Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Am just wondering what effect does Metformin have on PCOS? Does it increase chances of PG? Doesnt it affect your sugar levels?
Also went to see gynae doc last week and he said that with PCOS you have higher rate of miscarriages - which could explain why i have lost 2 - how does this happen and what is the treatment for that?

I know its loads of questions in one but my mind has decided to work overtime :)

Thanks Ruth and all my fertility friends.

Kelly x

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
^feedback^ ^feedback^

Thanks.

Just scared post is gonna get pushed to bottom of page and not read  ???

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^feedback^ ^feedback^ ^feedback^ ^feedback^

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Spooner, can I suggest you look at the diagnosis thread as there is a whole section on PCOS and also metformin and it´s use. The girls there are so much more knowledgable than me on this one as they have done lots of research on it and it´s use!!

Ruth

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Dear Kelly,
After discussions with 3 consultants, it is still not known how metformin does it's job, apart from its insulin sensitising properties and the knock on improved hormonal effects (as insulin is also a hormone). It won't make your sugars low, it just helps the insulin we produce work better and control our blood sugars.

Yes, we have an increased risk of miscarriage, possibly due to high LH hormone levels as well as our susceptibility to producing poor quality eggs.

I had 3 day 2 LH levels done last year with results of 18, 16 and 23 (Ideally needs to be at least less than 10 and better still less than the FSH level). However, after losing 2 stone in weight and metformin for 6 months my day 2 LH was 6 last month. Obviously puts me at better chance of conceiving and not miscarrying. Also, high LH levels increases the risk of OHSS, another good reason to get it down. Do you know your levels?

Lots of love, Rowena.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.