Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hope some one can help,

i went to see my midwife today but was seen by a stand in so to speak, as my usual one was on holiday and all she kept banging on about was an amnio and now im even more stressed.Im 17wks and wondered if anyone else had been pushed into having this done,she has made me an appointment for next friday as i was rather put on the spot,and didnt know what to say or do.She offered me a cerum test but said that the figures would come back high risk due to my age.Also i had my bloods taken at 9wks and they still have only got half the results back,can someone tell me what these blood tests were.

I feel i have been through so much already i dont know if i can put myself through this ordeal,my partner is not very helpful and im worried that if i dont have the test done and i have a downs baby my partner will put the blame on me for not having had the test in the first place.

thanks in advance for any advice

love janine xx

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi Janine,
Sorry to hear you have got all these worries. Why does the midwife think you need an amnio?
Has she explained all your blood test results to you? I don't think it should be suggested you have an amnio unless your results have come back high risk of Downs or other abnormalities irrespective of your age. Did you have a Nuchal scan?
Perhaps see if you can arrange an appointment with another midwife to answer all your questions. You and your partner can't make a decison until you are given all the facts.
I really hope you get some good advice.
Best wishes,
Hettie x

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Janine

There must be some reasonable query as to why your midwife was pushing you to an amnio?? Sounds very strange.

Have you considered talking to www.arc-uk.org Antenatal Results and Choices?

Phone up your midwife and explain that you want to know why she was pushing for an amnio. I would certainly want all the bloods back before I made a final decision. At the end of the day there is a small risk with an amnio and before you take that choice you need all the facts.

Sending you a huge ^hugme^
Deb

This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.UK or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks cm and hettie,

I asked the midwife if any of my results had come back with any abnormalties and she said that what she had back was ok,i also asked if there was something she wasnt telling me that may have been recorded from my last scan at 12wks but she said that everything was fine.I didnt have a nuchal as my consultant said there would be no need for one and that the results of this test were only 70-75% accurate,sorry if this upsets anyone but just quoting what he told me.

Do you think i should push for an explantion again and to also ask if they do know something that i dont,and also should i push for the cerum test.

thanks again for the help

love janine xx

·
Registered
448 Posts
the whole point of the triple test or quad blood tests you could have at this stage are to come up with a risk level that looks beyond your age alone.

She is wrong to say that they will come back high risk.

My background risk was put at 1:127 based solely on my age (38).

After the nuchal scan it was 1:681 and after the combined test (an earlier blood test at 12 weeks), it was 1:7000.

Frankly i later wished i had had an amnio because i am a bit of a nervous wreck about the possibility of Downs.

But there's no reason you shouldn't have blood screening to assess your risks before even considering an amnio.

Your midwife should have given you a leaflet on screening for Downs that outlines the various tests. a blood test at 9 weeks sounds quite early for screening. But at the stage you are at now, you can have these triple or quad tests that are meant to be fairly accurate even if you didn't have a nuchal scan. (which you should have been offered, really. I can't imagine what your consultant's reasoning was.)
the nuchal and combined test together at 12 weeks catch 80%-85% of cases.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I would imagine the blood tests at 9 weeks were the routine ones so full blood count, HIV, hepetitis, blood group etc -if you look in your maternity notes it should say in there. The triple blood test is offered at 16 weeks and I was told the closer you are to 16 weeks the more accurate it is, but you don't have to have them done.

I am very surprised she's pushing you into an amnio and if you don't want one then don't have one, you can't be forced into it. If you don't have any of the screening tests it is possible they can pick up some things at your anomoly scan although not all, but they do check for markers.

Good luck whatever you decide,

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Jini - basing the risk on age alone is not sufficient. I'm not sure what the window for doing the blood tests is (it may be too late for some of the readings but double check and make sure). What can be looked at with a scan to possibly identify Downs is the presence of the nasal bone (usually Down's babies don't have a prominent nasal bone), and they can also check the situation by the skin folds around the hands (Down's babies usually have heavy skin folds).

You shouldn't be pushed to do anything at all, but you should have all the information at hand to make your own decision.

best -
mayve

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Hi Hun,

If you didnt have a nuchal scan then I havent a clue why she is saying you should have
    an amnio, My midwide didnt even mention a nuchal scan for me & I was the same age as
    you when I was pregnant with Miles.

I def wouldnt have an amnio unless there was something that indicated there was something
    wrong as amnio's carry a risk of miscarriage, only a small one I know but still a risk & its
    a risk I def wouldnt take unless I had a nuchal scan that showed a high risk of there being
    a problem & I would only do that if it showed along with the special blood tests that something
    really bad ( & I mean more than downs)  was wrong with the baby.. I thought that the amnio
    was the last thing that is done for
    testing.. As far as you can tell you have only had the normal blood tests not the ones that
    look for abnormalities so your midwofe would have no indication that there could be a problem.

I would ring & ask to speak to your niormal midwife.

Katy. xxxxxxxx

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi Janine

I don't know an awful lot about it so forgive me if I am talking rubbish!. You seem to be a few months or a year older than me.  My MW never suggested that I had triple test for my age - she just explained what they were and then asked me what I wanted to do - she did say there would be no point having bloods if I was not prepared to have an amnio if test came back high -  so made decision that what will be will be its taken me too long to get this far and I'm not worrying myself sick through my pg on odds and what ifs that could ultimately be wrong -  I therefore declined and she never mentioned it again

You shouldn't be pressured into doing anything - we have enough worries as it is

Best of luck and take care

xxx

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Hi there

If it's any help, I do have a Downs baby and it's really not the end of the world.  She's a real cutie (see photo).

We chose not to do the amnio because I only got PG on what was to be our last go of IVF before giving up, so there was no way I was going to do anything with any risk of miscarriage, however small.  The amnio and the CVS will tell you for definite whether your baby has Downs, and possibly some other conditions as well, but because both of them carry a slight risk of miscarriage (1-2%) they do the risk screening to work out whether you are low or high risk, and usually you will only be offered amnio if you are high risk.  The nuchal scan and blood tests are to determine whether you are low or high risk. Your age is a factor but not the only one, and 37 isn't that old, really.  So either you have had some tests which show you are high risk, or they shouldn't be pushing you into an amnio.

The question you have to ask yourself is what you would do if you found out that you were having a Downs baby.  It is not curable or treatable, so the only thing you can do if you don't want a Downs child is to have a termination.  If you want to have that option, then you have to do the amnio and take the risk, but if you feel you wouldn't terminate the pregnancy, then the only reason for doing it is to know for certain.  That is useful in that if the baby is Downs, they can check it out more thoroughly for problems like heart or bowel disorders (though not all heart problems can be picked up before birth - Lizzie's wasn't), and that may affect how it is delivered, and you have to balance that against the small risk of miscarriage.

If I can help with anything more, please post or IM me

All the best
Essex Girl x

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hi,

I dont think you should risk having the amnio done. I know i wouldnt ever want to risk it. I personally would love my child just as much if he or she had downs or not, every baby is a wonderful gift from god.

Bell xx

P.S. Essex Girl, Lizzie is so cute, what a precious little girl xx

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

As far as I am aware its your decision and all they are basing their facts on is your age.  If you really feel strongly about not having this done then I would speak up and ask why they feel its necessary.

Did you have the triple test ???  Or the Nuchal Fold Scan ???

Don't feel bullied into this, it is your decision at the end of the day.

x x x x

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
jini

Im quite shocked at what the midwife is saying to you - surely the first thing to do would be have the triple test - and then she can give you guidance based on them results.

Maybe you will get more sense to go along for the amnio appointment as a consultant will be there to perform it and speak to them about it. Although probably best to get it sorted beforehand.

I have in a previous pregnancy been 'high risk' according to the triple test and booked in for a amnio slot but had scans first and taken advice from the consultant at the time of the scan - he said he thought there was no need for a amnio. 

Sounds all very confusing but it sounds like the midwife is pushing you into a amnio based on your age alone.  At your local hospital scanning unit (here it is called the fetal medicine unit) there should be a counsellor and may be worth you speaking to them also and if they cant help they will go find a consultant that will.

^hugme^

Essex girl - your daughter is adorable  :-*

Nic x

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the nuchal scan and a blood test in a private hospital at week 12.  Passed my result to my midwife.  She didn't think that I required to have the triple test at week 16 (this week) since my nuchal scan result was at the low risk.  Amnio has never been mentioned. As I discussed it with the consultant when I had my nuchal scan, he didn't think the Amnio was required if the nuchal scan & blood test result was at the low risk. My midwife said that I have a consultant care appointment on week 17 and a scan on week 20 and more blood tests will be carried out then. 
I don't know what to suggest Jini............

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Jini

Like the others I'm very surprised that this M/W is pushing for an amnio especially when she does not have all the facts. I have a high risk of one the other chromosome abnormalites and decided after the Nuchal and blood tests not to do any futher tests apart from 16 and 20 weeks. I wouldn't be bullied into an amnio just because of your age, there has to be some other evidance to push you down this route.

Lol
Macboo

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hi

When I saw the midwife after my scan I asked what she thought about the tests etc I didn't have a Nuchal Fold scan she said it was our choice but to be honest after our history and everything and in a way this was our last attempt I wouldn't consider termination if I was having a Downs baby

She said I would only worry all the rest of the pregnancy and I'm just grateful to get this far I'm also 37!!!

Good Luck Jini whatever you decide to do ^hugme^

Essex Girl What a gorgeous little girl

love Jools xx

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'd personally ask for a new midwife and skip the amnio.  you have nothing to suggest anything is wrong so far so why risk it??  I'd only have one if there was a big chance of something serious being wrong, if it was just a chance of downs I'd still not risk it as I'd not consider a termination for that anyway.
Best of luck,
Helen xx

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I just wanted to agree with what a lot of other people have said to you...

If the test came back suggesting there was a high risk of your baby having downs, would you havea termination? If the answer is no, what is the point of having the test, you will just spend the rest of your pregnancy worrying...

Good luck

sam

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi to everyone who replied,  :)

I would just like to say a big thank you for all your advice,i rang my maternity unit and spoke to another midwife and she said that i must get in to my gp surgery this week to have the cerum tests as it has to be done before you are 18wks, so this is what im going to do,she aslo said that some of the older midwifes do push for amnio based on age and some also push for other things like breast feeding it just depends which midwife you get.She also said not to worry about it but how else would you react  ::)  ^idiot^.

I spose im old enough and ugly enough not to be pushed or feel forced into something i dont want to do or you would think so eh  ^idiot^

anyways thanks again janine xxx

·
Registered
448 Posts
Jini, glad to hear you are getting some better options.
best wishes!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts