Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to FF and found this website whilst trying to understand the drug Metformin.  ^idiot^

After suffering from irregular periods my whole life (~3/4 per year!) I went to the Dr ~5 years ago and was diagnosed with 'probable' PCOS (high LH - 16 and high Testosterone levels) - I am however what the Dr described as a 'non-typical' PCOS sufferer..... he said that I am slim and do not have excess hair etc.

I have been using Dianette as a form of contraception for 4 years and came off it in Jan to try and concieve. In March I decided to see the Dr again for some help with kick-starting my ovulation/ periods and he ran more blood tests to get a more up-to-date idea of what was going on with my body......
He, again, said that I had PCOS and put me on metformin (1 week: 1st x 500mg/day, 2nd week: 2 x 500 mg/day, 3rd week onwards: 3 x 500 mg/day).

I started the treatment on 19th April and have not yet had a period so am a bit confused as to whether the treatment is actually working or not.......... it definately made me feel bloated (grumbly tummy!) feel sick/ loose my appetite in the first few weeks and (I am normally quite reasonable and a happy-go-lucky person) but it has also made me quite 'on edge' and grumpy for no reason at all!! 

I am hoping that the medication will kick start my ovulation and periods and am waiting with baited breath for my first........ I never thought I would look forward to a period before (not had one since my last 'pretend period' whilst on Dianette (Jan).

Does anyone have any experience or advice that they can share with me Re: Metformin?? How long did it take you to have your first period etc??

I went back to the Dr after taking the tablets for one month (for a repeat pescription) and explained that I had not yet had a period. He gave me four months more supply and said that he would review it (and consider putting me on other medication) after that time. Does this seem normal?

Thanks in advance for you help and advice,
xx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hi hun,

I havent heard of metformin being taken to have a period. (although i could be wrong) Its usually taken to help reduce your cysts on your ovaries.

There are other drugs to induce a bleed, has your cons dicussed this with you? If everything is ok on your partners side, has your cons mentioned taking clomid? this boosts ovulation and is qiute effective when taken with metformin. If your not having periods then then a drug can be prescribed to induce your bleed for the clomid.

Sorry cant i cant be much more help, and hopefully someone else will be along shortly

Nikki xx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nikki :)

Thanks for your posts - I do appreciate it.

The Dr that I have been to said that he would try and start me on Met to stimulate ovulation (and periods) and, if that doesn't work, I will be put on something else as well (I think clomid is an option).
He has given me 4 more months supply of Met (I've been on it over a month so far) and has told me to see how I get on with that and review things again in 4 months time....... I think, only then, will he refer me to a fertility clinic - if need be.

He told me to tell my husband to get tested now to help speed things up a little if/when it comes to being refered to a clinic. He keeps telling me 'you are young so don't worry' which is slightly annoying as I think that I am an average age to be thinking about having children, not 'young'!!

In reply to your other message (on the introductions page) I'm not far from my hospital so I'm guessing that my DH can 'do the deed' in the quiet of our own home!!  ;D bless him!! How do you go about getting a sperm test done? - is it just a case of contacting his GP first?

Thanks for your help,
xx

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey cheeki,

I'm on met too and have been for quite a while now. The met is used to allow your endocrines and other hormone production to function normally as when you have pcos you have higher levels of testosterone etc which can inhibit the normal functions meaning you won't have a period or ovulate regularly.

Your doctor sounds like he's on the right track anyway, and is right about getting your DH to be tested too. The more results you have the more able you are to deal with everything. Knowledge is power and all that  ;D

Good luck! x

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Cheeki_munki,

Regarding SA sample, Get your DH to pop to his docters (if different from yours) and they will give him a form and a pot  ;) then he can do it as and when. I takes about 2-3 weeks for the results to come back, if there is anything wrong with dh's sa then it will be a different route to clomid, but cross that bridge if you come to it.

Nikki xx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts