Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Did your child have the MMR offered at around 13 months?

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Concerned mummies-
This topic comes up quite often so I have merged all the threads together to make them easy to find
There are some separate MMR topics related to other specific questions which I have left unmerged, please search 'MMR' and health board and you will find them ;)

Claire x

Hi

Just wondering what your views on this were. We are dead against the jab, & are going to pay for them to be done seperately. We will have to travel into Eltham to have them done, but i really dont think that putting 3 illnesses into my son at the same time can be good for him.

Karen & Benjamin

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
karen im the same as you dont know what to do.

i was told to wait till there 15mths to see if something is wrong.

jack has hes mmr booked and i think we are going to have all of them in 1 jab.
but on the other hand we are thinking of the seprate ones as well.

we are lost on this subjet..........

becca x

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Hi Karen ~ i'm going for single jabs too. I really don't know the rights and wrongs of it all but i'm just going with my instinct........pees me off that we aren't offered the choice though.

Good luck with it,

Lizzy xxx

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Lizzy

Glad to see its not just me. Got my registration form through today, we have to pay for each jab upfront, £80. No hidden consultation fees to pay either. Have you sorted your clinic out? If not i can im you with details of the place i am getting Benjamin done, they have clinics around the country.

Karen & Benjamin

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
I did have lots of concerns before giving Jack the MMR, but ultimately decided to go with it.  Already starting to worry about giving Ben his  :-\  It's not so much all the different diseases at the same time that worried me, as I allowed Ben to have more than 3 at once during the first 3 lots of jabs that baby has from 8 weeks onwards, what is it, polio, whooping cough, meningitis C, diptheria, tetanus - sure I've missed a couple there too!  What a cocktail!!!!!  I was concerned though about the bad press, but it seemed to me that the risks of something like autism were small - if even there at all.  I have to admit I didn't really investigate it all too much as the whole thing of vaccines terrifies me anyway and I knew I'd just end up frightening myself more.  What I was sure of was that I would always vaccinate my children as to me the risks from the diseases far outweighed those that may/may not be related to the vaccines.  Plus I'd feel guilty about contributing to an outbreak and another child who was too young to have the MMR contracting measles and suffering devastating consequences, just because I hadn't vaccinated my child who was old enough to have the jabs, contributed to the low uptake and thus and outbreak. 

I think there are pros and cons to both the combined vaccine and the single vaccine, and ultimately it has to be a choice that as a parent we are comfortable in making, and it is an individual choice as to what to do. 

Jack recently had his booster MMR and it wasn't any less worrying letting him have that.  I know I'm going to worry loads when it's Ben's turn again, but at this point I think I will let him have the combined MMR. 

One other thing that worried me about the separate jabs was where these were manufactured.  It's not in this country is it? 

Love

Jayne x

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jayne,

I know Ben had his normal jabs, minus the whooping cough(there is epilepsy in family which apparantly is why they didnt do this one), but i feel that these ones put him more at risk, mainly because of the autism thing, if there is even just 1% chance of him getting it, then thats too much.
They are not made here, but off the top of my head i cant remember where they are from. I have all the details in the folder downstairs. I can let you know anything you want about it. It is all safely imported. I wouldnt put Benjamin through anything that would hurt him

Karen

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Of course you wouldn't Karen  :)  I was only saying about them being made somewhere else, as it was something I'd read about before Jack had his (and it's a couple of years ago now), so couldn't quite remember if they were or weren't made in this country.  :) :)

It's personal choice at the end of the day, and each of us as a parent has to make the choice we feel best for our child.  It could be considered that each of us chosing the combined vaccine which may have a teeny risk associated with it regarding autism is putting our child through something that may harm them, but then again, whose to say the single vaccines are 100% safe.  I don't think any vaccine - combined or single - is considered 100% safe, even by the medical profession.  They all come with risks to different degrees, but most likely do outweigh those posed by the disease itself. 

I think that so long as we as individuals are comfortable with our decision to vaccinate, not vaccinate, use combined vaccines or single vaccines, then that's what's important as we are ultimately responsible for the welfare of our children. 

Just my thoughts though.  Not saying any way is right or wrong. 

Love

Jayne x

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Jayne, i understand where you are coming from with this. If we all thought the same way about things, the world would be such a boring place.
I think what has swayed me even more than i was before, is my friends grandson had his combined jab, & he has developed the mildest form of autism. I know that this could have happened anyway, but then again it might not have.
Karen & Benjamin

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Hi Karen ~ i know there is a clinic near me that people have recommended but if you could IM the details of yours too, that would be fab.

I guess what made me concerned in the first place was the fact that i have crohns disease which is one of the problems associated with the combined jab (i think dr wakefield might have had something to do with gastroenterology!?) I don't know if that would make my child more prone to probs or not.......i think what bugged me the most was the governments take on it. I thought they were there to represent people not to tell us what to do!! And it really, really bugs me that instead of having proper research done they just leave us not knowing what is right or wrong,

Hi Jayne :)

Take care, Lizzy xxx

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just on this debate.  We thought long and hard before giving Josh the go ahead for his MMR.

I think what finally settled it for me was the fact that one of the strains of Meningitis can come from measles (I think that's right either measles or mumps).  This made my mind up.

Josh got his jab last week and the research out this week I must say has totally re-assured me.

barbara

·
Registered
174 Posts
All,
sorry I feel really strongly about this subject.
I don't mean to sound partronising - so forgive me if it sounds that way.
I'm an older mum to be in my 40"s.

When I was a child in the 60's I remember it not being uncommon to see older people in calipers - rather like Forest Gump. I asked my father why this was and he explained to me that these people had caught polio when they were younger - there was no vaccination/ they were not vaccinated. There was no NHS people had to pay to see a GP.
He had a crippled friend who caught Polio from swimming in the local river.

Likewise - my parents remember people being sent away to rest in isolation for months because they had TB. Some recovered, some were died. Some were disabled for life. My aunts mother recovered but was always weak chested.

I caught Measles when I was 18months old - I was seriously ill with it - it nearly killed me. I later developed Epilepsy, there was no family history of this disease, I had no other illness of which it could be a symptom. I had scaring on the brain. Fortunately I was very lucky by the time I was in my 20's I had overcome this disability - but I have always wondered if it was because I caught Measles.

My ex boss caught Mumps as a child in the late 50's. He is a white southern Americian who was not vaccinated. It rendered him sterile. Since he could not have children they adopted two cheeky little black boys - this would have been unheard of in the 50's.

I'm sorry there is not sufficient scientific evidence against MMR I think there is a lot of hysteria going on and soon there will be increases in diseases that were once irradicated. The next thing will be people suing others because their child dies or became disabled.

Some people born after the 60's don't realise how dangerous it is not having your baby fully vaccinated. They've not seen or expereinced these diseases first hand. If people don't have the MMR - then they must ensure they have all three separate jabs.

I will go as far as to say - you are putting you child at risk without the jabs.
I'm 11 weeks pregnant my baby will be vaccinated.
Thank god I've had the Rubellla jab (German Measles) - I don't want a blind baby from an unvaccinated person but if they want one then that's their problem - providing the state does not have to pay.

Squeakx

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Squeak

I am sorry but i think you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick here. I know i am against the combined mmr jabs, but I know my son has to be vaccinated seperately and he is being done. I dont think anyone here is just not going to get their children vaccinated one way or another.
I had measles when i was 17 months old, mumps when i was 4years and chicken pox and german measles when i was 6.  I wouldnt want to put my son through all this either, but i am not even going to risk him ending with autism, and i know some people whos kids have ended up with it after the jabs. This is why i am willing to pay £240 for the jabs, followed by the same amount for the booster jabs.
Karen & Benjamin

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Hi Squeak

i respect what you are saying But i am going to shock you and probably a lot of others. Joe hasn't had the MMR and ISNT going to. Yes you can call me a bad mother if you want to. But there is epilepsy in my family and i have a cousin who was a perfect beautiful baby girl who after being immunized (not the MMR) fell into a coma and now is physically and mentally handicapped. I also have a friend who's perfect son had the MMR and now has Autism and is very backward.
Selfish i may be but i waited 21 years to have my little boy NO WAY am i risking anything happening to him now.
I wasn't immunized, neither was my sister or her 4 children.
I don't preach to people about what they should do its their children and they should do what they see fit.

Kim   

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
I also have a friend who's little boy now has Autism, signs picked up after about 2yrs, coincidence or not ?  We'll never know.

I am having Millie done with single jabs, like Kim,I have to say that after all the years I waited to get her & the money I spent on getting her, £300 is not a lot of money for peace of mind.  So we will have three separate jabs done from when she is 14mths old, until there is more research done I will not risk it.

My mum was given drugs in the 60's to prevent miscarriage whilst carrying me after previously losing two babies, that drug is now banned as causing infertility...so there we are, is this why I am infertile ??!....not enough research into anything these days :)

Love Amanda xxx

PS *** Can someone IM me with the list too please ?  thanks xx

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Squeak.....while i appreciate your point of view i do get a tad irked by the idea that if i don't have the mmr done then i am either against immunisation or too stupid to remember to get all three done.

I am neither irresponsible or hysterical but just a bit peed off....!

Lizzy

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Kim
I never knew that there was a link between the combined vac, and epilepsy. My brother has epilepsy really badly and no one has told me about this link. We were never immunised as you might have guessed, as i had all the illnesses when small (didnt have mmr when i was small..now 42!) and neither did my brother. Mum was told that the whooping cough one was connected with it though.
God i am glad i am doing them seperate now. Like you said, after waiting so many years to get our little angels, and the money we have already spent on acheiving our dreams, the extra few hundred pounds is nothing.

Karen & Benjamin

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Hi Karen

It wasnt the MMR vaccine that my cousin had they did say they thought it was the whooping cough one.

Love Kimx  x x

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Kim
Thanks for clearing that up. I did wonder why they hadnt offered the whooping cough one to us, as it is in the red book. Or is it just not offered anymore??
Karen & Benjamin

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Sorry for scaring you Jac. i dont believe in pushing my views on anyone. But just felt i needed to put my side in when Squeak was adamant about them being done. None of us are perfect and i dont class my self as a bad mother even though some may feel i am after deciding against the jabs.

You have to do what you feel, there are loads who have had them done and been fine its just when its close to home and with the weakness in our family i decided against.

Good luck

Karen  i couldnt tell you whether they still do them or not. Sorry.

love Kim x x x

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Jac :)

If you get anything from the HV worth mentioning, could you let us know on here please :)

Thanks hun xxxx

*Ps Kim....Anyone dares to think anything like that of you will have me to deal with ;)  Love to you all xxxxx

1 - 20 of 223 Posts