Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Girls  ^help me^

I know there have been posts about this so sorry if I am asking the same questions again but I would like your advice on alcohol and met.  I have a few social occasions coming up where people will think it strange of me to not drink (much).  I am ok on a couple of glasses of wine with the met but do you think I should avoid taking it if I know I am likely to have a few more drinks? ^drinks^  What do you girls do and how long should I avoid it for?  I was thinking of dropping the evening meal one and the morning after but will this be enough to stop me ending up with my head down the toilet ^ohmy^  (or worse) at the end of the night?  ^head spin^

I know you girls are the experts so give me all your knowledge!  ^oldtimer^  ;D

Fluffs xxx 

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi fluffs!

i do drink from time to time :)

what i always do now is not take my met in the eve like i usually do if i know im going out i take my last one at lunch that day. I then go out and have a couple of drinks ^drink^ :) and i then take my next one at lunch the next day! and restart my usual routine

sorry if people think i shouldnt be drinking occasionally but i do, if i gave it up completely then i feel that it is another thing in my life i am being told what i can and cant do, if that makes any  sense?

hope this helps a bit

suzie xx

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a little confused. I have been looking around the topics and seeing that people stop their metformin to drink and go on holiday etc.....

I was never advised not to drink on it and ok I don't drink very often (having a driving licence reduces the opportunities) but I have always just carried on as normal and I have been on met since 2002.

Are there side affects or something?

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Monkeymocker

I don't think there are side effects as such.  I have found that I feel a little more affected by the alcohol particularly if I am tired etc but it has been ok.  I usually end up drinking with a meal so it is ok and I make sure I have plently of water too.  I only asked the question because I had heard others mention about not drinking etc and I was a little concerned but I think the rule is just to take it slowly.  I think some of the concerns are more for diabetics (after all it is a diabetes drug) as alcohol lowers blood sugar so if they take glucose lowering drugs and drink and then fall asleep if could lead to a hypo but probaly nothing to worry about if you don't have diabetes as our bodies have some control over glucose levels etc.

This ttc lark is stressful and slow enough without giving up all together.  Everything in moderation that's what I say!  ;D

Fluffs xxx 

·
Registered
24 Posts
One of the  main issues to be aware of when taking met and drinking is that Met can cause lactic acidosis. This is usually caused if you are dehyrated for any reason and still take met. Sometimes this can have happen if you have been ill, which has caused de-hydration  or drinking alcohol (causing you to be de-hydrated). Obviously this isn't a common thing to happen beacuse when it does you can be very ill indeed, but it is important to be aware that this isn't really an issue relating to blood sugar and met, really it is relating to metabolic function and met.

Met is quite a strong drug as it has great effects on insulin production and metabolism, therefore your liver is dealing with this constantly, if you are drinking regularly with met your liver is under greater strain all the time.
The guidelines are that you drink only small amounts with met (maybe 1 or 2 glasses a week) to help care for your liver and give met the chance to sort out your metabolism like it is supposed to. If you do drink on met remember to drink plenty of water before you go to bed to aviod de-hydration.

Some of the ladies here do reduce the risk of problems of de-hydration or strain on their liver by cutting out their met when they drink (something which i must also confess to doing), however on this point it is important to point out that you are interrupting your treatment and sending your metabolism haywire for a few days, something that no-one knows the overall effects of.

I cannot advise you what is the best thing to do, weather it is not drink, drink without a couple of doses of met or drink with met...it's up to you, but recently i had my liver function checked and the particular enzyme that was raised was linked to metabolic stress, they said and that met could of been a contributing factor along with me drinking a couple of times a week, therefore i have now stopped drinking altogether to see if this improves things...At the moment i need the met to help me more than i need a night out on alcohol.

Many ladies with PCOS also have high cholesterol, which can also be linked to liver strain and metabolic factors, something else that met and alcohol can hinder.

Hope this info helps

Clara x

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow Clara!!

How do you know all this stuff?  I gave up drinking when I started the Met but with Christmas coming up I was wondering what to do.  Your post has made me realise that like you, I need the Met to help me more than I need to drink!  I only end up with a hangover for the whole of the next day anyway! 

Thanks
Sue :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I only know the answer to these things by reading and posting like the rest of you for the last few years i have had PCOS. I first went to soulcysters.com It is one of the best rescources out there for PCOS, they have loads of knowledageble ladies, as i am sure has this website but it is jus the first place i found and has taught me loads of stuff. The message boards are massive with all thinks related to pcos and everyone is friendly. It is most american ladies but most of the stuff they discuss is relevant here and they also have a UK thread. If you need any more info please pop over and have a look, i haven't been for a couple of weeks myself but if you need an answer to anything PCOS related i promise you it will be there!

Good luck
Clara xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.