Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all are any of you worried about the loss of earnings while on Adoption Leave,it's just niggling away at me i know we all worry but the £117 per week don't even come close to covering my end of the bills i don't know how we will do it, anyone else feeling/Felt like this?
I'm thinking £117 week, then bout £20 week for child benefit and we were kinda hoping we might get tax credits?
Sorry for waffling.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Hi hun

Yes i can totally relate to this- we have just had our 2 placed with us and its fun sorting out money however this site may be able to give you an idea of what you will get.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/

I am not sure how many children you are looking to adopt however if you take a sibling group then you may be entitled to adoption allowance which is in addition to child benifit (it is a MAY as not all agencies offer this- Child benifit is £18.85 for 1st child and £12.55 for 2nd and so on)

We also got a "settling in grant" plus all the costs for intros inc fuel allowance are paid from our LA

We did save up some money each week to help cover the bills esp as my DH took 2weeks paternity and has lost 80% of his wages for the 2 weeks- he did 2 weeks hols too!

good luck hun

xxx

/links

·
Registered
437 Posts
i think everyone worries a little bit about the costs of raising a child.  You would be a bit odd not to have concerns.

I know it doesn't always work out, but if I were you , I would tell the sw that you feel a bit worried about managing on SAP alone - you never know - you might get adoption allowance to help or other support. There are funds out there if you can find them.

We were 'lucky/blessed' that our daughter came with full adoption allowance because she was assessed as having extra support needs that made her 'more difficult to place'. (despite I may add, being super gorgeous and not 'disabled' as such). We certainly did not use her 'adoption allowance' in our decision about her at all but it was lovely to find out as an 'extra suprise' when we were matched.

We got SAP plus 'foster to adopt' allowance (can't remember the figures but about £300 per month until we went to court) plus we got full cost recovery on 'placement costs' like mileage/treats and meals on days out/cost buying basics (£700).

We were by no means 'unable to adopt without financial help' but it was a really big help to know that some costs were covered for us as my work only paid statutory minimum adoption leave and I was taking 9 months leave.  

Even now (after court) we get adoption allowance which pays for gym and swimming classes, todder groups and extra speech therapy.  This is on top of child benefit. We will get this for the next 3 years when it will be re-assessed.  With only one of us working it is a big help and ensures our daughter get to do everything that is encouraged by her gp etc for 'bringing her on'.

What I am saying (badly) is that it is worth sharing your fears with your sw as you never know what might be out there unless you ask.  We might never have got help if we hadn't mentioned something about the drop in money in the session that we were doing on financial stuff.

Magenta x

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I can so sympathise, I had to go back to work after only 6 weeks as we could not afford the drop in income.  It wasn't a major concern for us of the SS as both me and DH work part-time so there was always one of us at home but in an ideal world I would have liked to been able to stay longer at home.

I think you should raise your concerns with your SW, explain that you want to do the best for any child but financially you would struggle.  I know other people that got support, unfortunately for me our LA didn't think we merited it.

Best of luck
Cindy

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Hi

We have been worrying about this more since we were linked with our Littlie, especially as the cost of food, fuel etc etc keeps going up and I am taking 12 months out of work.  We have been used to earning good money and spending without really having to think to much - nothing outrageous but if we want a meal out we can or a dvd for example.  We have saved throughout the process and weren't planning on applying for an adoption allowance having been linked to 1 child, siblings would have been different. 

However, our SW told us to fill in the form and see what happens, nothing to lose sort of thing, and we are going to get a full allowance of £63 per week then child benefit of £18/week on top of adoption leave pay.  It wouldn't have stopped us from going ahead with the match if we weren't getting anything but it does kind of help give some peace of mind.

We were told at various times finances wouldn't stop the right match going ahead, they would sort something out. 

Show your commitment by saving, even if only a little bit a month, but definately raise your concerns with SW from the 'best interest of a child' point of view.

Good luck
Love
OT x

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
Hiya

The others have given you some great advice :)

We had concerns about finances as we are in a slighty different situation as we have our fostering income which meant I dropped hours at work etc to concentrate on fostering , then we are now applying to adopt our little one with us which meant foster payments would cease completely! Which leaves us with a lot out of pocket, so to speak. The adoption unit even said that if we didnt already have him here they would have expected me to give up work also. Which would have meant losing my pay as well as fostering pay!

You may find like us that the child/children you are matched with come with an adoption allowance. When K got his freeing order from the court for adoption they wrote in to his conditions that he comes with an adoption allowance. What it is I have no idea and I think it is also means tested.

As the others say just be honest with your sw :)

xx

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone you have given me great advice, i know in Hs we talk about finances so i will bring it up,they know what comes in and goes out each month as we had to write it in our app form, in general i'm a worrier and i didn't want SW to think any less of us if we own up and admit i'm a little worried about finance i just want to be totally focused on the child and not money worries we have been on our own for 15yrs doing as we like when we like and i'm just worried we won't be able to provide for them, in all LA has been really good they paid for CRB checks and Medicals so fingers crossed,
Thanks
Daisy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
19 Posts
Old Timer said:
Hi

We have been worrying about this more since we were linked with our Littlie, especially as the cost of food, fuel etc etc keeps going up and I am taking 12 months out of work. We have been used to earning good money and spending without really having to think to much - nothing outrageous but if we want a meal out we can or a dvd for example. We have saved throughout the process and weren't planning on applying for an adoption allowance having been linked to 1 child, siblings would have been different.

However, our SW told us to fill in the form and see what happens, nothing to lose sort of thing, and we are going to get a full allowance of £63 per week then child benefit of £18/week on top of adoption leave pay. It wouldn't have stopped us from going ahead with the match if we weren't getting anything but it does kind of help give some peace of mind.

We were told at various times finances wouldn't stop the right match going ahead, they would sort something out.

Show your commitment by saving, even if only a little bit a month, but definately raise your concerns with SW from the 'best interest of a child' point of view.

Good luck
Love
OT x
What is adoption allowance and how does one qualify?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Hi Steve

My LA gives adoption allowance until each child turns 18yrs old for those taking sibling groups- it is means tested and i dont know how much you get as i still need to send our claim in!

Some single children will come with an adoption allowance too however it is depending on what ahs been put in place for them

Your SW/LA will be able to advise of this

hope this is of some help

x

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
Some children come with adoption allowance if they are deemed to need it to help with costs for further help they may require in the future. Such as playtherapy or something.

As MJ says it depends on your LA as to what critera they set for it so best to speak to your sw

xx

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Each LA is different as far as adoption allowance is concerned so it really is best to talk to your own LAs.

We had to have the full support package sorted for panel, in our LA its a criteria they want now before panel will look at the reports.  We didn't think we'd get anything but we applied with the 'nothing to lose attitdue'.

OT x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts