Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Has taking Metformin helped with unwanted hair?

• Not that i've noticed

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Yes a little

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Yes a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All :D,
I am after some information about metformin??!! I have PCOS and have just had my first cycle of IUI which failed and was wondering if it was worth while stopping my treatment for 6-8 months and going on Metformin to see if my PCOS symptoms would subside and also to try clomid with Metformin. Also does Metformin help you loose weight???? I would appricate any information on this drug i have phoned the hospital with my querie but no one has got back to me and i am asking you guys help!! ??? ???

Look forward to hearing from someone
Ta

Eeyore

xx :p

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi eeyore.

okay. Metformin is usually prescribed for diabetes but beacause it has been shown that pcos is linked to insulin reisitance it has been recently used (by some drs) in the treatment of pcos. It can help loose weight but usually only when follwing a diet and exercise too., it speeds up your metabolism.

I found this info but you will need adaobe to read it as its a pdf file.
www.endocrineonline.org/pdf%20box/pcos+met.pdf

hope you can read it its really good. also this one
http://www.2womenshealth.com/07-14.htm

good luck... i may to be put on metformin, i am going for day21 blood test tomorrow and see doc next week for results so he may decide to put me on it .
Love
Lou

·
Registered
222 Posts
I take met, im on 1850mg a day, ive been on it for the past 2 years, for me it hasnt really helped with weightloss, i wish it had, but it has helped with the acne and hair growth. I hope this answers you abit. I do know that more doctors are prescribing it more now, although i do know of a friend of mine that has lost weight with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went to the fertility clinic last year and deciced that I wasnt going to leave until the consultant prescribed Metformin. It took some work, but finally he agreed (I had printed off lots of literature for back up).

My periods were usually around 6-18 months appart, but within 4 weeks of starting met I got one, then another 32 days later. The following month we concieved. I was totally amazed. I also lost 2 stone in that period, which may have helped. I didnt diet as such, just did the south beach diet for about 2 weeks on 3 occasions during the 3 months.

I think I'm one of the lucky ones, unfortunatley not everyone is.

I stayed on Met (3 x 500mgs daily) until I got to 14 weeks as I had read that it helps with m/c.

You should at least give it a go, there's nothing to loose. Oh there are some dodgy side effects (staying near to a toilet), I only had these for the first couple of weeks though.

good luck

audrey ;D

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi,

Just to say I too have PCOS with most of the symptoms and took metformin for a few months. In conjunction with the Atkins diet (as recommeneded by my consultant!!!!) I lost over a stone in 8 weeks. I was then given provera to induce a period (had only had 2-3 in 3 years) and then a course of clomid and conceived at the very first attempt.

I know I am one of the very very lucky ones but would definately recommend discussing with your consultant as I am sure it really helped me. I am now 34+ weeks pregnant.

Good luck and hope all works out well for you

Take care

S xxx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow - that's very reassuring and well done you !!!

I hope you don't mind me asking how overweight you were .... I am about 2 1/2 stone over weight and I would like to know if I need to loose it all or if a stone would be enough. As with all of us PCOS sufferers I find it very, very hard to loose weight. I can't do the Atkins cos Im veggie ... Ive joined Weight Watchers but its slow !

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi,

I had gradually crept up to 12 1/2 stone (I know now this was probably due to PCOS) from around 9-10 stone over about 3-4 years.

I went from 12 1/2 stone down to just over 11 stone in 8 weeks and the consultant was happy with that so let me have clomid.

Even if you can't do atkins, try and really cut down on the carbohydrates as the consultant said PCOS sufferers have an intolerance to carbs. It clearly worked for me, I was gosmacked how quickly the weight came off but i'm sure the metformin helped too.

Good luck

S xxx

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hiya

i perhaps cant help too much but............

I am due to be put on metformin following my recent surgery

i am also going to be running it along side clomid also

My gynae is hoping that it may help with some of the weight gain which i am convinced is caused by the pcos as i dont eat that big a diet anyhow!!

I hope that the metformin helps u

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi all,My name is Sarah.was told that i have pcos a yr and a half ago.Was put on Metformin 4 weeks ago.I'm having to take now 500mg 3 times a day.Been advised to take till i get pregnant.Feel sick alot while on them but find that i need the loo alot since being on them.Has anybody else had this trouble?Also i now get water retention in my right foot only since taking this.Has anyone had that as a side effect too?If anyone has any advice for me. Me and my bf have been trying for 2 yrs for a baby now with no luck.I already have a 8yr old daughter and i misscarried 5 yrs ago.I was with a previous bf then.My currant bf has a really low sperm count too.

Email address removed by admin due to site policy

·
Registered
6 Posts
You've been on it about the same time as me although I am on a slightly lower dose. I haven't had any real effects so I think I've been quite lucky. However, I have noticed that both of my feet tend to swell up every now and then. It's like a squidgy feeling on the top part of my feet but Im not too concerned. My acupuncturist says swelling / water retention are signs that your body is not expelling well and the qi (pronounced chi) isnt flowing......

I've heard that taking the pills with food can really help with sickness. Ive done that from the start and never felt sick. I did have a bit of a dry mouth to begin with but that seems to have gone.

I do seem to be hungry all the time but that may be because Ive started a diet !

Stay positive - you've had a child before so you're chances of conceiving are massively improved ! If you're not doing it already, you need to deal with your bf's low count as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Eeyore & rest of the gang

I just wanted to quickly share my metformin experience. I have been on metformin 1600 mg per day on and off for 2 years, although not because of PCOS (recently detected) but because I'm diabetic.

Both my pregnancies were achieved whilst on metformin, and i'm sure that it was the main reason I was able to conceive.

Apart from needing to rush to the loo a bit during the first week on mf, I haven't had any other problems, and have lost about 1 stone altogether (although plenty more still to lose !)

Audrey - I was particularly interested to read your post, I've had 2 miscarriages and recently come across lots of evidence that I should carry on with metformin once I get pregnant again. It's really reassuring to come across your success story ! Did your consultant know you were on metformin whilst pg, or did you choose not to tell them ?

best wishes to all
Helen x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Helen

I have also read up a lot on Metformin and there seems to be compelling evidence (mainly from the States) that it helps prevent miscarriage in the first 3 months. As you probably know women with PCOS are more at risk of m/c during these crucial months and so you may want to try it.

Best of luck !

Rachel x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you to all who have left me advice about metformin and pcos. ^group^. Ive also been told that i have cervical stenosis and that my bf has azoospermia.He did 2 sperm tests,the 1st came back that he had no sperm,the 2 nd however showed that he had 2 million non mobile sperm.Then we were told that the 2 million he had were swimming slow after being told that they were non mobile?I'm so confussed.Then when i was put on metformin about 5 weeks ago now,the nurse there told us that i was to take metformin till i was pregnant but then told us in the next breath that it was highly unlikley that i was to become pregnant by my bf unless we have ivf which they know we cant afford.Can anyone give any advice to this?Please help,i'm going out of my mind.lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi ya!

Stop going out of your mind!!! We're all bonkers already so I'm sure it can't help.

Metformin is such a new treatment that there are many different theories about it's success for different aspects of treatment.

Metformin has had a lot of positive results and if there is a slight chance that you could get pregnant by your bf then it's probably worth taking the Metformin as it can only help, it doesn't do any harm (other than the initial side effects). It's also good for maturing reluctant eggs whilst your injecting fertility drugs or taking clomid. It helps to regualte some patients periods where they may have previously been irregular or absent. It could be for any of these reasons that your doctor is suggesting you take Met.

If you were to ever have IVF it would be important to get your body used to the Met before starting treatment, and then afterwards for the first 12 weeks to continue taking it to help protect against miscarriage.

I totally understand about not being able to afford IVF, I can't either! But have you considered egg sharing instead? By sharing your eggs with another (annonymous) couple your IVF is paid for by that couple receiving your eggs. It's a great way to help another couple achieve their dream and achieve yours at the same time. It's obviously a big decision and only some clinics offer this but it's worth a though?

Good luck, and I hope your dreams come true!

^fairydust^

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hiya all

Just wondered if anyone can help

Am slightly confused as to what side effects i can expect

Gynae has discharged me via a letter (but have appt on monday) am due to pick up a prescription tomorrow to start it (from gp surgery) who cant really give much info on metformin to me.

Just wondered if its normal to be prescribed this without finding out if i am ovulating a dh sperm analysis, yes we have had these tests 10 years or so ago but things could have changed couldnt they??

reason for prescribing is to aid weight loss??  just lost 19lbs this past month how much more do they want me to lose for crying out loud (sorry for a rant)

What side effect do u get and whats the normal dosage (bearing in mind i am not normal ;D)

Any help or advice happily recieved

Many thanks
Emilyxx

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, i know it might be too late to reply but am new to board and just read your message. I am taking Metformin, also to aid in weight loss and to leval our my insulin levels and hormones. I take one 500mg tablet three times a day. Side effects when you first start to take them are the trots but recommend gradually incresing the dosage each week.
Anyway, hope this is of little help
All the best
Lisaloo

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Hi Emily

I was given metformin. My doc at the clinic told me that metformin has been proved to help PCOS women. I took mine right up to EC the first time then this last time i was told to stop if i got a positive.
It is basicly a diabetic drug and PCOS is to do with insulin and stuff i cant remember all the details. It is best to take it with or after food and as Lisa says you will more than likely have problems with your bowels till your used to it.

Good luck
Love Kim x x x

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi girls,

Just looking for a bit of advice really what with Christmas party season fast approaching.

I have just started 850mg of metformin twice a day & it is my office do on Friday night. My clinic mentioned nothing about not drinking when taking it but reaing through the information leaflet last night it said alcohol is not recommended.

Could that be just a standard thing that goes on these leaflets or is drinking definitely a no-no when taking metformin ??

Any ideas?

Thanks

B
xx

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Hi Buddug

I read that in the leaflet too, but my consultant said a few drinks are ok, now and again (although I'm cutting right back as I'm trying to be good to my body!).

He did say that I can stop taking the Metformin for a day or so over the party season if I'm going to be drinking more heavily, and it won't delay the overall treatment. So...I've got a couple of parties planned and am going to just not take the tablets for 1 or 2 days beforehand.

As much as I pray for a baby and hope Metformin will help me, I've decided I need to live my life a little bit more at the moment and stop cutting out everything I enjoy!

I'm sure you'll find a way that's suitable for you.

Best of luck with your treatment,
Kate x

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Hi Buddug,
Im on 850 3x daily and have been for some time, I love a drink (3-4 times week)  ^evil^
Ive been told its ok to drink whilst on metformin, i was under the impression that it didnt effect it whatsoever.
After reading what lipglosses consultant told her,I will be checking again with my dr and i will post again as soon as i do.
I suppose too much booze cant be good for you if your on medication or not but a little of what you fancy cant be too bad as like lipgloss mentioned- we still need to live a little!  :)
Good luck, whatever you decide.
Summer xXx

1 - 20 of 205 Posts