Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies

Anyone moved from normal SMA to the Hungry Baby one?  If so, when, ie how many weeks old, did you do this and did you encounter any issues?

Have a 12 week old, 5 weeks corrected who is needing more than 7oz each feed...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Forgive me if I'm wrong but we changed to this with DS2 but Chux told me that it actually contains no more calories than the normal formula so is really a bit of a con. It made no difference to DS2's feed times or night waking so we didn't bother in the end.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Han, sorry it didnt work for you, I've heard that it may be a bit of a con, havent relented yet going to see how I get on as we are. 

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
As Han says, it doesn't contain any more calories, it's just harder to digest so could cause it's own problems. However, any change in formula can take them a few days to get used to.

They do tend to have a growth spurt around 12 weeks so this could be why he's wanting more as he's looking for more calories. How often is he feeding?

You really need to look at how much he is having on average over the course of a day and it should roughly be 2-2.5 times his weight, however some will have more and some less. Is he gaining weight ok and roughly following a centile?

Tbh I'd be inclined to feed more often and see if he does settle down. I am BF'ing so have absolutely no idea how much my LO is having, but she's the same age as your ds and has barely stopped over the last 48 hours!

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pinkcat - He's on 6 x 7oz feeds a day.  More often than not he'll take the whole lot, some times he'll miss about 10 or 20mls.  He also has about 3 to 4oz of water a day as well.

Chux - His feeding has gone totally eratic.  He had 3 bottles this morning between 6.30 and 11.00 which is nuts.  He polished off one of these totally and the other two he took about 150 to 180mls from.  He does average between 1,000 and 1,150mls per day and is putting on weight brilliantly.  Think he's on the 75th percentile.

Might give it a shot and see how we get on as if I dont try it I wont know and it might be the key, or could not be for him.  Will wait til current stocks run out then maybe try it.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi pinkcat
He doesnt always take it, maybe 8 times out of 10.  Unfortunately the Dr Browns dont really hold more than 7oz, even though they say 8oz, but then there's a line right above saying dont fill beyond this level - dont think they thought that one through taking into consideration water and powder.  Might try making another bottle so he could have more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts