in there approach to treating pcos.  But I would like to wish you all the best

from Charlotte ^pompom^ ^fairydust^

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Thankyou to you both, it sounds quite hit and miss then? but I have an appointment on Tuesday with the Doc so hopefully I'll know from there !!

Best wishes to you both  :)

thanks

Mary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts