Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's taken me 3 1/2 weeks but I've finally got round to writing my story.

Bean's EDD was 10th May but I had been convinced all along that I'd go 2 weeks over as both dh and I were 2 weeks late.
However, at 2.30am on 11th May I went to the loo and noticed a bit of blood.  I went back to bed and lay there wondering if it meant anything  ;D At 3.00am I suddenly felt a strong period pain.  After about 15 minutes I'd felt a few of these pains and so woke up dh and got him to put on my tens machine.  I then lay on the bed while he had a shower and pottered around packing last minute items for the hospital.  I tried timing the contractions but they seemed so close together and to be so long that I thought I must be doing it wrong, so I rang the hospital at 4am.  The mw at the hospital didn't really believe me when I said that, after 1 hour, my contractions were about 3 minutes apart.  She told me to eat breakfast and then come in, but warned me that she'd probably send me home again.
On the way to the hospital we stopped at a petrol station to try and buy sandwiches as everyone had warned that first babies take ages and that we'd want something to eat.  However there was a queue at the petrol station (yes, at 4.45am!) so I told dh to keep driving.  We arrived at the hospital at 5am by which point my contractions were so strong that each one had me on my hands and knees.  The mw checked me out and I was 5cm dilated  :eek:
The mw then asked me if I'd like some pethadine, to which my answer was 'yes please!'  The pethadine was fab as it dulled the pain enough for me to be able to lie on the bed for 2 1/2 hours just saying 'boost' to my dh at each contraction.  He would then press the boost button on my tens machine till I told him to stop.  I think he was watching the news for most of this stage!
At 7.30 the mw said I had to get up and moving so I sat on the birthing ball and jiggled, with dh sitting behind me to stop me falling backwards.  After a while my waters broke in a huge gush, giving me very wet feet - and the plug came out with it.  I then started to get irregular urges to push so I swapped my tens machine for gas and air.  I didn't really like the g&a as it made me feel drunk and spacy but it did the trick and also helped me to concentrate on my breathing.
At 8.20am I was getting the urge to push with every contraction so got up on the bed and knelt, leaning over the head of the bed.  I pushed for 40 minutes and then, whoosh, at 9.01 Finlay was born (9lb 8oz and 54cm) and put straight onto my tummy.  I'll never forget the warm, wet feeling of him being put on me.  I found out he was a boy because he wee'd all over me at he was put on me  ;D  The birth took 6 hours and 1 minute from start to finish and, most importantly, no stitches  ;D .
I then had a natural 3rd stage, which took 23 minutes.
The whole experience was wonderful and, though it was the worst pain I've ever felt, it was never so bad that I wanted it taken away with an epidural.  According to dh I didn't even scream or swear  ;D  I know that I was very lucky.
I hope that my story helps some people who may be nervous about giving birth.
Mia x

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Great story hun!!

Am very jealous  :-[ The pain is worth every second of it though when your babe is put on your chest  :)

x x x

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Congratulations hun, great story.

Enjoy every minute

Nikki xx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts