Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

we passed the screening but then put all on hold as we are going through a busy time. A side issue is that we were planning a home extention to give more space to kids, but now with house price falling we imagine it may be better to wait and change home in a year or two, when we are hoping to be approved.

Has anybody gone through home study and changing home simultaneously? I imagine it is quite a lot of stress, but prefer this to moving after placement.... the main query is are SW put off by this? Our home has 'passed the screening', but as we both work mostly from home, more place would be really useful.

Billy

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't know as not been through it, however our SW said they wouldn't want us to move after placement for quite some time, so I guess better now than then!!
Good luck!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hiya,

We moved near the end of our home study and was approved 2 months after the move.

Our s/w was aware we were planning to move (sale sign a bit of a giveaway ;D) and didnt see it as a show stopper, we only moved about a mile up the road so still had family support networks nearby.

When we moved in she came and had a good luck round and was ok.  she freaked out a bit about the pond in the back garden! but this is securely fenced in now anyway.

good luck

Dawny

xx

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Hi

We too moved during HS however this was due to our house being brought for regeneration in our local area and we got the letter to confirm purchase the day we sent off 1st forms to LA, we told the LA when we did our screening as they were happy as long as we moved before approval panel as other wise in our form F (this is what panel see and also childrens SWers) it would ahve always said "due to move house" and we wouldnt get looked at for children as all LAC (looked after children) have had a few moves in their little lives and its not far to move house within about 2-3yrs of them coming home! (2-3yrs is my idea of "ok" )

I would say if your planning on moving house maybe you could start looking now and saee "whats out there" as such as you may find that you are happier in your own home and to extend on.

Good luck with your choice

xxx

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Hi there

We'll be moving house within 6 months of our child coming home.  ^scared^

We've known for the past 5 years that we will need to move at the end of this year because my DH will be qualified and looking for a job, and in his line of work houses come with jobs.  We know it isn't ideal but have been honest with SW from the very beginning. We have made it clear that if we really had to then we can stay on where we are just now for a few extra months.  We got asked about it at approval panel, but they weren't concerned at all about the first move, only how often we'd move after that.  We'd hope not to move within 20 years so they said that was fine.

Got Matching Panel in 3 days so really hoping they won't have a problem with it either!  ^pray^

Bx

·
Registered
193 Posts
We moved so that my hubbie could go to Uni again (long story but we had known it was coming for more than 5 years!) in the time between being linked and our little one being matched and placed with us.

It wasn't easy in that social services took a lot of convincing that we were happy and stable in ournew environments but it worked in the end.

We moved in early September little bear placed on november 14th!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi

Our SS advised us that it was ok to move during HS but the sooner the better...the further you get towards Panel the less happy they are with it as they have cncerns about House Move stress and chaos conflicting with the intesnity of the adoption process and also the stability of any newly placed child. They als said they don't like us to mve house for a full year after placement.

Because we were concerned about staying in our very small house for a full year we looked into moving early on during our Home Study, but we found it too intense and stressful along with the Prep course and Home Study, and we took our house off the market after only 6 weeks.

We are 2/3 through HS now and I am glad we didn't put ourselves through it...though everyones different of course and I can appreciate it depends n your circumstances too.

Good luck

E xxx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts