Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Girls,

Was just wondering about girls experiences on Metformin as Im due to start taking it on its own after 12 months of Clomid..

Are there any success stories..?

Ive had tough times on clomid 100mg with hot flushes , mood swings and cramps...

What are the side effects of Metformin???? any tips or advice would be useful ....

Thanx

Love Ju x x

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Hi Ju,

I just thought Id give you a little summary of my side effects.  Basically Met may make you feel sick and get met bum.  The secret to avoid this is to eat whilst eating breakfast, lunch or dinner - first eat some food (halfway) and then take your pill and then finnish off your dinner.  Don't eat too little as it can make you get ill as basically it gets your blood sugar to  go low.  The signs that your blood sugar is low will be nausia, headache.  If you feel like this make sure you eat something like a banana or food as if you leave it it mighte get wosre.  I got really sick and had stomach acid and reflux because of this - and I put the dose down to 2 pills a day for 9 days as I could not take it anymore.  But - it will be tough but pls dont give up as I think its working for me.  It has regulated my cycles and I have a nice juicy follie this cycle together with the clomid.  So its definitely worth a try.

Take care and PM me if you have any questions as I may not see your new message on here.

Luv

Tweets xxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi Ju,
I was on metformin but unfortunately it didn't like me! I had quite bad stomach problems on it. Hope it works out for you as I have heard it is really good for some people. Good luck  :)

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
hi ya

im too a metformin girlie!!!

i have to say for me i was told to take 1x 500mg for one week then 2 for second and 3 for thrid and keep on 3x 500mg-by doing this i didnt get to badder time with side affect- for me i lost over 2stone whilst taking it in the first 3 months! (i have bad pcos with extra S!!!)

i have not yet been lucky to fall preg but i know of another user of met who got preg on first month and now  has a baby girl who is 4 month old!

good luck

Mez
xxxx

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
hi

It didn't help me get pregnant as I later found out I had blocked tubes and IVF would be the only thing to help BUT it did get rid of all my pcos symptoms, I didn't get an upset stomach and I was on it for about 4 years.  My cysts were much better according to ultrasounds and my cycles were regulated and I ovulated.  It helped break that vicous PCOS cycle of putting weight on. 

I know it doesn't suit everyone but for me met was a godsend despite the fact it didn't help with my fertility problems. 

Good luck,

Elvie

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Hi,

I have been on metformin for just over 4 years and although the drs say it has controlled my hormone levels (PCOS) I do not feel that it has done a thing. I never ovulate, didn't lose any weight and from time to time get upset, cramping stomach aches which is due to the metformin............ I would love to stop taking it but they insist I stay on it.........

But it is very individual,

Tikki.xx

·
Registered
88 Posts
:) hi there i have been on metformin now since oct last year and at the start i found it difficult increasing the tablets to get to the level where i am today i am currently on 3x 850 a day. The metformin gave me terrible met bum and horrendous tummy aches and pains but i stayed at a certain tab i.e one or two until i felt i could control the met bum then i increased it again i am due to re-start taking clomid next month so not sure if i will get any side effects from that but after being on the met tabs now since last year i find that i have no problem and very slight met bum from time to time it helps to eat as much fresh veg and salad as possible i find this helps me,i have lost weight on the met tabs and have found that i feel a lot better for being on them hope this info is of some use and i hope it all goes well with ur tabs take care hope to speak soon.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi,  I was on metformin for just over 2 years.  I was to build my tablets up to 4x500mg a day.  I built that up within a week because I had no side effects.  I also didn't reap any benefit from them so I just think for some reason they didn't work for me.  Seems weird that I felt no difference whatsoever, when other people suffered a lot of side-effects.  Maybe it did help with my BFP for my ICSI though, I guess I will never know.  I am glad I took the metformin though, because they might have stopped my symptoms getting any worse. 
I was told by my consultant that the reason you have to eat when taking each tablet is that it lowers your blood sugar, which if not counteracted (by food) could be dangerous.  Up until that point I hadn't always ate with them, especially the last one at night.  But knowing all the facts after that, I made sure I ate.
Good luck with your tx and I hope the metformin agrees with you.
Zoe x

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi ju,

I have been on metformin for almost three months now.
When I started them I was quite bad with met bum,tummy problems and sickness.
Despite this I went up through the doses. (from 1x500mg to 3x500mg per day,taking a week between each increase)
At 3x500mg I found that it had taken away all of the symptoms(excess hair, spots and so on) but I had no weight loss despite a good diet and exercise so I returned to doc who put me straight up to 3x850mg per day. This made me feel so ill for about a week and a half but finally went away.
I am now loosing weight, have no visual symptoms of pcos and seem to have had signs of ov for the past three months which i never had before taking the met. Have not had treatment in this time though so don't know for sure if it would have helped me get pg.(dh has sperm probs so cant do it alone)
All in all I would say go for it, try and ride out the side effects for a few months (which can seem like hell) and then step back and look at whether it works for you.
Good luck ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.