Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Peter,

I have just had a second neg IUI. The first was two follies with 30m washed sperm with 85% motility and the second was definitely three follies, with a possibility that there could have been five in the end as I had two at 13mm at the last scan, and this one we had 11m washed sperm.

Two questions really - nobody seemed bothered that the washed sperm count was so vastly different but to dh and me, that seems a pretty drastic difference, and dh has done nothing different to last month and my second question is, our only "known" problem is cervical hostility - is it worth persevering with IUI or putting that money towards IVF? It seems most girls on here are doing IVF and it seems to have the best success rate - what would you recommend to one of your patients in this situation?

I am going to see the consultant who did my lap at a different hospital next week to get his opinion so it would be good to have a comparison.

Thanks Peter,

Jen

·
Registered
856 Posts
Please see my comments in your text:

Serafena said:
Hi Peter,

I have just had a second neg IUI.

Sorry to hear that.

The first was two follies with 30m washed sperm with 85% motility and the second was definitely three follies, with a possibility that there could have been five in the end as I had two at 13mm at the last scan, and this one we had 11m washed sperm.

Two questions really - nobody seemed bothered that the washed sperm count was so vastly different but to dh and me, that seems a pretty drastic difference, and dh has done nothing different to last month

There is no real significance in the different sperm counts as both would have had good motility and that's the importnat thing in IUI.

and my second question is, our only "known" problem is cervical hostility - is it worth persevering with IUI or putting that money towards IVF?

Difficult one. Has your husband had the morphology of his sperm assessed? If not I would get this done before more IUI. Make sure that it is done properly, most clinics just take a cursory glance when what it really needs is to be stained on a slide and carefully assessed. Assuming that the morphology is OK I would give it another 2-3 IUI and then consider moving on.

It seems most girls on here are doing IVF and it seems to have the best success rate - what would you recommend to one of your patients in this situation?

See above

I am going to see the consultant who did my lap at a different hospital next week to get his opinion so it would be good to have a comparison.

I hope that we agree!

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Jen

1 - 2 of 2 Posts