Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ruth,

It has been 5 and a half wks that Ive been on Metformin.  Within 3 wks I had upped the dose to 3 a day.  Thoughout I was feeling nausia ... and had to eat constantly to try and make my tummy feel better.

But then in wk 4/5 I started to get really bad acid stomach and acid Reflux.  One day I had a late lunch wihich I regretted.  I had a migraine and then violent vomiting and met bottom ...

Since then the acid stomach continued.  Yesterday I calle dthe nurse and said that I would lower the dose to 2 a day.  She sounded iffy.  However, today I already feel 10 times better.

I am due to start the Clomid 50mg again in 3 wks.  Do you think that lowering the dose is not a good idea??  I mean will it stop being as effective?  Will I have to stay on it for longer before I start the clomid?

Tweets x

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi Tweetiepie,
sorry that you're not getting on with the metformin.  As you know I'm not a nurse, but I thought I'd let you know that when I went to clinic a few weeks ago the doctor said that if I didn't get on with 3 a day to reduce it to 2.  As it is I've got used to them, but I wouldn't worry too much about reducing the dose.

Hope this helps,
Fitou

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi Tweetiepie, I am on metformin as well and have really struggled with the nausea this time round. On the recommendation of one of the girls here I went and got travelbands from Boots which, amazingly, help stop the worst of the nausea - doesn't take it away completely but definitely reduces it. I spoke to my Dr about the side efffects and he said that funnily enough they have found that reducing the dose seems to make the side effects worse ... ?! I think though that if all you can manage is 2 a day that is better than nothing and will still show an effect. Best of luck from a fellow sufferer! :)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Tweets,

Congratulations for sticking with the Metformin. It took me months to go from one to two a day and I have not been able to get to three. Same effects as you experienced.

I have noticed that the side-effects are much worse on the week before my period so I have started cutting back to one on that week. Then I go back to 2 in the weeks after.

Sorry I don't have any clomid experience but wanted to wish you luck and sens some sympathy.

With warmest regards,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Tweets,
You're not alone! :)
I to am having a bit of a brutal time on metformin. I've been on it for 2 weeks and tried to up my dose to 2 500g a day, but felt so rough I had to drop back down to 1 a day.
I have found that i have to eat half my food then take tab then eat rest of food -this stops the met bum for me!  ^shake^

Also I've read that eating fatty or sugary foods makes the sickness worse and drinking plenty of water helps as it help the kidneys deal with the medicine.
About 5 mins after taking I get bloated and cloudy headed (to the point where i couldn't drive safely) but I'm hoping this will get better as time goes on. ^zombie^

Chin up and hope things get better for you.
all the best
Suze 

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi all,

Ive just started on the met, im on 2 daily, one after my breakfast and one after my evening meal.
So far so good, when will all these symptoms kick in? I read about met bum and the sickness and so far im doing ok.

How long does this medication take to work on average?

Good luck all.

J

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi All

I started Met 2 days ago and have been taking 3 :-\ i was told to start of on 2 but my mum takes them for diabetes and she was ok so i thought id try ive been a bit yukky until last night we had a late meal and went to bed at 10.30pm cos i felt so washed out but woke at 3am with severe cramps diarhea and almost vomited, i went back to bed with a bowl and had the shivers and woke up fine this morning.
I want to try and stick with 3 if i can just drinking plenty of water and and no fatty foods, mainly cos im dieting too  ::)

Good Luck.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

Poor you, i am starting 3 a day today, ive just had my 2nd for the day.

I must say ive had a few cramps, but nothing too bad and i was woke at 4.30 this morning to say my sil had just given birth to a girl, i felt hungry and sick then, but soon feel back off to sleep.

I think its best to take them with your meals and maybe eat healthy snacks.

good Luck.

J

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi J

Good luck with taking 3 today, ive just taken my second, im going to try having a light dinner at around 6pm and hopefuly i will get a decent nights sleep, i hope so cos i got a digital bbt and i wanted to start temping but because i had broken sleep and felt so yukky i couldnt do it today so fingers crossed for tomorow morning  :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Babycakes,

good luck to you, have you heard of the Persona machine? it is great for pinpointing you ovulation time, it gives you an eggy sign when you get your LH surge, great for getting your BD timing correct.

I have just had my 2nd pill and so far so good, i am in fact constipated, but i shouldn't shout that too loud as knowing my luck it will change in the blink of an eye and i will end up doing a mad dash to the loo LOL

I keep thinking i best not go out in case the met bum come on all of a sudden and i get caught short LOL

Well its 2 down 1 to go, tonight will be the test.

J

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

QUESTION

If you fall pregnant on metformin do you have to keep taking it during pregnancy?

Thanks

J

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Hi Girls

I have a question too.  Are you all on 3 x 500mg per day? 

Sorry, long post coming up!  I started taking metformin yesterday.  I have only been prescribed 1 x 500mg per day by my consultant.  It was my first visit and she was happy to prescribe them but made some comment about checking the dose so I presume she doesn't prescribe it often.  She was going to let my GP do the prescription but I asked her to do it (as my GP surgery is a bit funny about fertility related drugs and I didn't want another fight!)  Anyhow, to cut the waffle it wasn't until I picked up the prescription that I realised it was for 1 x 500mg.  I was expecting x 3.  Do you think I should phone the clinic and ask them to check this out in case it should be three (or as she doesn't advocate it's long term use do you think that's all I am allowed?)  I really want metformin to work especially as I have promised to lose weight before my next visit in August so I would rather be on the correct dose!

Sorry for the ramble but your advice would be appreciated.  I don't really want to 'pee off' the doctor by questioning her as I have waited so long to get this far.

Fluffs xxx

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Fluffs

I would just ask if she meant to prescribe one a day longterm, or whether she meant slowly increase them over the weeks to 3 a day like other people on metformin do, thats what i was supposed to do slowly increase the dose but like you i too need to lose weight by august so im taking 3 a day  ::)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Fluffs,

I am on  at the moment 3 x 500mg, but will work up to 4 x 500mg, thats about the going dosage i think.

I also read that lower doese don't seem to work and the average dose is the 4 x 500mg daily.

I started off with one aday and then after 3 days went to 2 a day and then 3 days later 3 a day and soon i will be taking the 4 a day.

The reason you build up it to stop the horrid side effect.

Hope this helps you.

J

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi JJR,
to answer your earlier question, my Dr has asked me to stay on metformin when I get pregnant until at least the first heartbeat is seen, I think that is because I have miscarried previously and there is evidence that metformin might to help prevent mc in women with PCOS but you should check with your Dr if you get your BFP.
Sara  :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for that, i had thought that was the case and i will check when and if i get a BFP. i have had a run of MC's so fingers crossed the met helps.

J

·
Registered
169 Posts
hi all,
I'm on a slightly different dose, i'm on 850mg x2 only started number 2 last night and so far so good.#
Hope all are  ^shake^ remain pain free

Frisky x

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

I had the first signs of met bum this morning..........sorry ladies for the info LOL but i guess it comes to us all on this medication.

Apart from that all seems to be ok, im on my day when i will start taking the 4, just had my 2 with my weetabix, so far so good, i will have my other 2 tonight with my evening meal and then thats me set for 4 a day.

Good luck to us all, and may we get a BFP real soon.

J

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.