Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
^help^
I have been diagnosed with PCOS for a while, and my resent visits with the Dr has only advised weight loss to help symptoms, and once I have lost weight to go back for medication for TTC.
I was prescribed the pill to help with the symptom's, but developed DVT  :(
(as if I haven't got enough wrong with me already  ;) )

Since being on this site everyone mentions they have been prescribed Metformin.

What is it used for? How does it help? 
(before I go balistic at Dr, demanding drugs  ;D )

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
hey shell

Metformin is a diabetic drug which some gp's/clinics use to help aid weight loss for those wioth pcos.

personally i was out on it by my consultant in feb and lost over 2st in weight without having to try which was nice. this has helped my cycles- and we are now able to have iui as orig i was about 5st overweight which sounds alot but im tall so i carry it well!  ;D

i hope this is of some help to you

good luck

Mez
xx

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanking You Mez  Xx

I think I will go and get me some now   ;D

I have weight to loose and I don't eat much in the 1st place, honest  :eek:

And I am quite tall as well... When people ask me what size clothes I wear, they are really shocked (I'm quite big chested as well, so you could say it is all in propotion hehe)..
We must really hide our weight well   ;D ;D

·
Registered
119 Posts
i'm on metformin and have been for nearly a week now, and i dont know if its the tablets or owt but i just dont feel like eating, also have had a very dodgy tummy since starting but that seems to be settling down now

G

·
Hi ladies

I am also on metformin and have been on it since sept 10th 04.  I also had the same trouble as piercingqueen, with the fact that for about the first 3 weeks i did not feel like eating much.  But I have to say that soon stopped as did the dodgy tummy  :eek:.

I have lost almost 3 stone and I did not have to do much to help loses it once the metformin kicked in.  but best off all it has really helped with the moods that i was having with the pcos.

I do hope that ur Dr will give them to you, i think they may now be helping regulate my AF  ;D :)

Love Charlotte ^reiki^ ^fairydust^

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi all,

Shellebell - I had the shock of my life during our first consultation for Male Factor to discover that I had PCO..apparently it is not PCOS as I have no symptons. I was sent for glucose tolerance tests which showed that I have insulin resistance. As a result metformin was prescribed.

I take 2 x 850mg a day. I have suffered from a dodgy tum like piercing queen & have had some days where I am unable to eat. It acts as an appetite suppressant so I have managed to lose some weight - at least that was before the Christmas chocs made an appearance. ;D

I would say it is worth asking your gp about...have you mind put at rest anyway. My clinic told me it will help with the tx in the long term.

Good luck

Lots of love
B xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts